Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Workout Supplements - Pre and Post

Workout Supplements - Pre and Post

Hey guys and girls,

Just wanted to start a discussion on pre and post workout supplements. This is specific to building lean muscle and increasing mass.

Right now this is what I take:

Daily:
    Men's Daily Pack vitamins: Multi, Vitamin C, D and some other stuff
    Fish oil

Pre workout:
    GNC Amplified N.O. Loaded

Post workout:
    GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60
    GNC Amplified Creatine 189

Workout (4 day rotation):
    Chest
    Arms
    Shoulders/Back
    Legs

Each day I also do about 30 min on the bike and some ab/core workout.

So, what have you guys used to add muscle quickly? Any pros/cons for pre and post workout supplements? What has worked and what do you stay away from?

All comments are greatly appreciated!!!
    Casey D

Re: Workout Supplements - Pre and Post

I anticipate Nate's longest post ever soon...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I usually drink a Monster, then go take the dog out, then sit back on the couch and have another Monster.

But yeah, Nate should be in here pretty soon. He's up on his pre/post workout stuff. If I ever have questions, he's the first person I ask.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    So, what have you guys used to add muscle quickly? Any pros/cons for pre and post workout supplements? What has worked and what do you stay away from?

All comments are greatly appreciated!!!

Add dry muscle

Workout
    TAKE HALOTREN (you can get it at "Save on Suppliments" Kipling and Bowles beside 24 hour fitness)
    Eat right

PROS ....it WORKS ( I am 43 and this stuff ROCKS)
    PROS .... only 2 pills (one in the AM, and one PM)
    CONS .... High Price ~$70
    CONS .... You should only take it 2 months, then 2 months off. (I do one month on and one month off)

http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

I've never tried Halotren before but I definitely like the reviews. Seems to be exactly what I need.

I also plan on going to Save on Supplements for now on. I never heard about that place until I joined up at 24hr last month. Guess its the place to go
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    I anticipate Nate's longest post ever soon...
    lol..you asked for it, and this is even keeping it simple.

Basically diet is probably 70% if not higher in gaining muscle mass and it really depends on your goal. If you want to get really bigger and have a fast metabolism, like me, then you are going to have to eat a lot of protein and basically get fat, then lean it all out.

I did 5,000 calories a day for 2 months, stopped all cardio, did a lot of legs and heavy lifting. I gained a lot of weight, but fat too. Then I shredded it all by doing cardio again and limiting my calories.

Currently I eat every two hours, mainly about 3-4 whey protein shakes a day, which comes out to over 250 grams of protein a day just from shakes; they say 1-2 grams per pound of body weight. I am working out 6 days a week though and need the protein.

As for supplements it really depends how far you want to go and what you feel is "safe". Just remember that a lot of supplements are not FDA approved so you never know what you are putting in.

As Puckstr (you ever seen the size of his arms!) said Halotren is a great supplement and I have done it before and by far the best supplement I have ever tried. Anything like that is going to be hard on your kidneys and should be taken correctly with time off, liver regen supplement, and post-cycle.
    http://www.saveonsupplements.com/newliverclean.html
    http://www.saveonsupplements.com/halotren.html
    http://www.saveonsupplements.com/postcycle.html

I love Powerlab Nutrition, who makes Halotren, and pair it with there pre-workout drink Mass Pump, which does not give the water weight as most creatine drinks.

http://www.saveonsupplements.com/masspump.html

For post workout I just drink a protein shake within 1/2 hour after workout....no later than 1/2 hour as this is the most important time to get protein!!!!

A good multi vitamin of course

Lots of water and proper rest

Eat healthy (limit sodas, fried foods, and alcohol)

And always push yourself harder eachworkout and change up your routine a lot. Too many people get comfortable with one routine or weight, but or bodies need to be challenged to keep growing. Also remember to lift really heavy sometimes because these kick in your secondary muscles that only work when you are struggling and are the one that grow big.

