Thread: PROJECT - Resurrecting a Ninja from the dead!

PROJECT - Resurrecting a Ninja from the dead!

Hi All - it's been a long time since I've posted here. I had to sell my beloved ZX6R 636 two summers ago, (I think that was the last time I posted here) and I've been jones'n for a bike since then, but have been going through a 2 year long nightmare with life and finances. Well, I found a bike in my budget, (which is pretty much zero) and I thought I would share this project.

Picked this bike up the other day for an unbelievable price - only $350 - it's a 2001 Ninja ZX6R 600J, and it looks like it rolled right out of the junkyard. 13k miles, and it's pretty trashed - it's missing a bunch of parts, and I'm hard pressed to find something that doesn't need work. I'm baffled by how a bike can even get into this kind of condition!

The tank is missing the fuel valve and has some random gas cap shoved into it. The stator cover gasket is missing (!), the fork seals are leaking, all of the front ram air ducting is missing, a majority of the bolts and several brackets are missing, the chain is toast, the tail is smashed and held together with wood (!) and duct tape, there was no oil in it, there's pure water in the cooling system, the battery is shot, needs tires, the list goes on and on. According the the seller, it hasn't run in a long time.

The good news: The rest of the plastic is solid, no cracks or rash, and once I got past the ugly, it appears to be solid and is mechanically sound and tight.

Took it to the car wash tonight and cleaned it up, put oil and a filter on it, hooked it up with jumpers, and it cranks fine and fired and tried to run off of carb cleaner. The motor sounds perfect, and the bit of oil I did drain from it was clean. When it comes right down to it, it looks like a fuel valve (about $20) is about all that will be needed to be able to take it for a test ride. Of course, it needs a lot more work beyond that to make it truly ride-worthy, but that will come with time...

Tomorrow, (or this weekend) I'll be heading out to steele's to see if I can find another one of these that I can get bolts and brackets off of, and to find a fuel valve. Are there any other sportbike junkyards in town?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, I might just leave it ugly fro a while and ride it, until I get some breathing room in the budget. It books out at about $2500, but are going for way more than that, from what I've seen so far. I could certainly fix it up to be 100%, but I would have to go all the way, and judging by the condition of the finish on the frame and swingarm, I would have to strip it all down and have those items refinished, would be where I would start. The swingarm looks like there's grease actually embedded in the finish, and I can see black where the frame has been scuffed through, so I'm assuming I'm seeing primer and the frame is painted? Anyone know if these are painted, or coated, or ???

I'll post updates and pics here as the project progresses, but it'll probably be slow going. (I've got the whole winter to work on it)

Here's my list of parts needed so far, somewhat in order of importance. I'm sure it will grow as I get further into the project. If anyone has any of these or knows where I can get them, hit me up. Oh, I need a service manual, too.

Pics after the list, or see the full set here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5556587...7625184342297/

2001 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX600J*
    fuel valve
    gas cap assy
    fuel tank
    stator cover gasket
    thermostat & gasket
    lower radiator hose
    chain
    inner fender (battery box)
    rear fairing upper & lower
    ram air assembly (everything forward of intake tubes)
    right passenger foot peg mount bolt
    driver foot pegs
    left handlebar controls
    brake lever
    clutch cable
    choke cable (possibly)
    handle grips
    fairing bolts
    re-key the rear seat lock, gas cap, ignition lock to match
    front left & right fairing upper covers
    turn signals - will probably do flush front, integrated tail
    passenger seat
    front fender sides
    idle adjust cable bracket
    rear brake line brackets
    bolts, clips & brackets all over the bike
    Last edited by Kevin; Thu Nov 4th, 2010 at 12:59 AM.
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

Re: PROJECT - Resurrecting a Ninja from the dead!

Looks like fun! You have a title for it, right?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

looks like you have some more wood in the back ground to put her back together lol... good luck, ill bet there are a few of these bikes around that have been down and are now parts bikes. im sure youll be riding next spring!

