Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2633343536

Thread: *** The Photography Thread ***

Re: *** The Photography Thread ***

I need someone to school me on these cameras i have a Nikon D3200 and i know im not unlocking the full potential

Dealine, dems awesome shots, and agreed, thanks for not taking the HDR processing too far. Those photos really pop!

Grim, what do you want to know? To "use" the camera to it's full potential would require a lot of extra gear as you'll have to make badass movies, great night photography, action photography etc...

Do you want to learn more about the tool (camera) or use the tool to it's greatest ability?

I also don't know what your frame of reference is...

But cameras are freezing light. This has very little to do with the camera... Too many people focus on the features of the camera and spend too little time on taking good pictures.
    - Anticipate the action. First you must see what is happening, then you must accurately predict what will be happening. You're better of knowing where something is going to happen, lining up the shot and taking the photo at exactly the right time than you are shooting burst mode and hoping to get a good shot.
    - Study light. Know where the light is coming from and how it influences your shots... Contrast brings out details, so does focus as you've demonstrated. All of these things help to make a 2D image more representational of our 3D experience when we perceive an image.
    - Composure - look at the background, the lines in the image. A lamp post your brain might tune out will be very apparent in the photo your taking - so get closer. Photography tends to shine much closer, or much farther than the human eye/brain perceives. So get close, or back up. Landscapes are either about shapes and color. Portraits are about details (more detail = more contrast = extreme lighting). Action shots are about technique (aperture/exposure) to either freeze the action or blur it to convey motion.

How do you best learn to use all the fancy features on your camera? By turning them off. Decide on a focal length, 50mm (what the human eye sees) which is 38mm on a DX lense (I believe), or 35mm which is what the human brain perceives (28mm on a DX lense I believe). Go to manual focus, manual exposure and manual aperture and play with it. Go to the extremes. You probably have a zoom lense with it's lowest Fstop at f/3.5 so you won't be able to get an extremely narrow depth of field but try it anyway. Learn the math behind the relationship of aperture vs. exposure vs. focal length.

When you can make photos look the way you see the world using all the manual settings you can then use the automatic settings (and will probably subsequently become frustrated with how slow and ineffective they are) to possibly make images faster. The only exception to this I have found to date in DSLR's is the addition of video over stills, AND the Nikon FA film camera, which has the shutter linked to the light sensor and can take an infinitely long, perfectly exposed photo in low light conditions as the shutter stays open until the light sensor has received enough light.

Anyway, I don't mean to lecture, but photography is all about light, and catching that light at the right moment, not about the camera. Just like riding is about physics, not about the type of bike you have. So, I hope this helps and points you in the right direction/information as I know you'll devour it.

As always, if you want to get together and discuss I'd always up for that...
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

action shot of a wave. Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    I need someone to school me on these cameras i have a Nikon D3200 and i know im not unlocking the full potential
    well it looks like you are submitted everything out of the camera without any post processing. i recommend you try shooting raw and just mess with adjustments in the raw settings through photoshop or lightroom. you don't need to know anything about the tools as those adjustments would be available to you when you bring an raw image in right away. raw file format has a lot of depth to it that simple jpgs are not capable to record. little contrast and color saturation can go a long way..

not my cat...

this one is a bit more advanced shot. takes some preparation and def good tripod... it also helps to have an assistant. which i didn't. i am both the photographer and the actor here.

New guy here who likes to take photos:

Brooklyn Bridge & Manhattan Skyline

Houston Skyline

Mewes
    09 zx6r

Sunset in in the middle of the Caribbean. What looks like a cityscape in the distance is just clouds.

I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.