I went from 135 to 190 (currently at 175 because I like to have ripped abs and be lean), in a few years and this is all a huge science and a lot of time can be wasted if not done right. Protein/calories are the main thing here if you want to get bigger because if you are not getting enough you will be gaining muscle, then your body will eat that muscle because it needs the energy, being counterproductive. When you get to your target then concentrate on keeping it, by eating healthy and balancing the protien/calories with cardio.
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Oct 18th, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Good write up.

Protein, protein, protein & water, water water.......change up the routines by periodizing them. Make sure to supplement your hypertrophy training with some functional training.

HGH if you got a ton of cash laying around
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

I was about to say..

During workout:
    water!!

I haven't been working out much and need to get back into it more. I would be down to set goals with you Casey and be a long distance workout buddy to help push each other if you want. ??

check out freetrainers.com. Put in your present situation and goals and it will breakdown the type of diet you should have. Protein, carbs, fat, calorie..

I usually do full body work out 12 times a week for an hour each time. Cardio, calisthenics free weight and stacked weights. What kind of build are you looking for?? I am assuming more of an all around strong muscle yet flexible rather than a stocky power lifter right?

Usually I am about 165lbs with about 3-4% fat (Just means I don't have to suck in my gut to look good, jk Nate!!). The only supplements I take are morning Men's vitamin, protein shakes (whey of course) and some creatine. Mostly cause I could not get enough in my diet.

lift on liftas
    Last edited by Scer; Mon Oct 18th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

p90x.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Scer View Post

Usually I am about 165lbs with about 3-4% fat (Just means I don't have to suck in my gut to look good, jk Nate!!).
    lol...I knew you werre going to say that. Like I said that was during my gaining period and really the only way for a skinny ass like me to gain weight. Did that and leaned it all out, but kept the strength and muscle. You would be proud Scer, I am back down to like a 30 inch waist and no gut.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    p90x.
    Three times a week I do the ab P90X and it works...tough stuff though. I don't do the other workouts though because I would loss too much weight since it is mainly cardio driven....
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Oct 18th, 2010 at 02:13 PM.

LOL. I had to bro...

Nice to hear man. I am still stubborn and staying on the gain as I go program. We will call it my muscle layaway program. haha.

I am proud of you mi hijo! I don't have to hide the snickers bars anymore. :P I need your number btw! Text me. 720.323.6162.

play on playas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

I juice (not-roids) daily. Jack Lalane Juicer. I wore out my Juice man Jr.
    I don't know if this helps for muscles but It makes me feel great.

The Power is in da Juice

Breakfast
    Juice: Try to stick with Organic produce if possible

2 tomatoes
    1 apple
    1 carrot
    2 celery stalks
    Grapes
    Parsley (be NEAR a toilet..... it can cause you to poop like crazy...but that is a good thing)

During the day eat bannas to keep up your potasium.

I have tried the protein shakes but they made me put on fat. Me no like that.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstr View Post
    I juice (not-roids) daily. Jack Lalane Juicer. I wore out my Juice man Jr.
    I don't know if this helps for muscles but It makes me feel great.

The Power is in da Juice
    I have been buying the mixed frozen fruit bags from Costco and throwing those into a vanila protein shake and blend. Get my juice and protein in at the same time.

Breakfast for me is a bowl of whole grain Oatmeal and a protein shake.....

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I have been buying the mixed frozen fruit bags from Costco and throwing those into a vanila protein shake and blend. Get my juice and protein in at the same time.

Breakfast for me is a bowl of whole grain Oatmeal and a protein shake.....
    I also eat a bowl of Fat free yogurt with oats and agave nectar (for taste)

I tried the EAS protein stuff from Sam's and it made me sick to my stomach.

This stuff was BAD for me.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstr View Post
    I also eat a bowl of Fat free yogurt with oats and agave nectar (for taste)

I tried the EAS protein stuff from Sam's and it made me sick to my stomach.

This stuff was BAD for me.

Any chance you could be lactose intolerant? I am and I found that Elite is the easiest to digest because they add proprietary digestive enzymes. It is also one of the best tasting of the many I have tried
    http://www.saveonsupplements.com/ndyel5pr.html

If you are worried about fat and have extra money, they make a liquid protein with zero fat! I say save the moeny and stay on the elliptical machine an extra 15 minutes instead

http://www.saveonsupplements.com/ellipr.html
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Oct 18th, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Glutamine is also an important supplement to use and helps with soreness. It is cheap and tasteless....

Here is one kind:
    http://www.saveonsupplements.com/opglut.html

Any chance you could be lactose intolerant? I am and I found that Elite is the easiest to digest because they add proprietary digestive enzymes. It is also one of the best tasting of the many I have tried
    http://www.saveonsupplements.com/ndyel5pr.html

If you are worried about fat and have extra money, they make a liquid protein with zero fat! I say save the moeny and stay on the elliptical machine an extra 15 minutes instead

http://www.saveonsupplements.com/ellipr.html

I have tried the Elite product and had good results. I actually had to buy larger shirts..woo hoo

When I tried the EAS crap I was being cheap and that was a big mistake.

I may have to check on the "Elite liquid protein"

Three times a week I do the ab P90X and it works...tough stuff though. I don't do the other workouts though because I would loss too much weight since it is mainly cardio driven....
    There are really only two cardio driven sections of it...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I'm way out of the loop and practice but I used to play this game....

have you checked out the AR forums? - google anabolic review...

If you are really looking for people who've figured this out - these guys have. I'm not pushing steriods and many many of the members of this site do not do steroids and are big and ripped - I used to be one who was small and ripped. Good information -just a thought.

Nate (who i'm sure looks like his post sounds) is right....building lean muscle fast is 70%+ diet 30% harder work in the gym than you're used to. You need to eat more protein than you think you can - the cleaner you can keep the rest of your calories the less fat you add while gaining that lean mass - that's the bottom line from my experience.
    First, the only person you have anything to prove to is yourself. Second, you can watch life with your nose pressed up against the glass. Or you can swing the doors open and step inside.

AKA "Devaclis"

If you want to gain muscle, eat muscle. Lots of beef works well

I am in the prep stages for hibernation so I am all about the berries and field grass and the occasional chunk of pot roast. I only eat the fat. The cats get the rest. I recommend a very high carb liquid bread diet as well
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I'll throw in my .02 cents here. Most has been hit on but one thing I wanted to point out. Is if you're trying to grow and add muscle fast. You need to shock your muscles as much as possible and also lift heavy.

Shocking your muscles is not getting your muscles used to a specific training regimen. Mix it up, when targeting a specific muscle group. The main reason for mixing up your training routine is so you don't plateau. So do the same workout routine for a few weeks, then completely change it up. You're still targeting the same muscle group but using different techniques.

Heavy weights are another key. Don't kill yourself(or strain something) but don't sit there and lift weights that don't make you break a sweat. You want to lift heavy and keep your reps down. Sure lighter weight and higher reps are great for blood volume, but in my experience they don't offer the same growth as heavy weights and low reps.

Everyone responds differently though, some guys really grow on lighter weight/high rep routines, while others grow with the heavy weight/low rep routine. I fell in the latter category, I tried to do more volume and didn't see results. It's all in your body make-up. I will say that it is nice to polish off a training session of heavy lifting with one last exercise of high rep and light weight and blast it out as quickly as possible.

The things that helped me grow were Whey protein, Creatine and tribulus. I really can't give you great nutrition advice, as I never really got into being ripped and I like to eat. So I went for size and strength.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I'm glad this thread was started, i just started working out two weeks ago... Last year i weighed 135lbs, this year i weigh 175lbs, and not it's not muscle. I'm not fate, but i'm not muscle either. So i just started working out to build muscle.. I've really stuck to it thus far, but it's only been a few weeks. I've changed my diet, alot more protein, no soda at all, and i drink mostly water, and some beer. I know the beer isn't good, but i don't go overbored, one or two a week. I'm currently drinking a muscle milk before work out (30mins) and another right after i work out. I'm a bit lost in the gym as to what i need to be doing exactly, i feel scattered. A friend at work has suggested i try No-explode to get me a bit more motivated and to help get a better pump, any suggestions for me?

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Ohhhnly girrrlie-menn uuuse sooplements, ja!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)