Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NPR = morons

Re: NPR = morons

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    The difference here is that the Irish are not killing each other because of religious ideas.
    Exclusivly, no. But to deny that it played a role would be kind of hard. It also had to do with government and land, but the Protestant/Catholic beliefs were included. Then again, I would have a hard time believeing that terrorists attacked the US 100% for religious reasons.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I used to think that way, but not all terrorist are from impoverished nations. Many of them are born or have lived much of their life outside of "Muslim" countries. Besides, there are plenty of poor people in the US that never turn to violence, so the attraction to Jihad cannot be based on money.
    It ultimately comes down to power and money for a handful. The poor masses are used as a tool to achieve those things. The instrument by which the poor are convinced to give/risk their lives to give power/money to the few? Religion. History is replete with examples.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Exclusivly, no. But to deny that it played a role would be kind of hard. It also had to do with government and land, but the Protestant/Catholic beliefs were included. Then again, I would have a hard time believeing that terrorists attacked the US 100% for religious reasons.
    The religious lines had a role to play in their politics, but they aren't killing because one likes infant baptism and the other doesn't, for example. It's a political war.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

What were Muslims doing in Jerusalem? ...and Turkey, Greece, Spain, Austria, etc? hmmmm
    Blowing shit up.......
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Blowing shit up.......

I'm sure it was peaceful, whatever it was. I'm sure they were just migrant workers.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    It ultimately comes down to power and money for a handful. The poor masses are used as a tool to achieve those things. The instrument by which the poor are convinced to give/risk their lives to give power/money to the few? Religion. History is replete with examples.

Dirk
    Exactly. But, why is this particular religion so filled with people eager to be suicide bombers? To kill innicents in a day and age where we should know it's wrong. What is it in particular that breeds this type of fanaticism? The very origins of all the religions of the area are shockingly similar, but what made one branch turn the way it did? If it was Christians that were preominantly suicide bombers, then I'd be ragging on them for the same reason. I'm just at a loss to explain why the numbers are so stacked in that area.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Dirk
    That's interesting since Christianity teaches extensively on giving to the poor. Perhaps Islam is different.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Yes, it is. The vast majority of what are considered terrorist acts are perpatrated by muslims.
    And this is why the tread will continue until an admin locks it. There are a lot of terrorist acts that go on in the world and the US doesn't hear about most of them (gotta love filtered news). Many of these different attacks in Asia and South America have nothing to do with Muslims. The ones we hear about do. Because that perpetuates fear (back to a firm Catholic belief)Check out more world news.

The religious lines had a role to play in their politics, but they aren't killing because one likes infant baptism and the other doesn't, for example. It's a political war.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't it start out as the belief/religion behind the government? And then evoled much more into politics after? The point I was trying to make is that terrorist attacks on the US were not completely religious based. It was only one of their motivators.

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't it start out as the belief/religion behind the government? And then evoled much more into politics after? The point I was trying to make is that terrorist attacks on the US were not completely religious based. It was only one of their motivators.
    Where they attacking on behalf of Saudi Arabia? Iran? Afghanistan? Oil? Or perhaps they have something against tall buildings or those that aren't square shaped?
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Hold on. So it's ok to generalize and say the muslim religion breeds more terrorism than another but not ok to generalize and say that poverty CAN too?

There is no fixed certain rules or the solutions would be easy to see.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Are you implying that we deserved it? That we "had it coming" so to speak?
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Hold on. So it's ok to generalize and say the muslim religion breeds more terrorism than another but not ok to generalize and say that poverty CAN too?

There is no fixed certain rules or the solutions would be easy to see.
    Unfortunately, there isn't even a correlation to poverty, let alone causation.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

I'm bored already. Back to work. Good luck solving this one gents.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Where they attacking on behalf of Saudi Arabia? Iran? Afghanistan? Oil? Or perhaps they have something against tall buildings or those that aren't square shaped?
    No, none of those reasons. I would say display of power, domination, being recognized/heard as a group/leader, proving that they are a global power to be contended with, are aspects that could play a role in prompting attacks.

Are you implying that we deserved it? That we "had it coming" so to speak?
    Not sure how you got that out of my statement, but no.

Maybe no correlation to the ones who flew the plane. But the suicide and roadside bomber in asscrackistan isn't the shopkeeper with ample money to feed his kids.

Unfortunately, there isn't even a correlation to poverty, let alone causation.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Exactly. But, why is this particular religion so filled with people eager to be suicide bombers? To kill innicents in a day and age where we should know it's wrong. What is it in particular that breeds this type of fanaticism? The very origins of all the religions of the area are shockingly similar, but what made one branch turn the way it did? If it was Christians that were preominantly suicide bombers, then I'd be ragging on them for the same reason. I'm just at a loss to explain why the numbers are so stacked in that area.
    It' not the religion per se driving it, but the desire of a few for power and/or wealth. And in a (mostly) religiously homogeneous society, it is easier for those few to whip up massive numbers of people to support a given idea and demonize the small numbers of those who are against it. The same approach can work in an ethnically homogeneous society. (By homogeneous, I mean that a large majority of the population slots into one category, be it religion, ethnicity, whatever is relevant to the idea being debated.) Nazi Germany was an example of the ethnic approach.

The Founding Fathers recognized this and it was a driver for the idea of separation of church and state. Government wields tremendous power and by removing the explicit use of religion for making governing decisions, you have a better chance of avoiding the use of that power to enforce religious concepts. That is freedom at its most fundamental level.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

That's interesting since Christianity teaches extensively on giving to the poor. Perhaps Islam is different.
    It is no different in Islam. But, again, it is not the religion itself that is the source of the strife we are talking about, but a subset of the population who use the religion to achieve their power/money ambitions.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

When was the last time a bunch of Catholics flew jets into a building?
    Timothy McVeigh. Oh, wait, that was a truck.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

It' not the religion per se driving it, but the desire of a few for power and/or wealth. And in a (mostly) religiously homogeneous society, it is easier for those few to whip up massive numbers of people to support a given idea and demonize the small numbers of those who are against it. The same approach can work in an ethnically homogeneous society. (By homogeneous, I mean that a large majority of the population slots into one category, be it religion, ethnicity, whatever is relevant to the idea being debated.) Nazi Germany was an example of the ethnic approach.

The Founding Fathers recognized this and it was a driver for the idea of separation of church and state. Government wields tremendous power and by removing the explicit use of religion for making governing decisions, you have a better chance of avoiding the use of that power to enforce religious concepts. That is freedom at its most fundamental level.

Dirk
    Don't you dare bring reason to this, or I am going to have to add middle aged white VFR riders to my group of boogie men. Along with Muslims and Catholics. And Jews. And Blacks. And Carnies.

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    Timothy McVeigh. Oh, wait, that was a truck.
    Ok, that was ONE......any others you can name beside him and the nutjob who flew his plane into the IRS building for other than religious reasons? One, does not a trend make.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Ok, that was ONE......any others you can name beside him and the nutjob who flew his plane into the IRS building for other than religious reasons? One, does not a trend make.
    I won't limit myself to just this country, and for the most part I will just name groups, not individuals...

Sons of Freedom
    National Liberation Front of Tripura
    Padraic Pearse
    Brian OHiggins
    Lord's Resistance Army
    Army of God
    Lambs of Christ
    Concerned Christians
    Hutaree
    Oh, and the Ku Klux Klan

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    I won't limit myself to just this country, and for the most part I will just name groups, not individuals...

Sons of Freedom
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Freedom_(band) (Them Kanadian rock musicians LOOOOVE to fly planes into buildings, eh?)

National Liberation Front of Tripura
    Padraic Pearse
    Brian OHiggins
    Lord's Resistance Army
    Army of God
    Lambs of Christ
    Concerned Christians
    Hutaree
    Oh, and the Ku Klux Klan
    Have the combined acts of ALL these groups equalled just the 9/11 attacks in terms of death count and billions of dollars in damage? If so, then obviously we have Christians as our worst enemy.
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Thu Oct 21st, 2010 at 03:33 PM.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

Rush was talking about this today, glad to see he is not the only one that is talking.
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite View Post
    Rush was talking about this today, glad to see he is not the only one that is talking.
    Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart were talking about NPR????

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian