Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado pass vs super pass

Colorado pass vs super pass

I've decided I am going to (try to) do enough skiing (wanting to try snowboarding as well) this year to buy a pass.

I've mostly only skied at Copper, and I like the resort. A friend was mentioning the night skiing at Keystone, and the ability to offset yourself from some of the traffic.

Still not sure which pass to look at though, so I'm wondering if anyone who has maybe visited more of the resorts or has had both passes has any input.

Thanks.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Re: Colorado pass vs super pass

I just got the colorado pass. I think it's 10 free days at vail and beaver creek, and unlimited at the big 3.

If I ONLY like vail and beaver creek, then I'd get the full, but I ride everywhere. So 10 is good for me

Colorado pass. We rode today!
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Colorado Pass > Super Pass
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

errrrr, you mean "epic pass" when u said super, right? that's what I was guessing

Colorado FTW
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" — Hunter S. Thompson

Colorado pass FTW. Then add the Pow-Pow platter if you want to go to Copper/WP/Steamboat. If they do that again this year...
    CEO, Angry Marmot Motorsports
    07 Passion Red Kawi 650R

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    errrrr, you mean "epic pass" when u said super, right? that's what I was guessing
    The Epic Pass is the Vail Resorts pass that offers unlimited access to Vail, B.C., Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, Heavenly, and two new places out in Tahoe called Northstar-at-Tahoe, and Sierra-at-Tahoe.

The Colorado Pass is also from Vail Resorts, and includes unlimited visits to Breck, Keystone, and A-Basin only, but also provides 10 days that you can use between B.C. and Vail. Some dates during the season are blacked-out though, for those resorts. They also just added 5 visits you can use between Heavenly and Northstar-at-Tahoe, and they too follow that blackout schedule.

The Rocky Mountain Super Pass, so far as I know, includes unlimited visits to Copper Moutain and Winter Park/Mary Jane. You can upgrade that one to a RMSP+, which gives you an additional 6 days at Steamboat, unrestricted.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

night skiing at keystone is miserable unless you are from the east coast. don't bank on that being the turn of the tide for that pass.
    -Ryan

I got the Rocky Mountain Super Pass and the Loveland Pass. A-basin sucks until the back bowls open..if they ever do! Keystone is blah, Breck is great and Vail/ BC are busy. Loveland is a locals paradise, Copper back bowls are not Vails but are not as crowded with free cat rides, and Winter park is cool.

I had the 5 Mtn. last year and the ride to Vail is not worth it to me with all the tourism. I'd rather go to Loveland before work and Copper/ WP on my days off...my .02!
    2006 Ninja 500R--SOLD

All depends on where you ski. I primarily hit Copper with the occasional day at WP. I might hit Keystone for a night just because, but will pay out of pocket. If you want to try other mountains, get a four pass or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    I've decided I am going to (try to) do enough skiing (wanting to try snowboarding as well) this year to buy a pass.

I've mostly only skied at Copper, and I like the resort. A friend was mentioning the night skiing at Keystone, and the ability to offset yourself from some of the traffic.

Still not sure which pass to look at though, so I'm wondering if anyone who has maybe visited more of the resorts or has had both passes has any input.

Thanks.
    Thats a big reason I get the Colorado pass also, Keystone at night As well as having cousins who live in Breck.

The best way I ever did it (considering the ridiculous traffic) would be to head out friday after work. Ride for a couple hours at night at Keystone. Personally I think night riding is bad ass. Then, head into Breck for some drinks. Wake up Saturday morning and hit some fresh runs before the lines get too long. Bounce out around noon and head home. You still have a decent amount of your weekend left and you spend no time sitting in traffic on I-70

Colorado Pass FTW!
    Casey D

Real simple.... Do you want to shred 3 resorts or 5 resorts?

Personally I like Copper. However, I love The back bowls at Vail, Keystone, and Beaver Creek more.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Super Pass+ > Colorado Pass. I get to spread my love all over Jane's face for the 2nd season in a row. <3 Jane & Steamboat & Copper

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

It's all about what you like to ride. Personally, I don't really care for Keystone and Breck. I have always hated the lifts at A-Basin, but they replaced the base lift so it may be better. Vail and Beaver Creek, I have no experience with. I hear nothing but great things about Vail.

Super pass+ gets me WP/Jane and Copper + 6 days of Steamboat. $409 at the end of the season. The reason I like WP better than any mountain, starts with the escape from the madness that is I70. I'd rather be stuck behind a car going a bit too slow for conditions, than be stuck on I70 because there's a billion cars going too slow for conditions. I also like the natural conditions of Jane, the atmosphere, and the lifts. I go to the mountains to ride. Not to spend all day riding lifts. Jane has 2 six pack high speed lifts. Each ride is 7-8 minutes. Early morning, it's easy to get 4-5 runs in the first hour. I also prefer not to have to jump on a bus just to get from my car to the lift (great thing about A-Basin too). MJ you just walk a few feet, and ride down to the lift, right from the lot. MJ is non-commercialized, unlike the WP side. It's quiet and natural, and just has a simple restaurant and shops building at the base. No other commercialization of that side of the mountain. No hotel rooms or condos. Just parking lots and lifts. The bare essentials.

Copper is a good changeup, and great for early season. Not my favorite though. Steamboat is badass, and spectacular on a powder day.

The Colorado pass offers more mountains, but I don't like 3 of 5. To each his own, but I prefer you get the Colorado pass. Fewer people at MJ
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Colorado Pass is awesome if you can get weekdays off. Otherwise, weekend warrior skiing/riding at Breck, Keystone, and Vail are an utter nightmare/total madhouse. Parking sucks and the slopes are overcrowded, and lift lines atrocious.

The Copper Pass on the other hand is pretty bad ass for the weekend-only types. As is pretty clear from this thread... most everyone else is on their Colorade Pass.

I hate crowds... hence my love of Copper.

*As was already noted - night skiing at Keystone blows. It reminds me of my east coast "ice fest" days. Ugh. Save your edges, and the bruises on your ass... ride/ski during the day.

I think night skiing at Keystone is awesome. Sure it's a few degrees colder, and the lighting can get tricky in shadowy areas, but it's a great experience that you just can't replicate.

As far as the conditions.... If you can't handle yourself on freshly groomed hard snow, then you probably either need to get your edges redone, or just become better.

Ice = clear and reflective re-freeze.
    Hard packed snow = Hard packed snow.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    As far as the conditions.... If you can't handle yourself on freshly groomed hard snow, then you probably either need to get your edges redone, or just become better.
    Or -- you're just an east coast transplant, bitter about spending 20 years on shitty snow conditions, and now spoiled by the soft snow of Colorado's high country, with no desire to revisit the cold-flatlight-icey-hardpack snowboarding days of your youth.

Keystone nigh skiing = everyone's groomers at the beginning & end of the season. Sure there's snow, but you get odd slick spots and you've just gotta know what you're getting into.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Never've had a bunch of sympathy for the spoiled.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Thanks for all the info. I consider myself an intermediate skier, so I'm not sure how much business I have venturing into the back bowls etc. I will be mostly going on weekends. In recent history I've only skied at Copper so one thought was to try out the other mountains this year. I don't know if they've changed much, but it's been a while.

Just going to have to make a decision and go with it.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Only my second season out here. FWIW, I've found the majority of people that I come into contact with have the CO Pass. Makes it easier to find riding buddies/carpools.

If you are looking for more people to ride with, check out www.ridedbc.com for either pass you end up with.
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

I just moved from Tahoe, used to live at Northlake, nobody there offers anything as awesome as a Colorado Pass. I'm shocked the Ultra Pass or whatever includes the Sierra/Northstar pass. I remember when those were just like $250 minus holidays.

I miss having 15+ resorts within 45 miles.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*