That looks like an awesome project Kevin. Where did you find the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Looks like fun! You have a title for it, right?
    yup. Arizona title, been through three owners without miles added or being transferred, so who knows what trouble I'll have at the DMV, but a clean title nonetheless.
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch View Post
    That looks like an awesome project Kevin. Where did you find the bike?
    Found it on craigslist. The guy was asking 1K but after looking it over really well, I offered him $200. He just wanted it gone. I can see why.
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    yup. Arizona title, been through three owners without miles added or being transferred, so who knows what trouble I'll have at the DMV, but a clean title nonetheless.
    That's GOLD if you're doing a rebuild. Lemme tell just how much it sucks to NOT have a title for something you get all excited about and start putting work into.

Just make sure that neither the seller's block on the title, nor any part of the bill of sale have dates on them. You wanna fill those out JUST before you take it into the DMV to switch the title. If you don't, you run the risk of paying late fees for not registering the bike. They are ANAL nazi's about that damn reg fee... I had to pay a late fee for not registering a salvage title bike...even though the title said "Salvage - This title cannot be registered." stucking fupid....
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Found it on craigslist. The guy was asking 1K but after looking it over really well, I offered him $200. He just wanted it gone. I can see why.
    Cool - I'll be looking for a cheap wrecked 1000cc in the coming months, so I'll have to start watching craigs list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch View Post
    Cool - I'll be looking for a cheap wrecked 1000cc in the coming months, so I'll have to start watching craigs list.
    Look here: http://wreckedbike.com/
    here: http://www.salvagedirect.com/
    here:
    http://www.salvagebikesauction.com/
    and here:
    http://www.recreationalsalvage.com/

(I've been looking for awhile!)
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

That will help! Thanks Kevin!

UPDATE! Re: PROJECT - Resurrecting a Ninja from the dead!

Update!
    Threw some fuel at it tonight, and after some coaxing, it fired up and ran. Sounds nice and solid, but...

It needs an ignition module. Load the module up too much and it intermittently throws the coils directly to ground. for awhile, It wouldn't stay running without the crank switch held down (thought it was a bad main relay) but I guess the ignitor just had to warm up a bit.

One of the carb floats was stuck too - giving it a couple knocks cleared it up. Don't know if that will continue to be a problem - I'll evaluate the condition of the carbs and if they need a rebuild (probably) once I get the module replaced and it's running strong.

My guess is the failed ignitor is why the bike went down in the first place, and why someone dove in to try and fix it, (It has brand new spark plugs in it.), got in over their head, and why I ultimately ended up with it.
    Last edited by Kevin; Fri Nov 5th, 2010 at 08:33 AM.
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

TEST RIDE!!!!!

Well, took it for it's first test ride tonight. 41 frickin degrees! It runs great, handles well, feels mechanically sound, and at this point is ready to ride.

I've been working on this thing pretty much every evening since I brought it home. I'm almost amused at how screwed up this thing is! Let me tell you, if it can be bent, it is. If it can be assembled wrong, backwards, mis-wired, mis-plumbed, put together wrong, it is. Every singe thing I've touched on this bike has been wrong in some way. Even the tail light bulbs were screwed up! They (both!) were shorted so it appeared the brake light was always on. I swear this thing lived on a dirt road and was ridden and abused like a dirt bike and worked on by some half-ass farmboy! But I have it to the point now where everything is working and everything under the plastic is assembled properly, as it was from the factory.

Replaced/scavenged/repaired/corrected so far:

Tail upper replaced (trashed)
    Tail light housing (and bulbs!) (mounting lugs broken)
    Tail light mount (bent)
    under tail/inner fender (had big rough hole cut in it and patched with wood as a fender eliminator)
    rear seat lock re-keyed
    rear brake hose brackets (missing)
    wire harness (mis-routed - everywhere)
    negative battery cable repaired
    junction box (bad headlight relay)
    CDI (grounding coils)
    ignition pickup (shorted)
    battery (dead, dry)
    both seat hold-down brackets (missing)
    fuel pump relay (mounted backwards)
    fuel tank (dented, gas cap lip bent)
    fuel valve (missing)
    gas cap (missing, re-keyed)
    rebuilt and synced carbs
    idle adjuster (broken)
    idle adjuster bracket (missing)
    fuel filter (installed backwards)
    fuel filter bracket (bent)
    fuel filter rubber mount (missing)
    fuel lines and clamps (missing, wrong, kinked, too small)
    fuel pump bracket (bent)
    fuel pump (installed backwards and pumping wrong direction)
    shifter (mis-adjusted)
    coolant overflow hose to tank (wrong one, patched together in 3 pieces from some yellow hydraulic hose that belongs on farm equipment)
    added oil (dry) and changed filter
    oil pressure sensor (unplugged)
    coolant temp sensor (unplugged)
    right and left handlebar controls (cleaned and now working properly)
    throttle cables (trashed)
    choke cable (dirty and binding)
    bolts/screws/fasteners for all of the above (missing, wrong bolts, or in wrong places)
    any other brackets I didn't mention were all bent in some way.

Things left to fix over the winter:
    main relay rubber mount missing
    license plate bracket missing
    high-low beams are electrically reversed (WTF????)
    right clip-on bent
    brake lever bent (pazzo levers, here I come!)
    re-cover both seats (anyone here any good at this?)
    all font air ducting missing
    upper side covers missing
    front fender sides missing (may have these located, waiting to hear back)
    find fasteners/bushings etc for tank and almost all plastics
    new handle grips
    new tires
    replace thermostat/gasket/flush cooling system (it's pure water now)
    replace lower radiator hose
    replace stator cover gasket
    strip & refinish frame/swingarm/subframe/wheels (frame and swingarm look like crap, hate the blue wheels) (complete teardown this winter! FUN!!)
    prep/paint plastic
    new windshield
    disassemble & polish headlight
    LED front turn signals
    tail light integrator & LED's
    new chain
    replace fork seals
    flush brake fluid
    replace clutch cable
    coolant tank overflow hose missing

Money spent so far: $499.38 (not too bad!) It's ride-able! Most of the $$$ went to the CDI, junction box, ignition pickup and tank/fuel valve/gas cap. Oh, and bonus, I found an owner's manual in the bargain bin at fay meyer's for $2.00!

Whew! I'd post new pics, but there really isn't that much more to see right now. I'll wait until I tear it down to the frame and start refinishing.
    Last edited by Kevin; Wed Nov 10th, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

Hey, I race a 97 zx6r that I resurected after being dormant for 7 years. Fun bikes, tough as nails. Nice score. check out http://www.kawiforums.com/zzr600-zx-6r-old-school/ for some good info and parts gathering. BTW, You could race that modern vintage next season!!!
    Slow and stupid....at least its entertaining to watch.

03 R1 Limited Edition (Satanic Edition)
    00 R6 Racebike

MRA # 420
    Rocky Mountain Photos, DBA Construction LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Davy4575 View Post
    Hey, I race a 97 zx6r that I resurected after being dormant for 7 years. Fun bikes, tough as nails. Nice score. check out http://www.kawiforums.com/zzr600-zx-6r-old-school/ for some good info and parts gathering. BTW, You could race that modern vintage next season!!!
    Thanks for the link - I'll definitely check it out!

Initial impression on this test ride was that the suspension is much softer than my '03 636 and it didn't turn into corners as nimbly, but I didn't check the tire pressure, who knows how low the forks are on oil, I haven't adjusted the suspension for my weight, and it was only about a 15 minute ride around the neighborhood in 40 degree temps. Seemed like it had more power than my 636 tho. I'd love to get it on the track once I get used to it and have some miles under my belt on it.
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

Follow up

Took 4 months, but I finally got this build finished! It turned out even better than I ever expected!

See the end result in this thread:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=39122
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"