O.k. so a little over a month ago, I purchased a 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW(6.7 Cummins obviously) with the 6 speed auto. I was sad to see my 07 5.9 go, but I was having issues getting it re-financed and wanted a lower payment. So I ended up with a year newer truck with a considerably less payment.

Anyways, a buddy of mine has a 08 2500 6.7(that he purchased new), and he never has gotten the MPG's that I ever did with my 07 5.9L, which I figured was due to the DPF and all that BS.

So he unplugged his EGR and hence his MPG's when up, but he never equaled mine. So when I traded in my 07, I knew I wouldn't be getting great MPG's, and for the record, my best in the 07 5.9 City MPG's were 18 and highway 26. I normally ran between 15 and 17mpg's in the city and almost always a constant 25mpg's on the highway(and no I'm not making this up, it was all hand calculated). Also my 07, was modded with a home depot intake, amsoil filter, Diamond Eye cat-back, PUSHER intake and Hypertech Max Energy - set on Stage 2

Here's where the plot thickens. In my quest for exact mpg's from the 08, I've been driving it as much as I can, taking a few highway trips that lasted 4+ hours, etc etc.

My first initial fill up from the dealer netted me 11mpg!!! I figured I was screwed. I knew I would get bad mpg's but not this bad. So then, I went at it again. Another fill up and I got 13mpg. Improvement but not great(this is all city driving mind you).

So next, I ordered a MBRP muffler delete pipe. Did the Home Depot intake again, and installed another Amsoil nanofiber. With the combination of these three mods, I did a mix of City and Highway driving(where I took my long trips) and was netted with 17mpg's and then 16.5mpg's. Not bad a good improvement, but with a mix of highway and city, I figured it would be at least close to 20mpg's(I will say, that my City/Highway mix driving was probably a 70/30 mix). I thought I was at an impasse, until I finally caved in and DISCONNECTED the EGR...

My reason for not disconnecting, was I wanted to see what I could get by doing it the proper way(meaning EGR plugged in). I wanted to see how good I could really get the mpg's with everything plugged in.

So I broke down, unplugged the EGR, ran the truck all this past week and decided to fill up today(eventhough I had only traveled 110 miles). My main reason for filling up was I got to use a King Soopers card and get 10cents off a gallon(hey I take what I can get, especially when it's free). And I was curious as to what my MPG's would be, as I noticed the fuel gauge needle had hardly moved all week(only used an 1/8th of a tank, wasn't even close to 3/4's yet).

Well with 110 miles driven, I filled up with only 5.4 gallons... Yep a measly 5.4 gallons which netted me 20.3MPG's!!!

20.3 mpg's all CITY driving. All I did was go back and forth to work this past week, with some running around doing errands. 20 FREAKING MPG's in the city!!

To tell you the truth, when I saw this figure, I went from six o'clock to midnight in a heartbeat. I've never seen that high in the city, even with my 07 5.9 truck.

Lastly, I just got my Hypertech Max Energy today. Installed it on the truck and set it at Stage 2. We'll see how it affects the mpg's either + or - and I'll have to report back. Chances are, it won't make it go down, as I tend to drive very conservative even with the extra power on tap.

But even if it doesn't change for good or bad, I pretty sure I can live with 20mpg's in the city, I can't wait to see what happens on the highway.