Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NPR = morons

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

Re: NPR = morons

Yup so was Rush on his radio program. (about the NPR ordeal)
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

good for him. he's usually well informed on issues and provides a thought provoking view point. I don't usually end up agreeing with him but he challenges my beliefs and I find him to be honest and lives in reality rather than an ideologue.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    good for him. he's usually well informed on issues and provides a thought provoking view point. I don't usually end up agreeing with him but he challenges my beliefs and I find him to be honest and lives in reality rather than an ideologue.
    Yeah, I respect the guy as well. Good for him. He probably got a raise! Like I said, the muslims seem to be intolerant of any criticsm. Remember that book writer that had all the death threats? Or the people that were threatened for drawing mohammed? Or even Southpark, and especially the one guy from Southpark who was muslim and ok with poking fun at everything else, but when it came to making fun of islam, he quit? Yep, that's tolerance.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

A simple search brought this up...

http://www.alrisala.org/Articles/mailing_list/charity.html

"Charity, preached by every religion of the world, is a way of bringing justice to society. And justice is the essence of religion. Islam has therefore made charity, that is, zakat, obligatory and binding upon all those who embrace the faith; it has been made into an institution in order to give it permanence and regularity.

All human beings, according to Islam, have been created by one and the same God, and for this reason they belong to one great brotherhood. All being descendants of the same progenitor, Adam and Eve, they should naturally be each other’s well-wishers. They must willingly come to one another’s assistance, like members of the same large family. Islam has, therefore, laid the greatest of emphasis on the support of destitute and disabled members of society. It is a sacred duty of the wealthy to give part of their possessions to fulfill the needs of the deprived sections of the community."

In my opinion, it's so freakin easy to condemn that which we are ignorant of. Do a little more digging and you get the truth and you begin to understand.

I also searched to find out who the writer of this page was...Maulana Wahiduddin Khan...is a noted Islamic scholar. He has received, among others, the Demiurgus Peace International Award, under the patronage of the former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev; the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian honour; and the National Citizen’s Award, presented by Mother Teresa. He has translated the Quran in simple and contemporary English and currently give lectures on ETV Urdu, Bridges TV, ITV, ARY Digital, QTV, Aaj TV, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maulana_Wahiduddin_Khan

Terrorism is just that...terrorism. When it comes to McVeigh and blowing up the Federal Center in OK, it was a terrorist act. He wanted to make a statement and make people listen to his message. The same is true for all other terrorists. The thing is, when you talk to people from the Arab countries, the things they hate about "the West" is the loose ways in which we live. They do not want Western ways to influence how they live. They've lived that way for many more years than we have lived our ways and they do not like the changes that are occurring in their own countries. This is radicalism at its worst. And they will find any reason, any excuse to be heard and to entice and convert others into their way of thinking.

When I look at this whole thread and generalize as everyone else has been generalizing, then I can equate some of what is being said here as the same as what terrorists do to convert others. I hate generalizations, because I spend so much of my time learning about all the intricacies of things and people that interest me.

Ok, getting off my grumpy soapbox...go ahead and blast me for being a freakin bleeding heart namby pamby liberal (moron)...sigh...
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    You're right, McVeigh is a terrorist as much as the IRA are terrorists as much as the 9/11 guys are terrorists. It's the same ideal of violence to achieve an end that drives them, they differ in the particulars. Religion did not drive McVeigh though. However, as I mentioned, why are there so many more muslim terrorists, and by such a vast margin? Why does that particular religion spawn so many compared to all the others. And, can you find a single muslim charity that caters to the poor Christian world, as is the case in many instances the other way around?

As far as the truth, well, as you said, dig and find how barbaric sharia law is. If they want to be "left alone" as opposed to "conquer", why are they trying to get sharia law passed in Britain, and even here? Talk to women from those countries (as I have) to see how they're treated. Talk to an Egeyptian born there and raised Christian (as I have) who's family had to flee the country because of their beliefs. Look at the honor killings, and female circumcision. Find a single recent instance where a Christian has cut off an innocent person's head on video. You can't ignore this.
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Thu Oct 21st, 2010 at 05:43 PM.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

No you cannot ignore, but you cannot also generalize. All of that is still a small number as compared to the many millions who do not believe in radical Islam. And that is what it is...radicalism.

Christianity had its own radicals in the past and even now. Other religions have theirs as well. My thought? It is a group of people's way of controlling that which they feel out of control with.

Here's a very simple way to explain what I think drives these terrorists (radicals)...

People/groups/communities, etc. live their lives based on what they have and that is the way it has been for thousands of years in the mid-eastern countries. Introduce other ideas, other cultures, other ways to live into these countries and blast it in their faces over and over again and you will catalyze nations.

Do I blame the western culture...no way in hell. But, these countries and the radicals that live in them have been living their way of life for a very long time...longer than we have been living ours. Some have been able to go with the flow and adapt ideas to meet their own needs, some have hated change...so much so that they have radicalized their beliefs. They want to remain as they have been for thousands of years. They want to control their own destinies, but so much is changing around them so quickly, that they refuse to adapt and they will fight to maintain their way of living.

It's a human thing to not want to change when you are comfortable doing as you have done for your whole life. Ever read "Who moved my cheese?" I had to read that in my previous job because there was so much change going on in our building and ways of doing things were changing so quickly that we had some (a very few people out of the whole group) who were completely adamant about not changing the way things were going...they were fine as they were, why change?

I know...this is so very simplistic...but that's how I see it. I've known Muslims...lived with one for 3 years...so I know what a few of them think and what their outlook is of the world.

Here's another way to think of it...how long have we known of terrorism? Was it around in the early 1900s? When traveling was not as easy as it is now and when no one had any idea what went on in other parts of the world, because there was no television? Outside cultures have bombarded these countries for the past 100'ish years with their ideas (oil is good) and ways, and in the grand scheme of things in all the time they've lived like they have, now all of a sudden there are some who want to live and act differently...who want to modernize and allow women to work and be considered as equal. It's a shock to the steadfast traditionalist.

When I look at things from a different standpoint, then maybe some sort of understanding can be derived and generalizations can dissipate. But, that's just me.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    No you cannot ignore, but you cannot also generalize. All of that is still a small number as compared to the many millions who do not believe in radical Islam. And that is what it is...radicalism.

Christianity had its own radicals in the past and even now. Other religions have theirs as well. My thought? It is a group of people's way of controlling that which they feel out of control with.

Here's a very simple way to explain what I think drives these terrorists (radicals)...

People/groups/communities, etc. live their lives based on what they have and that is the way it has been for thousands of years in the mid-eastern countries. Introduce other ideas, other cultures, other ways to live into these countries and blast it in their faces over and over again and you will catalyze nations.

Do I blame the western culture...no way in hell. But, these countries and the radicals that live in them have been living their way of life for a very long time...longer than we have been living ours. Some have been able to go with the flow and adapt ideas to meet their own needs, some have hated change...so much so that they have radicalized their beliefs. They want to remain as they have been for thousands of years. They want to control their own destinies, but so much is changing around them so quickly, that they refuse to adapt and they will fight to maintain their way of living.

It's a human thing to not want to change when you are comfortable doing as you have done for your whole life. Ever read "Who moved my cheese?" I had to read that in my previous job because there was so much change going on in our building and ways of doing things were changing so quickly that we had some (a very few people out of the whole group) who were completely adamant about not changing the way things were going...they were fine as they were, why change?

I know...this is so very simplistic...but that's how I see it. I've known Muslims...lived with one for 3 years...so I know what a few of them think and what their outlook is of the world.

Here's another way to think of it...how long have we known of terrorism? Was it around in the early 1900s? When traveling was not as easy as it is now and when no one had any idea what went on in other parts of the world, because there was no television? Outside cultures have bombarded these countries for the past 100'ish years with their ideas (oil is good) and ways, and in the grand scheme of things in all the time they've lived like they have, now all of a sudden there are some who want to live and act differently...who want to modernize and allow women to work and be considered as equal. It's a shock to the steadfast traditionalist.

When I look at things from a different standpoint, then maybe some sort of understanding can be derived and generalizations can dissipate. But, that's just me.
    Why can't you generalize? If you own 10 Fords, and 9 of them are pieces of shit, will you steer clear of Fords? If you buy M/C tires and 9 times out of 10, the Chen Shing tires suck, wouldn't you avoid them? Yes, I know all of the bazillion-six muslims are not terrorists, but, the fact is still that they are by FAR the majority of terrorists. Here's a couple pics to illustrate the point. (Warning-graphic).

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

My wife and I have had this conversion ourselves once or twice. Sh's just finished her Masters in Political Science & International Relations, with a concentration in Middle Eastern studies, and she always brings up good points.

#1 Why does everybody hate Iran? Sure, they don't like America, but look it up, they have never publically attacked or condoned attacks against America, and only the "Revolutionary Guard" is considered a Terrorist Organization, but can you find ONE example of when they've committed a terrorist act against the United States?

The United States has decided to designate Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, the country's 125,000-strong elite military branch, as a "specially designated global terrorist," according to U.S. officials, a move that allows Washington to target the group's business operations and finances.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081401662.html

(So, we can designate a Army a terrorist organization, but not the Government paying for it? Sounds fishy to me...)

#2 Only 6% of Terrorists around the world are actually Muslim.

Okay, let’s get one thing straight: not all terrorists are Muslim. Yes, I said it and it’s completely true. Why people continue to generalize all terrorists as being Muslim is beyond me- perhaps it has to do with their lack of knowledge on the topic and laziness to find out the legitimacy of the claim. It is also possible that since people are so quick to believe what they are told, they are able to easily adopt someone else’s views as their own. I wouldn’t doubt it- I mean; we all know hardly anyone can think for themselves these days anyway.
    So, that being said, let’s think for ourselves and do some research: exactly what percent of Muslims are terrorists? Well, according to FBI files, which can be accessed through fbi.gov, only 6 percent of terrorists are Muslim. The remaining percentage of terrorist attacks on U.S. territory includes: Latinos at 42 percent, extreme Left Wing groups at 24 percent, Jewish extremists at 7 percent, Communists at 5 percent, and other terrorist organizations at 16 percent.
    But the point here is, Muslims are being targeted unfairly for terrorism when Islamic extremists carried out only 6 percent of the attacks. According to SFGate.com, “if only 10 percent of Muslim Americans were sympathetic toward Islamic extremism, they would constitute a force greater in number than the Coalition forces used to invade Iraq. I submit that if a force that large was in the United States, New York would look a lot more like Baghdad. It doesn’t, because the number of Islamic extremists is actually only a tiny percentage of the Muslim-American population.”
    http://www.dailytitan.com/2010/09/13...ts-are-muslim/

#3. The media is biased against Muslim terrorists. See Fox News:
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/10/f...ists-keep-job/

#4. A list of American Terrorists who have killed Americans:
    Timothy McVeigh
    Eric Rudolph
    Irv Rubin
    Ted Kaczynski
    Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold
    Bruce Edward Ivans
    James Von Brunn
    "Look at ‘em, all them Moooslims what killed ‘mericuns!"
    http://www.oliverwillis.com/2010/10/...ts-are-muslim/

Anyway, I could go on and on, and don't get me wrong, I agree that the Muslism terrorists tend to be some of the worse, especially in terms of violence and the civilian, woman and child death toll, but they are CLEARLY not the only modern terrorist organization, and by FAR not the largest.

Biggest point being: 6% of all Terrorists are Muslim, which means that it's a far cry to claim that all Muslims are terrorists. If the numbers above are correct, 25% of 6 Billion would mean that there are almost 1.5 Billion Muslim terrorists. Even if you assumed that 6% Muslims were terrorists, you'd still have 900,000 Muslim Terrorists.

If you believe that, then the terrorists have already won...

-Sarge

*edit*
    Best estimate I could find is that there are approx. 500,000 (and this is a gross exaggerration) terrorists worldwide. That would mean that there are approx. 30,000 Muslim terrorists worldwide, which really isn't that big of a number. Compare that to the estimated number of Muslims world wide, and something like .0002% of all Muslims are Terrorists. Keep in mind I used 500,000 as an example, when some people only figure as few as 50,000 terrorists exist worldwide, which would drop the percentage of Muslims who are Terrorists to .000002%.

For the intentions of this column, I am going to assume that the sum total of all (loosely defined) terrorists worldwide, stands at 500,000. This is not a real number, and the actual figure probably hovers around 50,000, although the higher figure represents far less than 1 per cent of world population, while the lower one is one tenth of 1 per cent. It seems to me that the rest of us (99 to 99.9 per cent) should not be too afraid of gangsters who threaten us.
    http://www.bt.com.bn/classification/...ists_are_there
    Last edited by Sarge; Fri Oct 22nd, 2010 at 01:07 AM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Why can't you generalize? If you own 10 Fords, and 9 of them are pieces of shit, will you steer clear of Fords? If you buy M/C tires and 9 times out of 10, the Chen Shing tires suck, wouldn't you avoid them? Yes, I know all of the bazillion-six muslims are not terrorists, but, the fact is still that they are by FAR the majority of terrorists. Here's a couple pics to illustrate the point. (Warning-graphic).
    That's exactly what they do as well...shock us into believing they can win us over with fear. You just tried to shock me with your graphic photo posting. What are you trying to prove here? That terrorists are evil? Yes, they are. That all Muslims are terrorists? Wrong. And Sarge just posted some good numbers to prove that point.

I think what should be done when thinking about terrorists is to think about what they do...terrorism...and the tools they use to put fear into humanity. They use all kinds of things...religion is a big one. Ask any Muslim what they think of terrorists who hide behind Islam to wage their "war" and you will get a completely different viewpoint.

I think the last paragraph on this terrorism research site says it all...

"There are three perspectives of terrorism: the terrorist’s, the victim’s, and the general public’s. The phrase “one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter” is a view terrorists themselves would accept. Terrorists do not see themselves as evil. They believe they are legitimate combatants, fighting for what they believe in, by whatever means possible. A victim of a terrorist act sees the terrorist as a criminal with no regard for human life. The general public’s view is the most unstable. The terrorists take great pains to foster a “Robin Hood” image in hope of swaying the general public’s point of view toward their cause. This sympathetic view of terrorism has become an integral part of their psychological warfare and needs to be countered vigorously."

Most people use words to gain some sort of psychological advantage in winning people over. You see it in political campaigns a lot. I hate those campaigns like nothing else. I do not like sound bites, I want to know the details. It's the same with terrorists, but they use violence and criminal activity to do the same thing...create some sort of psychological control over a group of people to further their cause.

Looks like NPR really opened up a world of shit for itself. I just saw the the video in question where Juan was speaking of a personal feeling of nervousness when people in full Muslim garb board a plane. He didn't say anything about all Muslims being terrorists. It was really a non-issue and I believe echoed a fear many people feel due to events of recent years.

Even supporters from the left are blasting NPR and now there is renewed talk of legislation to remove public funding for NPR.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

Looks like NPR really opened up a world of shit for itself.
    Exactly. +1
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....

[QUOTE=Sarge;525973]

#2 Only 6% of Terrorists around the world are actually Muslim.

http://www.dailytitan.com/2010/09/13...ts-are-muslim/

Biggest point being: 6% of all Terrorists are Muslim, which means that it's a far cry to claim that all Muslims are terrorists.

-Sarge [\QUOTE]

/end thread.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    ......it's a far cry to claim that all Muslims are terrorists.
    BUT NO ONE HAS SAID THAT!!!!
    Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Fri Oct 22nd, 2010 at 08:44 AM.

1999 DR650SE

BUT NO ONE HAS SAID THAT!!!!
    Nevermind.......
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Don't mean to be an ass. Just frustrated because everyone involved in the debate, here and on every media coverage of the topic, has gone out of their way to say that "all Muslims are NOT terrorists."

The debate is about why does it feel like all terrorists today are Muslim? And what is the correct way to deal with or treat the situation? How do you bring peace and make people feel safe again.

Fear of a culture is what brought the prison camps of the Japanese in WWII. No one wants to see that again. But the truth of the matter is that there are Muslim extremists who have declared war on western culture, so what next? It's not as easy as saying, "all Muslims are not terrorists so don't be scared."

1999 DR650SE

tribes + memes + cognitive dissonance = this discussion
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

How's this for a simplified comparision;

All sharks are not killers. Statistically, there are very few shark attacks when you look at the number of sharks and people who swim in the ocean. You can see video of people swimming with sharks who are not attacked or injured.

If I see a shark swimming in the water, statistics be damned, I'm getting the fuck out.

1999 DR650SE

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

The debate is about why does it feel like all terrorists today are Muslim?
    One thing you learn about when you undertake statistical studies is to be aware of potential selection effects when you extend the conclusion about a sample to the population that supplies that sample. When we make comments about populations (e.g., Muslims, terrorists, motorcyclists, cagers, etc), we are implicitly applying our own sampling to that population. None of us has or ever will meet all Mustlims/terrrorists/motocyclists/cagers so we are naturally drawing conclusions from our own sampling.

Now, it is perfectly legitimate to make conclusions about a population from a properly drawn sample. Randomness of selection is a key part of doing so, however. If your sample is not random, you can get skewed statistics. This is what is called a selection effect. Your process of selecting the sample has an effect on the statistics and often skews the results. For example, if you stand outside a church and ask about opinions on abortion as people come out, you will very likely get different statistics than you will by standing outside a Planned Parenthood facility. In either case, if you then drew conclusions about the general population from your statistical results, you would be doing so improperly.

So, when you ask "why does it feel like all terrorists today are Muslim?", you're thinking about statistics of a population, and you need to think about selection effects. The quoted FBI statistics, if correct (I haven't looked at them yet. I am always a bit hesitant to believe statements that don't give me a link to the source of the claim.), imply that only 6% of terrorists attacking US territory are Muslim. So why does it feel like that number is much larger? Selection effects. Certain groups (e.g. politicians, news media) may have a vested interest in exacerbating those selection effects. Your job as a conscientious citizen and independent thinker is to recognize and account for those selection effects. Gather information from a variety of sources. Be leery of information providers who claim to be "independent", "unbiased" or "impartial." Treat their information just like anyone else. Gather and consider the whole of the information, and then draw your conclusions.

If the FBI numbers are right, then there is a serious disconnect between the facts and the way you feel. Why? The FBI numbers appear to be based on attacks against "US territory." Are the numbers different for attacks on "territories of the US and allies?" How are the numbers different if you normalize the numbers by the populations of those groups in US territory? Interesting things to think about that might make for a more productive discussion than arguing about obviously false absolute statements and whether people are bigots.

Dirk
    Last edited by dirkterrell; Fri Oct 22nd, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

The debate is about why does it feel like all terrorists today are Muslim? And what is the correct way to deal with or treat the situation? How do you bring peace and make people feel safe again.
    It is, to go along the same lines as Dirk, due to a bias in the observations. If you lived in Sri Lanka and were a Muslim, you would be the target of the Tamil Tigers which is the local terrorist organization. The Tigers are not Muslim, hence not all terrorists today are Muslim. Right now there are some extremist Muslims who are targeting this country. The news companies, whos main goal is to sell advertising time, make a big deal of this at all times so that you watch. Because of this bias, you think all terrorists are Muslim.

How about that drug cartel in Mexico that beheaded that american out on his boat? I would call that terrorism. And those folks were not Muslim.

As for the rest of your question - realizing the bias helps to deal with the situation. I am not sure how to bring peace. I don't know that people have ever truly been safe.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

My God Dirk, I'm sure glad you poke your nose in and contribute to these posts.

BTW - when are we going to get the V4's together for a ride?

Anyway, back to the debate. I agree the news media in our age has realized that by feeding fear they get more viewers and more dollars. People seek out information about what scares them today, whether it's the economy, the war, or the (turned out to be nothing) swine flu.

To Dirk's point about debating who's a bigot or not; that was really what I was trying to get at with the shark analogy. How many of the same people who call those fearful of Muslims bigots, would get out of the water when they saw a shark fin? Does being fearful make you a bigot? Because Jacques Cousteau understands sharks better and is willing to swim with them and I'm scared shitless, am I bad person?

Because one person may understand Muslims better than I and is not afraid to fly when they see a turban sitting next to them, does that make me a bigot?

Animals have survived for years by being skeptical of what they don't know or understand. If you want to change a perception, maybe it's better to try and understand where the fear comes from rather than just discount someone as a bigot.

I think sharks should get together and have a PR campaign to get out the facts about how many attacks there really are. I bet most sharks would really enjoy swimming with us and their feelings are hurt by our irrational fear of them. I want to see a church for sharks off the beach of L.A.

1999 DR650SE

Excellent points to Sarge, Dirk, and Tinker.

But, I'm unable to find this "6%" statistic quote by an unknown "writer" who's only even seemed to contribute to the quoted source a few times anyway. That, to me, does not a valid source make. Not even close

So, until I find a verified source on that 6%, I can say that:
    Olympic massecre = muslim
    Beirut = muslim
    attack on the USS Cole = muslim
    Shoe bomber = muslim
    9/11 = muslim
    Times Square bomber = muslim
    beheading videos = muslim
    London train bombing = muslim
    daily IED bombs in iraq = muslim
    daily IED suicide bombings in Israel = muslim

So, again, I'll say of course they're not all like that, by why then is the overwhelming perception (nod to Dirk et. al.) that it's a muslim issue?

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

My God Dirk, I'm sure glad you poke your nose in and contribute to these posts.

BTW - when are we going to get the V4's together for a ride?
    I've been on a crazy schedule this summer but things have finally settled down. I'll try to get a ride together sometime soon.

To Dirk's point about debating who's a bigot or not; that was really what I was trying to get at with the shark analogy. How many of the same people who call those fearful of Muslims bigots, would get out of the water when they saw a shark fin? Does being fearful make you a bigot?
    It depends on the reason for the fear. That's my point. The fear may or may not be justified. Unlike the shark analogy, actions involving people can have consequences for the other party. The shark suffers no real effect by your leaving the water, except maybe an easy meal but that probably won't bother it for too long. In the case of acting on fears involving people, they can have negative effects. Implementation difficulties aside, we might act on our fear of Muslim terrorists by forcing all Muslims to go through stricter security. If the occurrence of terrorists among Muslims is tiny, then we are probably breeding discontent in an otherwise peaceful population. The power-hunting types I referred to previously would then use this ("They treat us all like criminals!") to inflame that discontent. If the occurrence rate of terrorists in 90%, then we are probably wise to enforce the extra security. So, we need to understand the situation before we act on fears. Politicians (left and right) and ne'er do wells love to seize on fears and direct you away from clear thinking.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    So, again, I'll say of course they're not all like that, by why then is the overwhelming perception (nod to Dirk et. al.) that it's a muslim issue?
    Well, here is a list of domestic terrorism incidents from 1980 to 2005 , along with the perpetrators from the FBI. (Source). I'll see if I can write a script to tally things up and look at the numbers, but this isn't overwhelmingly Muslim. (ok, looks like it didn't format too well. Check the end of the source document above for the table.) ELF = Earth Liberation Front.

Chronological Summary of Terrorist Incidents in the United States 1980-2005
    Date Location Incident Type
    Perpetrator Killed Injured
    1/7/1980 San Juan, PR Pipe Bombing Anti-Communist Alliance
    1/13/1980 New York, NY Bombing Omega 7 4
    1/13/1980 Miami, FL Bombing Omega 7
    1/19/1980 San Juan, PR Bombing Omega 7
    3/12/1980 Hato Rey, PR Armed Assault Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros
    3/15/1980 Chicago, IL Hostile Takeovers (2) Armed Forces of National Liberation
    3/17/1980 New York, NY Bombing Croatian Freedom Fighters 3
    3/25/1980 New York, NY Attempted Bombing Omega 7
    4/19/1980 Chattanooga, TN Shooting Justice Knights of the Ku Klux Klan 4
    4/30/1980 New York, NY Assault Revolutionary Communist Party
    6/3/1980 Washington, DC Bombing Croatian Freedom Fighters
    6/3/1980 New York, NY Bombing Croatian Freedom Fighters
    7/14/1980 Dorato, PR Multiple Bombings (2) Organization of Volunteers for the
    San Juan, PR Puerto Rico Revolution
    7/14/1980 Ponce, PR Multiple Arsons (2) Organization of Volunteers for the
    Mayaguez, PR Puerto Rico Revolution
    7/22/1980 Hato Rey, PR Multiple Bombings (4) Revolutionary Commandos of the People,
    Santurce, PR Ready and at War
    Rio Piedras, PR
    8/20/1980 Berkeley, CA Pipe Bombing Iranian Free Army 2
    9/11/1980 New York, NY Shooting Omega 7 1
    10/7/1980 New York, NY Attempted Bombing International Committee Against Nazism
    10/12/1980 New York, NY Bombing Justice Commandos of the Armenian Genocide 4
    10/12/1980 Hollywood, CA Bombing Justice Commandos of the Armenian Genocide 1
    10/14/1980 Fort Collins, CO Shooting Libyan Revolutionary Committee 1
    12/21/1980 New York, NY Pipe Bombing Armed Forces of Popular Resistance
    12/30/1980 Hialeah, FL Attempted Bombing Omega 7
    1/8/1981 Santurce, PR Multiple IncendiaryBombings (3) People’s Revolutionary Commandos
    Ponce, PR
    Rio Piedras, PR
    1/12/1981 San Juan, PR Bombing Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros
    1/23/1981 New York City, NY Bombing Croatian Freedom Fighters
    1/26/1981 San Francisco, CA Bombing Jewish Defense League/American Revenge
    Committee
    2/2/1981 Los Angeles, CA Attempted Bombing 3-Oct
    2/9/1981 Eugene, OR Assault Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade
    2/22/1981 Hollywood, CA Bombing Armenian Secret Army for the Liberation
    of Armenia
    3/15/1981 San Juan, PR Attempted Bombing Armed Forces of Popular Resistance
    4/21/1981 Santurce, PR Robbery Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros
    4/27/1981 Washington, DC Incendiary Bombing Iranian Patriotic Army
    5/16-18/81 New York City, NY Multiple Bombings (5) Puerto Rican Armed Resistance 1
    6/25/1981 Torrance, CA Incendiary Bombing Jewish Defenders
    6/26/1981 Los Angeles, CA Bombing June 9 Organization
    7/30/1981 New York City, NY Hostile Takeover Libyan Students
    8/7/1981 Washington, DC Hostile Takeover People’s Mujahedin Organization of Iran 3
    8/20/1981 Washington, DC Arson Black Brigade
    8/20/1981 Los Angeles, CA Bombing June 9 Organization
    8/27/1981 Carolina, PR Bombing Grupo Estrella
    8/31/1981 New York City, NY Hostile Takeover Jewish Defense League
    9/3-4/81 New York City, NY Multiple Bombings (2) Jewish Defense League
    9/9/1981 Washington, DC Assault Concerned Sierra Leone Nationals
    9/11/1981 Miami, FL Multiple Bombings (2) Omega 7
    9/12/1981 New York City, NY Bombing Omega 7
    9/22/1981 Schenectady, NY Bombing Communist Workers Party
    9/24/1981 Miami, FL Attempted Bombing Omega 7
    10/1/1981 Hollywood, CA Bombing Armenian Secret Army for the Liberation of Armenia

10/25/1981 New York City, NY Incendiary Bombing Jewish Defense League
    11/11/1981 Santurce, PR Bombing Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros
    11/14/1981 Glen Cove, NY Shooting Unaffiliated Extremists
    11/20/1981 Los Angeles, CA Bombing Justice Commandos of the Armenian Genocide
    11/27/1981 Fort Buchanan, PR Shooting National Liberation Movement 1
    11/27/1981 Santurce, PR Multiple Bombings (2) Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros
    Condado, PR
    12/24/1981 New York City, NY Attempted Pipe Jewish Defense League
    Bombing
    1/28/1982 Los Angeles, CA Shooting Justice Commandos of the Armenian 1
    Genocide
    2/19/1982 Miami, FL Multiple Bombings (2) Omega 7
    2/19/1982 Washington, DC Bombing Jewish Defense League
    2/21/1982 Rio Piedras, PR Pipe Bombing Antonia Martinez Student Commandos
    2/28/1982 New York City, NY Multiple Bombings (4) Armed Forces of National Liberation
    3/22/1982 Cambridge, MA Bombing Justice Commandos of the Armenian
    Genocide
    4/5/1982 Brooklyn, NY Arson Jewish Defense League 1 7
    4/28/1982 New York City, NY Multiple Bombings (2) Jewish Defense League
    4/29/1982 San Juan, PR Multiple Bombings (2) Provisional Coordinating Committee of the
    Bayamon, PR Labor Self-Defense Group
    4/29/1982 San Juan, PR Shooting Provisional Coordinating Committee of the
    Labor Self-Defense Group
    5/4/1982 Somerville, MA Shooting Justice Commandos of the Armenian 1
    Genocide
    5/16/1982 San Juan, PR Shooting Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros/ 1 3
    Group for the Liberation of Vieques
    5/17/1982 Union City, NJ Incendiary Bombing Omega 7
    5/19/1982 Villa Sin Miedo, PR Shooting Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros 1 12
    5/20/1982 San Juan, PR Attempted Bombing Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros
    5/25/1982 San German, PR Kidnapping Grupo Estrella 1
    5/30/1982 Van Nuys, CA Attempted Bombing Armenian Secret Army for the Liberation of
    Armenia
    6/10/1982 Carolina, PR Multiple Bombings (3) Armed Forces of Popular Resistance
    7/4/1982 New York City, NY Multiple Pipe Croatian Freedom Fighters
    Astoria, NY Bombings (2)
    7/5/1982 New York City, NY Multiple Pipe Jewish Defense League
    Bombings (2)
    8/20/1982 Old San Juan, PR Bombing Armed Forces of National Liberation
    9/1/1982 Naranjito, PR Attempted Bombing Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros
    9/2/1982 Miami, FL Bombing Omega 7
    9/8/1982 Chicago, IL Bombing Omega 7
    9/20/1982 New York City, NY Bombing Armed Forces of National Liberation
    9/25/1982 Miami, FL Attempted Bombing Omega 7
    10/15/1982 Washington, DC Hostile Takeover Islamic Extremists
    10/22/1982 Philadelphia, PA Attempted Bombing Justice Commandos of the Armenian
    Genocide
    11/4/1982 New York City, NY Smoke Bombing Jewish Defense League
    11/16/1982 Carolina, PR Multiple Robberies (2) Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros 1
    12/8/1982 Washington, DC Attempted Bombing Norman David Mayer 1
    12/16/1982 Elmont, NY Multiple Bombings (2) United Freedom Front
    12/21/1982 New York City, NY Attempted Pipe Bombing Jewish Defense League

12/22/1982 McLean, VA Hostile Takeover People of Omar
    12/31/1982 New York City, NY Multiple Bombings (5) Armed Forces of National Liberation 3
    1/11-12/83 Miami, FL Multiple Bombings (3) Omega 7
    1/28/1983 New York City, NY Bombing Revolutionary Fighting Group
    2/13/1983 Medina, ND Shooting Sheriff’s Posse Comitatus 2 4
    2/15/1983 Killeen, TX Hijacking Hossein Olya
    2/19/1983 Washington, DC Pipe Bombing Jewish Defense League
    3/20/1983 San Antonio, TX Bombing Republic of Revolutionary
    4/26/1983 Washington, DC Bombing Armed Resistance Unit
    4/27/1983 Miami, FL Attempted Bombings (4) Haitian Extremists
    4/29/1983 Rio Piedras, PR Hostile Takeover Ejercito Popluar Boricua Macheteros
    5/12/1983 Uniondale, NY Bombing United Freedom Front
    5/13/1983 New York City, NY Bombing United Freedom Front
    5/27/1983 Miami, FL Bombing Omega 7
    7/8/1983 Miami, FL Kidnapping Ejercito Revolucionario Del Pueblo
    7/15/1983 Rio Piedras, PR Robbery Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros 1
    8/8/1983 Detroit, MI Attempted Incendiary Bombing Fuqra

8/8/1983 Detroit, MI Shooting Fuqra 1
    8/9/1983 Detroit, MI Arson Fuqra 2
    8/16/1983 Los Angeles, CA Hostile Takeover Carlos Martinez
    8/18/1983 Washington, DC Bombing Armed Resistance Unit
    8/21/1983 New York City, NY Bombing United Freedom Front
    8/27/1983 Washington, DC Incendiary Bombing Unknown
    10/12/1983 Miami, FL Pipe Bombing Omega 7
    10/30/1983 Hato Rey, PR Rocket Attack Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros
    11/7/1983 Washington, DC Bombing Armed Resistance Unit
    12/13-14/83 East Meadow, NY Multiple Bombings (2) United Freedom Front
    New York City, NY
    1/29/1984 New York City, NY Bombing United Freedom Front
    2/23/1984 New York City, NY Bombing Jewish Direct Action
    3/19/1984 Harrison, NY Bombing United Freedom Front
    4/5/1984 New York City, NY Bombing Red Guerrilla Resistance
    4/20/1984 Washington, DC Bombing Red Guerrilla Resistance
    5/9/1984 New York City, NY Attempted Assassination Bashir Baesho
    8/22/1984 Melville, NY Bombing United Freedom Front
    9/26/1984 New York City, NY Bombing Red Guerrilla Resistance
    9/26/1984 Mount Pleasant, NY Bombing United Freedom Front
    12/10/1984 Levittown, PR Multiple Bombings (5) Organization of Volunteers for the
    Rio Piedras, PR Puerto Rican Revolution
    Ponce, PR
    Mayaguez, PR
    Cayey, PR
    1/25/1985 Old San Juan, PR Rocket Attack Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros/Organization of Volunteers for the Puerto Rican Revolution

2/23/1985 New York City, NY Bombing Red Guerrilla Resistance
    5/15/1985 Northridge, CA Pipe Bombing Jewish Defense League
    8/15/1985 Paterson, NJ Bombing Jewish Defense League 1 1
    9/6/1985 Brentwood, NY Bombing Jewish Defense League 1
    10/11/1985 Santa Ana, CA Bombing Jewish Defense League 1 7
    11/6/1985 Bayamon, PR Shooting Organization of Volunteers for the Puerto Rican Revolution 1

1/6/1986 Cidra, PR Multiple Bombings (4) Ejercito Revolucionario Clandestino/ National Revolutionary Front of Puerto Rico
    Toa Baja, PR
    Guanica, PR
    Santurce, PR
    3/17/1986 Ponce, PR Attempted Bombing Commando Rojo
    4/14/1986 Rio Piedras, PR Bombing Organization of Volunteers for the Puerto Rican Revolution

4/29/1986 San Juan, PR Shooting Organization of Volunteers for the Puerto Rican Revolution 1 1

5/14/1986 Phoenix, AZ Sabotage Earth First Organization
    9/2/1986 New York City, NY Tear Gas Bombing Jewish Defense League 17
    9/15/1986 Coeur d’Alene, ID Pipe Bombing Aryan Nations
    9/29/1986 Coeur d’Alene, ID Multiple Bombings (4) Aryan Nations
    10/20/1986 New York City, NY Incendiary Bombing Jewish Defense League
    10/28/1986 Bayamon, PR Multiple Bombings (7) Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros 1
    Fajardo, PR
    Mayaguez, PR
    Aguadilla, PR
    Santurce, PR
    Fort Buchanan, PR
    11/4/1986 Puerta De Tierra, PR Attempted Bombing Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros
    12/28/1986 Yauco, PR Multiple Bombings (2) Ejercito Popular Boricua Macheteros
    Guayama, PR
    Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson