Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Workout Supplements - Pre and Post

Re: Workout Supplements - Pre and Post

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    My pre workout shake consists of a baked sweet potato, milk, protein powder, and peanut butter. Blend it all up and it's pretty tastey. Lotta good starchy carbs. Sweet taters are loaded with good shit. Post work out I go with a protein shake and some white grape juice to restore glycogen.

Damn that does sound good. Right now I am pissed I forgot to bring a can opener to work... no tuna fish for me today.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by puckstr View Post
    Damn that does sound good. Right now I am pissed I forgot to bring a can opener to work... no tuna fish for me today.
    be a man use your teeth

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    be a man use your teeth

Believe me, I can skip a meal

Senior Member Yearly Supporter gtn's Avatar

I like to eat a Cliffs Builder on the way to the gym. Pretty good balance of protein, fat, and carbs. Seems to hold me until just the end, then I go out to the truck and grab my protein shake out of the cooler.
    Gary
    08 CBR1000rr - Candy Dark Red/Metallic Silver

I work out mon-friday and sometimes on sunday (depending on how I feel) at the 24hr Fitness on Southgate in the Springs. Anyone else go there? As far as supplements go, I currently am taking the GNC Sport Multi-Vitamin one a day in the mornings, Jack3d for a pre-workout and recently switched my protein to the GNC AMP Wheybolic Extreme about 2 months ago. I love the Jack3d, crazy energy and gains, although it makes me sweat like crazy. The Wheybolic Extreme is an excellent protein. Very happy with the switch.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Believe me, I can skip a meal
    Yeah, unfortunately he is around 300 pounds and 40% body fat...poor guy. You should probably skip more then one meal buddy
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately he is around 300 pounds and 40% body fat...poor guy. You should probably skip more then one meal buddy
    lol welcome to ouchtown population...you!

mmmm tuna fish (opened)

So my left shoulder started bothering me Sunday, not sure why as I didn't lift or do anything strenuous over the weekend. Went to the gym yesterday and benched and did some shrugs without issue. Tried to do some barbell military presses with just the barbell to see how my should would feel and it didn't feel too bad. Put 25's on both sides which I can normally pretty easily do and I got a real sharp pain in my shoulder. Pain is just a dull pain today unless I move my arm in certain directions. Really pissed now because I was just getting into a nice groove with my workouts.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    So my left shoulder started bothering me Sunday, not sure why as I didn't lift or do anything strenuous over the weekend. Went to the gym yesterday and benched and did some shrugs without issue. Tried to do some barbell military presses with just the barbell to see how my should would feel and it didn't feel too bad. Put 25's on both sides which I can normally pretty easily do and I got a real sharp pain in my shoulder. Pain is just a dull pain today unless I move my arm in certain directions. Really pissed now because I was just getting into a nice groove with my workouts.

The shoulder is comprised of a lot of muscles so it could be any number of things. Be careful pay attention to your rotations in your arm when the pain starts and if it gets worst I suggest you see a doctor. I'm missing a major muscle in my left shoulder due to surgery and 3 years ago I dislocated my right shoulder and it has never been the same since.

Is it the outside of the shoulder or the inside? If inside it could be your rotator cuff; I've had lots of problems with mine from snowboarding and lifting. If it is that let me know and I can probably help out.

If not just remember to stretch and probably give it a break for a while (lot's of other muscles you can work till then). I am big on taking glucostimine for everyone that lifts!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Is it the outside of the shoulder or the inside? If inside it could be your rotator cuff; I've had lots of problems with mine from snowboarding and lifting. If it is that let me know and I can probably help out.

If not just remember to stretch and probably give it a break for a while (lot's of other muscles you can work till then). I am big on taking glucostimine for everyone that lifts!
    I mean it definitely doesn't feel like a muscle that was pulled or anything. Feels more like it has to do with the joint.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

I mean it definitely doesn't feel like a muscle that was pulled or anything. Feels more like it has to do with the joint.
    In this area http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00064
    Is it hard to lift your arm over your head without pian inside the shoulder?

Rotator cuff tears are very common in weight lifting. Hopefully it is not that, but the good news is I have avoided surgery for years with exercises/rehab for it.

I just tried my first nitric oxide supplement Mass Pump. Holy dog farts I got a killer workout. This stuff is amazing

I just tried my first nitric oxide supplement Mass Pump. Holy dog farts I got a killer workout. This stuff is amazing
    Your first! Newb

You never tired Jack3d? If so then you have tried a nitric oxide supplement; techically. Jack3d has arginine which is free form amino acid that aids the body in producing Nitric Oxide which stimulates blood flow in the body.

Therefore technicaly you could say it is an NO product.

Loved Mass Pump too; used it for about a year before switching to Jack3d and MR1. Might be time for me to switch back for a few. Mass pump paired with Halotren is highly recommended!

Smile Re: Workout Supplements - Pre and Post

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Your first! Newb

You never tired Jack3d? If so then you have tried a nitric oxide supplement; techically. Jack3d has arginine which is free form amino acid that aids the body in producing Nitric Oxide which stimulates blood flow in the body.

Therefore technicaly you could say it is an NO product.

Loved Mass Pump too; used it for about a year before switching to Jack3d and MR1. Might be time for me to switch back for a few. Mass pump paired with Halotren is highly recommended!
    Currently I am doing Halotren, Mass Pump, and Isopure

Currently I am doing Halotren, Mass Pump, and Isopure
    Nice, how are your gains so far? I beat great

Background: Powerlifted in highschool 2001-2005. Only supplement used was creatine mono and a healthy farm-raised diet compliments of my Mother. Back in the gym as of August after a too-long hiatus.

Now: First day using Muscle Pharm Shred Matrix + Jack3d.

Woke up and was not afforded the opportunity to eat something until nearly 11am. Took my first dose of shred matrix @ 11am with a 2 scoop protein shake. Could feel the affects by the time I was on my way to school ~1pm. Felt very similar to my Adderal script. High energy, twitchy, suppressed appetite. Very similar to amphetamine high. Had laser like focus in class 14:00 - 15:15. Arrived home ~ 15:45, took next set of supplements (shred matrix + 1 scoop jack3d). Total water consumption up to this point was ~40oz. Ate a slice of bread + 1 tbsp peanut butter when I had arrived home.

By the time I arrived at the gym, I could feel the effects of jack3d + shred matrix. Very focus, ready to expend energy. First workout I did was DB Stepups. I usually do this with 20lbs and am quite tired by the time I finish the 3rd set. First set went extremely smoothly. Each repetition was explosive, moreso than I had felt before. I didn't add any weight above my usual, being conservative with new supplements.

Continue through remaining workout (stiff leg deads, lying leg curls, leg extens, leg press, calf raise) doing 10-20lbs above my average on most. 135 on deads, 115 curls, 112 extensions, 360 + plate !! on leg press, and the usual 180 on calves. All workouts were 3 x 10. I could definitely tell that my body was expending more energy than usual, but it did NOT feel like it at all. I did 3x10 leg press @ 360 (45lbs x 8 ) when I usually do them at 270 (45lbs x 6). I had explosive energy out of my lower body during the whole workout, which isn't necessarily atypical, but much moreso than usual.

After concluding those sets, I began walking over to the cardio area to do 20 minutes of that. This is when it hit me. I was nearly instantly sick to my stomach, fighting back the urge to throw up while I told Jess I was ready to go and skip cardio. It got better as I drank my after-workout protein shake down, but didn't really clear up until about 1/2 way through dinner. I know this is what my body does after a hard workout in which I didn't eat enough during the day and/or drink enough water.

I'll attribute the negative effects to below average water intake + below average calorie intake. I hadn't really planned on returning to the gym after not sticking to my workout for a few weeks, but the shred matrix gave me focus, energy, and the drive to go anyway. Had I anticipated going to day, I would have forced myself to drink more water and eat a little bit more. Water intake as of right now is probably close to 90oz, but my body is still letting me know it is dehydrated with neon-yellow piss.

Cardio tomorrow for 45mins. Will be much more conscious of water + calorie intake tomorrow and will report back. Overall, very pleased that I chose to begin a light supplement program, despite the negative side effects I had.

TL;DR - took jack3d, didn't drink enough water or eat enough calories, felt like shit at end of workout, skipped cardio, felt better after dinner

Edit - Slept like shit last night. Took me an hour to get to sleep, and pretty much tossed and turned until I could take enough and got up a 6am. Definitely took the shred matrix 2nd dosage too late in the day.
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Wed Oct 12th, 2011 at 06:01 AM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Zach, my only suggestion is a better diet. Make sure you are eating right when you wake up. By the time you got to the gym, you should have had 3-4 meals in you already. I can only imagine what that stuff would do to an empty stomach. You are right about the water also, listen to your body.

If you start building again and want to try creatine, check out creatine hydrochloride. I think it works really well and you don't gain all the water weight like you do with the mono. You can also find good protein drinks that have a creatine complex mixed in.
    Casey D

I guess its just one of those mistakes you only make one time. My stomach is still a bit sour, but getting better the more I wake up.

