Thread: New Honda V4

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

New Honda V4

Not what I was hoping for, but might appeal to some.

Details.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Re: New Honda V4

And something new, clearly based on the VFR 800:

Dirk
    Last edited by dirkterrell; Tue Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added pic...

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Not a V4, but interesting look. CB1000R:

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

And Honda, instead of spending time on stuff like this:

how about this, in 600 and 1000 versions:

Please?

Thanks,
    Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

^^VERY much agreed

Is this the new class of bike that manufacturers are focusing on? We just saw two similar unveilings from Ducati
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post

Dirk
    What's up BMW GS 650, 800, and 1200?!?!?

Dirk
    Hello Kawasaki Z1000...

Thanks,
    Dirk
    Interesting....... Still debating whether i like it or not.
    Last edited by Matty; Tue Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

The Crosstourer looks more like a GS1150 than an f800. It could be cool. I'd be interested in seeing some specs. My guess is that it's a big pig, like the others in that boat. That would be sweet if it came with crash bars! It would have been really cool if they made the Crossrunner to compelete with the f800 and made it a little more dirt friendly.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Actually, I like everything, ecpecially the "RC"-looking bike, except that butt-ugly scooter.

That adventure bike looks cool.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

All these adventure bikes... makes it harder to decide what to upgrade the 650GS with. Triumph? 'nuther BMW? now Honda?

They should've revived the TransAlp name.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    They should've revived the TransAlp name.
    That's more of a cult than the KLR! I'm still waiting for the Yamaha Tenere 660 to come to the US.

For an adventure bike, or even a sport bike, why has nobody built a 1200cc parallel twin with a 90deg crank (mimicing a v-twin firing order)? That seems a perfect engine package. Elligeable for WSB and AMA racing rules, and a very nice package to build any kind of bike around. The primary and secondary imbalances can be worked out, and elegant solution being what was used on the Ducati Supermono.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    For an adventure bike, or even a sport bike, why has nobody built a 1200cc parallel twin with a 90deg crank (mimicing a v-twin firing order)? That seems a perfect engine package. Elligeable for WSB and AMA racing rules, and a very nice package to build any kind of bike around. The primary and secondary imbalances can be worked out, and elegant solution being what was used on the Ducati Supermono.
    Check out the Yamaha Super Tenere. It will be available in the US in 1012.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Check out the Yamaha Super Tenere. It will be available in the US in 1012.
    EXACTLY! I'm surprised nobody's done that in WSB yet.
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...51/0/home.aspx

The only thing I don't like: 575 lb

I saw a guy who made an adventure bike from a Gixxer 1k. It was insane, almost 160hp, about 10"+ of suspension travel, and about 475lb. Couldn't find it, but THAT I could get behind. Hey, it's a narrower engine that the BMW GS and WAY more powerful!
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Tue Nov 2nd, 2010 at 04:05 PM.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I saw a guy who made an adventure bike from a Gixxer 1k. It was insane, almost 160hp
    That got me wondering about the power on this new Crosstourer from Honda. It shares the 1200cc V4 with the new VFR. I took plots of its torque curve with that of several big supersports and overlaid them The curves are all from Sport Rider mag, so presumably the same dyno for reasonable comparisons. The VFR peaks at 142hp and 81 ft-lbs of torque. The 2010 Gixxer 1K is 156hp and 76 ft-lbs. Fairly close but look at the torque curves on the low end.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

That got me wondering about the power on this new Crosstourer from Honda. It shares the 1200cc V4 with the new VFR. I took plots of its torque curve with that of several big supersports and overlaid them The curves are all from Sport Rider mag, so presumably the same dyno for reasonable comparisons. The VFR peaks at 142hp and 81 ft-lbs of torque. The 2010 Gixxer 1K is 156hp and 76 ft-lbs. Fairly close but look at the torque curves on the low end.
    Dirk
    Is it in the same state of tune though? That looks like a real nice curve regardless, but I wonder about the 3k dip. From what I remember reading, that's an emissions thing (at the point the EPA tests?), so that could probably easily be filled in with a Power Commander. Plus, hey, there's no replacement for displacement! If I could ever afford a second bike, it'd be an Adventure bike for sure. Don;t see the need for 2 sportbikes. I'd seriously look at the 1k V-Strom (cheap) and add some all new suspension, or if I could afford it, a KTM 990 Adventure, or now that Yamaha and Honda are making these, it'd probably be either of them. Glad to see the class expanding with what looks like some REALLY nice bikes. I'm still disappointed in the weights though. Why can't they make it lighter? My Olde School KX500 weighs under 230lbs. I know they'd never be able to do that, but..... It may be able to dance and all, but at 575lb, it's still a pig in a pretty dress.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I'd be more interested in the Crosstourer (1200cc) as opposed to the Crossrunner (800cc), but with cast wheels. Not a huge fan of spokes. Also, there's an Accord Crosstour, so they should think about changing names.

More info:
    http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle...r_-_first_look

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...a-crossrunner/

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...ourer-concept/

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Is it in the same state of tune though?
    Unknown at this point. Wouldn't surprise me if they tuned it for even better low-end output.

or now that Yamaha and Honda are making these, it'd probably be either of them. Glad to see the class expanding with what looks like some REALLY nice bikes. I'm still disappointed in the weights though. Why can't they make it lighter? My Olde School KX500 weighs under 230lbs. I know they'd never be able to do that, but..... It may be able to dance and all, but at 575lb, it's still a pig in a pretty dress.
    They address a different kind of riding than a KX. These bikes are meant to haul you down the asphalt like (sport)touring bikes but be able to head down rough dirt roads too. They're not meant for hard-core dirt riding. They have much beefier tail sections, for example, for hauling lots of crap around.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Unknown at this point. Wouldn't surprise me if they tuned it for even better low-end output.
    True dat, that's why I mentioned it. I figure they'd be able to fill in that dip even if it flattens the entire curve a little on top. A worthwile tradeoff for a "dirt" bike.

They address a different kind of riding than a KX. These bikes are meant to haul you down the asphalt like (sport)touring bikes but be able to head down rough dirt roads too. They're not meant for hard-core dirt riding. They have much beefier tail sections, for example, for hauling lots of crap around.
    True, I just think if they paid the same attention to weight-saving detail (aluminum frame, engine weight, etc.) they do to top-line sportbikes, they could easily pare 60lbs or more off of it. That would do wonders for the weight of a bike in a catagory where I'd argue that weight is MORE important of an issue than sportbikes (where you strip it for racing anyway). Who wants to have to muscle around a 575lb (+luggage) dirtbike, or have to pick it up in the mud WHEN it gets dumped. That'd be one reason for me to look at the FG800 vs the 1200GS. I like it though, as well as the new Tenere. I'd go look at one for sure.

Dirk
    x

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Actually, the 1200's engine is supposedly lighter and smaller than the 800's, so they clearly put some effort into that.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Actually, the 1200's engine is supposedly lighter and smaller than the 800's, so they clearly put some effort into that.

Dirk
    Good deal. Really, larger displacement engines, all things being equal WILL be a little heavier, a beefier crank (steel vs. al) probably the biggest factor by a large margin, but the rest is aluminum so it doesn't and SHOULDN'T be too much heavier. If it's lighter, then they did a good job of doing the stress analysis and only putting the metal where it's really needed. Did you see the weight of the 'Tourer? I only looked casually.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

If it's lighter, then they did a good job of doing the stress analysis and only putting the metal where it's really needed. Did you see the weight of the 'Tourer? I only looked casually.
    Apparently the unicam top end saved quite a bit versus the traditional dohc approach. I haven't yet seen anything about the weight of the bike, but I don't expect it to be greatly different from similar offerings by the other manufacturers.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Apparently the unicam top end saved quite a bit versus the traditional dohc approach. I haven't yet seen anything about the weight of the bike, but I don't expect it to be greatly different from similar offerings by the other manufacturers.

Dirk
    Yeah, it seems like each mfr is kinda ok with the status quo, and not willing to make big leaps in the segment. I tell you, always assuming I'd ever be able to buy anything, weight will be a consideration for me. I think I'd be kinda leaning towards the Yamaha. I like the idea of that motor. I mean, if it was tuned right, they should be able to get 1198 kinds of numbers from the engine. It'll be interesting to see a comparo of all of them!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

how about this, in 600 and 1000 versions:

SEX!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian