Thread: 2002 R6 D&D Slip on exhaust advice?!?!?!

Board Newbie

2002 R6 D&D Slip on exhaust advice?!?!?!

I am hoping to get some advice here, I have 2002 R6, and I recently purchased a K&N air filter and a D&D Slip on exhuast. The filter is brand new while the exhaust is used purchased on Ebay. My problem is noise and power. The exhaust was previously damaged with minor sctraches, but overall looks okay. 2 things i noticed the exhaust is extremely loud, and I feel like I lost power.

I am just wondering if this exhaust could be possibly damaged internally, or is this exhuast not a quality product. I was thinking of buying a brand new D&D but I would hate for the same power and noise issue. Have anyone had experience with this type of slip on?

Or maybe recommendations on another product that is reasonibly priced.

thanks

Re: 2002 R6 D&D Slip on exhaust advice?!?!?!

I wouldnt have any idea on the performance issues, but I have heard that the D&D exhaust is wicked loud (compared to stock). Check out THIS LINK. Its for the 03-04 R6s, but it still has some good info.

Welcome to the forums
    Cleveland

D&D pipes are by far the loudest things on the planet, well almost.
    --Chad

98 Ducati 748

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar
    i have advice for your D&D.... take it off!! no exhaust is quieter than a D&D!
    CSUAdam on the boards has/had a D&D on his R6 and i couldn't ride next to him or behind him, it was loud as
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Icey T";p="194595
    I am hoping to get some advice here,
    wear earplugs
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

2 things:

1) I have heard (from multiple sources), that the best air filter for the 99-02 R6 is the stock one. It's entirely possible that (at least some of) your grief is being caused by the K&N.

2) D&D's are quite possible the loudest pipe on the planet!!! Nonetheless, you may need to rejet for it. Check with Brian & Bart @ TK motorsports (see link in my sig to get contact info) - they have lots of experiences with R6's.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I agree with everything said above. The D&D brand is really loud across the board and I would probably have chosen to avoid it for that reason. Also if you've added an aftermarked exhaust and opened up the intake there is far more air flowing through than your bike is jetted for. Rejetting with the guys at TK is the best thing you could do.

I had an FZR 400 for a bit and the stock air filter and box was by far the best combination for power on that bike. There were lots of guys running pod filters on it and they would get a boost at the very top end of the power curve, but the bikes had NO midrange at all. I suspect that in the end you will find the same thing is true with your R6. On a dyno it may make more peak power, but the midrange is all but gone.

When you take it to be jetted be sure to have the exact combination of intake and exhaust you plan to keep using. On my fizzer I really liked the Hindle exhaust, you may look for one of those?

Scott

D&D's aren't that loud, just ask Kingnadda.

Tanya
    '00 Ducati Monster 900
    '03 Ducati Monster 620 (sold)
    '00 Mercedes Benz C280 Sport
    '91 VW Jetta GLi 2.0 16v on it's nutz (sold)

Anonymous: "Ok...so I had sex with Grimace..."

Since it's a 2002, it's fuel injected correct? I would consider maybe getting a power commander and remapping. Sometimes addind mods like you have done can actually lower the hp if the computer isn't re-mapped (power commanders don't actually re-map your stcok ecu and their affect will be nullified if you just unplug it).

As for the noise.... I love it! I've got one myself on a 2002 GSX-R600. The noise is awesome. I actually like it because I think people may be able to hear me when I'm around them and I feel a little safer. As for the power drop, I noticed it too on my bike. I haven't bought a power commander yet but am going to get the PCIII USB. Here's a good place to buy'em:

http://www.hardracing.com/PowerCommand.htm

hope this helped

Board Newbie

Thanks for all the advise, this was my first experiment with modifying my bike. I think I slip the factory exhaust back on then see if I feel the difference in torque, if there's no difference, maybe try going back the factory air filter with just the D&D exhaust see where it gets me.

I dont really mind the noise as much, but now it kinda sounds like a dirt bike, with no get up and go, haha...

The weekend looks great, happy riding!!!