The upside is I had a bit of BLAW reading to do before class anyways
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Wed Oct 12th, 2011 at 06:42 AM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    listen to your body.
    This. I know a lot of supplements help, but always be sure you know what your body is doing.

And to echo Casey, you should always eat within 30 min of waking up. It kick starts your metabolism for the day. My workouts vary depending on how I'm fueling my body. If I do an evening run, I can feel whether or not I had a donut in the morning. It actually makes my body function differently.

Glad you're getting back into it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Background: Powerlifted in highschool 2001-2005. Only supplement used was creatine mono and a healthy farm-raised diet compliments of my Mother. Back in the gym as of August after a too-long hiatus.

Now: First day using Muscle Pharm Shred Matrix + Jack3d.

Woke up and was not afforded the opportunity to eat something until nearly 11am. Took my first dose of shred matrix @ 11am with a 2 scoop protein shake. Could feel the affects by the time I was on my way to school ~1pm. Felt very similar to my Adderal script. High energy, twitchy, suppressed appetite. Very similar to amphetamine high. Had laser like focus in class 14:00 - 15:15. Arrived home ~ 15:45, took next set of supplements (shred matrix + 1 scoop jack3d). Total water consumption up to this point was ~40oz. Ate a slice of bread + 1 tbsp peanut butter when I had arrived home.

By the time I arrived at the gym, I could feel the effects of jack3d + shred matrix. Very focus, ready to expend energy. First workout I did was DB Stepups. I usually do this with 20lbs and am quite tired by the time I finish the 3rd set. First set went extremely smoothly. Each repetition was explosive, moreso than I had felt before. I didn't add any weight above my usual, being conservative with new supplements.

Continue through remaining workout (stiff leg deads, lying leg curls, leg extens, leg press, calf raise) doing 10-20lbs above my average on most. 135 on deads, 115 curls, 112 extensions, 360 + plate !! on leg press, and the usual 180 on calves. All workouts were 3 x 10. I could definitely tell that my body was expending more energy than usual, but it did NOT feel like it at all. I did 3x10 leg press @ 360 (45lbs x 8 ) when I usually do them at 270 (45lbs x 6). I had explosive energy out of my lower body during the whole workout, which isn't necessarily atypical, but much moreso than usual.

After concluding those sets, I began walking over to the cardio area to do 20 minutes of that. This is when it hit me. I was nearly instantly sick to my stomach, fighting back the urge to throw up while I told Jess I was ready to go and skip cardio. It got better as I drank my after-workout protein shake down, but didn't really clear up until about 1/2 way through dinner. I know this is what my body does after a hard workout in which I didn't eat enough during the day and/or drink enough water.

I'll attribute the negative effects to below average water intake + below average calorie intake. I hadn't really planned on returning to the gym after not sticking to my workout for a few weeks, but the shred matrix gave me focus, energy, and the drive to go anyway. Had I anticipated going to day, I would have forced myself to drink more water and eat a little bit more. Water intake as of right now is probably close to 90oz, but my body is still letting me know it is dehydrated with neon-yellow piss.

Cardio tomorrow for 45mins. Will be much more conscious of water + calorie intake tomorrow and will report back. Overall, very pleased that I chose to begin a light supplement program, despite the negative side effects I had.

TL;DR - took jack3d, didn't drink enough water or eat enough calories, felt like shit at end of workout, skipped cardio, felt better after dinner

Edit - Slept like shit last night. Took me an hour to get to sleep, and pretty much tossed and turned until I could take enough and got up a 6am. Definitely took the shred matrix 2nd dosage too late in the day.
    I have never taken a "fat burner", but I have heard many people say that they get nausea from it until they get use to it. You may want to try just taking the Shred Matrix till you get use to it, then try to stack it with Jack3d later after your body gets use to the fat burner. Fat burners usually contain caffeine and too much can upset a stomch like that; especially mixed with the Jack3D. You can also try to eat something like a protein shake before the gym and take the Shred Matrix with that so it calms it down a bit. Plus your body is getting use to the added exercise, so it is common to fee like you need to throw up. If the Jack3d makes me feel sick I usually just drink tons of water while working out and that seems to help neutralize it.

If the Shred Matrix contininues to make you feel this way (taking it without Jack3d) you may need to change to a different fat burner. My GF had this issue with one and switched to a different brand and it worked better for her.

I not necessarily that I disliked the "up" from the pill, as I've been on ADHD medication since a young age and am very used to the feeling, the only thing that bothered me was the nausea, which I think was mostly attributable to my lack of calorie and water intake for that day.

On a side note, I'm down nearly 20lbs now since I started this in August.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd