View Poll Results: Fender Elliminators: Yay! or Nay!

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Squiddy as they come.

3 4.41%
  • Who the h*ll cares.

5 7.35%
  • I have/would put one on.

60 88.24%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fender Elliminator Kits (Poll)

Fender Elliminator Kits (Poll)

Stupid question, but this has been bugging me for a bit.

What's the deal with Fender Elliminator kits, and why does every "You know your a squid if..." thread mentions that if you have one, you are, but at the same time everyone seems to have them?

I bring this up because I was reading a flame thread somewhere else about it and I'm really just curious.

I've never used one in the past on any bike, but I'm seriously considering it for my new RSV, because the stock one is HUGE and has crappy bicycle reflectors on it. I mean, would YOU leave this thing on?

Take a look at this pic, and tell me what you think of the stock "fender" and then, take a vote on it: Fender Elliminators or ??

*edit*
    I would have already taken that damn plate cover off, but it was the only thing holding the temp tag down.
    Last edited by Sarge; Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 04:51 AM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Re: Fender Elliminator Kits (Poll)

I'd get em, they'll look good on your bike. In my opinion It's the immature things people do on the streets that makes em squids. Everything else, I don't really care about.
    91 FZR 600
    82 Custom XV750

It does streamline the look of the bike a lot. Just be careful because bases are lame about stuff like that.

I've removed the stock fender on damn near every bike I've ever owned, and that includes my Ape. I've never looked at a bike with a fender elim. kit and thought, "That tool is just a squid!" Now, when I see a chromed-out, stretched swingarm, lowered bike with spikes for fairing bolts and a rear tire wider than my Blazer's, then I think, "What a freakin' squid."

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    I've removed the stock fender on damn near every bike I've ever owned, and that includes my Ape. I've never looked at a bike with a fender elim. kit and thought, "That tool is just a squid!" Now, when I see a chromed-out, stretched swingarm, lowered bike with spikes for fairing bolts and a rear tire wider than my Blazer's, then I think, "What a freakin' squid."
    Ugh, Hayabusa, anyone?

Hate to troll my own thread here, but I feel the exact same thing about 4x4's and big trucks/SUVs with 24" or bigger rims and low pro racing tires. I mean, wtf? It's a damn 4x4, not an F1 racer. I mean, you actually want to be able to drive in the snow, etc, with a 4x4 or big SUV, so why completely destroy the tranny, suspension, driveability and traction by putting huge, spinning wheels on it? The only thing I'd put low pro tires on is an M3 GTR or something.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

IMO, if you like the looks, put one on... simple as that. Other people's opinions only go as far as the amount of money they're willing to pay for your bike. Since that's not likely to happen, it's yours, do what you want.

Example:
    Here's a stock 07 Speed Triple (although they did take off the mirrors and front brake reservoir)

Here's mine - sans fender, passenger pegs, pipes, chrome..... etc...

Do what you want, you're paying for it.
    Last edited by salsashark; Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 07:19 AM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I agree with Salsa, do what you want.

Personally, I would just chop the plastic off below the plate and see how that looks first. Quick, easy and cheap. Then if you don't like that, get a kit. I def think it makes it look more streamlined.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    I agree with Salsa, do what you want.

Personally, I would just chop the plastic off below the plate and see how that looks first. Quick, easy and cheap. Then if you don't like that, get a kit. I def think it makes it look more streamlined.

I was already planning on this, at the least. Just have to get home and get plates on it. 5 more months in the desert...
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Quote Originally Posted by sgt775 View Post
    I was already planning on this, at the least. Just have to get home and get plates on it. 5 more months in the desert...
    I'll have a beer for you in two when I get home

Dude!!!! Get that boat motor off the back of your bike!!!!! (that is just my opinion)

I have a barely legal mount of my plate on my R-1 and ride it on Ft. Carson quite a bit and have yet to get hassled for the way my plate is mounted. You should be fine, and if you want, when you get home, you can come over and we can make you a custom plate mount that will look cool and be legal.

There's no place like home............

I installed my FE because it tidied up the rear. I just felt the stock looked waaay too obnoxious. What I like about mine is that it's not tucked underneath too far like some others I've seen, and it's still visible- the AF base hasn't had a problem with it.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

On topic: I voted yes. Yours looks about as easy as mine was, so it'll be a quick job and it'll look damn good too.

Off topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Him: I'm going for a ride honey.
    Her: Why do you always have to leave and ride on that stupid motorcycle?
    Him: Because of your attitude. Plus, there's dishes to be washed.
    Her: I can't believe you just said that, it's me or the bike!
    Guy sitting in chair: Holy shit! Did you just hear what that bitch said?
    Him: Well, have fun washing the dishes! I'm out!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

R1/R6 are obnoxious looking, so I got rid of mine.
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....

Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    Dude!!!! Get that boat motor off the back of your bike!!!!! (that is just my opinion)

I have a barely legal mount of my plate on my R-1 and ride it on Ft. Carson quite a bit and have yet to get hassled for the way my plate is mounted. You should be fine, and if you want, when you get home, you can come over and we can make you a custom plate mount that will look cool and be legal.

Thank you, lol. Thankfully, checking it out, there's nothing to it at all, just a few nuts, no lights, wires, etc. I've seen some complicated setups, like on an SV650, where there's actually a rear fender and everything attached. It seems like in this case they actually WANT you to remove the damn thing.

I'm all about being visible, my tail light is like 18 superbright LEDs and I don't have a switch to turn them off, but the amount of reflectors, etc and the sheer size of the thing is just too much.

It's funny, bringing this question to the CSC everybody is so much on the same page and just respectful about it. I was checking out some old posts on SVrider and a few others where people were flaming back and forth, and just about every "You know you're a squid if..." thing I've ever seen says that Fender Elliminators = , so I figured I'd test the waters out here, with the locals.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

Gotta say CSC is one cool group, so ya they will flame but mostly out of fun, mainly due to the fact we actually look at each other now and then.
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....

The main problam with the Ape's, and several other bikes, is the elongation of plastic under the plate bracket. The damn thing looks like a friggin' wheelie bar or something. Since my turn signals are integrated into my brake light on my ZX10, I have a simple plastic license plate bracket that bolts onto the undertail. It looks exactly like this:

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    The main problam with the Ape's, and several other bikes, is the elongation of plastic under the plate bracket. The damn thing looks like a friggin' wheelie bar or something. Since my turn signals are integrated into my brake light on my ZX10, I have a simple plastic license plate bracket that bolts onto the undertail. It looks exactly like this:

Now that thing is simply sexy. You have to do any drilling or anything to put it on? The less the better.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Quote Originally Posted by sgt775 View Post

It's funny, bringing this question to the CSC everybody is so much on the same page and just respectful about it. I was checking out some old posts on SVrider and a few others where people were flaming back and forth, and just about every "You know you're a squid if..." thing I've ever seen says that Fender Elliminators = , so I figured I'd test the waters out here, with the locals.
    This is a special group of flamers. I mean flaming posts are common here. I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite View Post
    Gotta say CSC is one cool group, so ya they will flame but mostly out of fun, mainly due to the fact we actually look at each other now and then.
    This.

This changes everything on an online forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    This is a special group of flamers. I mean flaming posts are common here. I mean...
    It happens... I'm tempted to bring up the question of Frame Sliders, but I think I'd get much of the same reaction as I did with FE kits.

I understand the risks with the things, but I've low sided with sliders, and without, and you better believe that I'll have a full set on my Priller before I start breaking her in on the Colorado twisties. I'm a bit spoiled, in Nevada they don't use salt on the roads around the lake, and they pile the dirty snow in the middle of the road and actually clean it up afterwards.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Frame sliders =

You might as well go ahead and get a full cage and a 12 o'clock bar.........

(sorry, just had to do it even though frame sliders come highly reccomended from the "cool kids" around here)

Hah, figured I'd hit a nerve with that one, but hey, you've owned an Ape before, you ever tried to get factory plastics, or ANY parts for that matter, for the damn things?
    Last edited by Sarge; Sun Oct 17th, 2010 at 05:36 AM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Frame sliders are probably more highly reccomended around here than fender eliminators. There is alot of sand/dirt/mud/animals on the roads at any given time of year so frame sliders are a must. I am pretty sure Jackel on here can get you some frame sliders at a good price.

One of our esteemed members suggested frame sliders as the first, most important mod for my new bike. I wanted to talk slip-ons and suspension but...