Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touring on a Sportbike

Touring on a Sportbike

I am looking for a little advice from those of you who have toured (1000+ mile trips) extensively. At this point most of my questions are geared towards the bike itself, specifically using a sportbike for such trips. In my quest for information all I seem to find is information related to Harleys, VFR’s or BMW GS’s for longer trips.
    Has anyone here attempted cross-country trips on a sportbike? If so what was your experience? More importantly, would you do it again or use a different bike? What advice would you give to others who are contemplating such a journey?
    To provide you a little context I have been planning a roughly 4K mile journey for the past two years to take place this coming August. The trip will take right at a month and utilize mostly semi-primitive campgrounds (e.g. tent camping at a KOA, B&B’s, and camp cabins). I am also planning to purchase a new bike in the next 60 days that will be used for general-purpose riding, spirited canyon rides and this trip. I do not want to purchase a bike that would only be good at touring and leave me longing for something more for the everyday riding I will do the rest of the year, hence my desire to tour on a sportbike (specifically a S1000RR)
    Any information or advice is appreciated.
    Joe
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Re: Touring on a Sportbike

I know a guy that did an 8,000 mile trip on his ZX6R. He loved the bike for it and had a blast. He's got all kinds of info on his website about it. http://ninjaexplorer.dynamitedave.com/

pretty cool dude, knew him from back home in VA.

I also know a dude that did a 12,000mi trip on a 2009 WR250X. That's just straight gangster.

Oh yea and I think one huge thing for both those guys was the fact that they bought an aftermarket seat cushion. Corbin, i think, is the brand.

Dave (ZX6R guy) told me he ended up spending a small fortune on gear and stuff for that trip, so be prepared.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Really, it depends on how your choice of bikes fit YOU, and secondarily if the gas tank is big enough to make it between stops with a safety margin. The server crashed, but I did 2 long tours this summer on my '01 Gixxer 1K (bought new) with, now, 52k on it. 1,800mi in 4 days thru 3 states on the 4th of July, then for labor day I did 1,000mi in 3 days thru much twistier roads. I fit my older bike very well as I'm taller and the older ones wer larger though lighter. I had enough tank to go 180mi or so max, though in the barrens of AZ I stopped every 100mi when I could because I didn't want to count on being able to find good (conoco, Exxon, etc.) fuel. Everything I needed including my SLR-sized Canon fit in my tankbag, never had a fuel issue, and even with the high-miles bike I had zero issues. I think the key is to stay hydrated (I had a liter of gatorade in the bag at all times), bring gum or mints, stand up on the bike to stretch and move on the seat often, and for me, especially across the entire barren top of AZ froom East to West, a music player with earplug headphones. Also, a friend showed me a trick I used and modified with great success: take a gallon ziplock bag, get one of those microfiber rags for waxing cars, and get it fairly wet, and put it in the bag. It clears the bugs right off amazingly easy, and use a soft tissue or other to dry the faceshield off. I have pics on my facebook page, if your interested I'll give you the address.

Best of luck, have fun, and be safe!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

[QUOTE=CYCLE_MONKEY;530363] I have pics on my facebook page, if your interested I'll give you the address.QUOTE]

Great advice guys. I am very interested in seeing pics of how you setup the bike and on any gear you took. Setup seems to be a little personnal but I would love to see what others have done.
    The link below is a quick preview of what I am thinking. However I would like to mention that I plan to hub out of a half dozen cities to see the local area including San Diego, San Fran, BC, and Calgary. I dont want to have to find a new place to crash each night so my goal is to spend three days at each destination. This should also limit the amount of highway time.
    Also here is a pic of the tail bag I am leaning towards.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...55&ie=UTF8&z=5

In the summer of 1999 my friend and I did a road trip from NY (upstate) to AL to TX to CO and back.

We didn't camp, we found cheap-O motels (first floor rooms for obvious reasons) and stayed with friends along the route (which was how the route was determined).

I can't say it was amazing or epic, as it really was way, way more boring that either of us expected/hoped/dreamed--most of the time anyway. Places like Mt. Lemon in AZ, Deal's Gap, Cherohola HWY & Blue Ride Pkwy were fun, but otherwise it was a lot of highway riding.

Still, it was definitely kinda cool just to do it.

The bikes we had were my 99 F4 and his 96 900RR, we used backpacks, back bags and tank bags, no saddle bags. He had a touring outfit, I just wore my two-piece leathers.

As to the short tank range, I actually didn't mind at all, as it was an excuse to get off the bike, stretch, eat, clear you head and wander around for a bit. We weren't really on a clock, so our schedule didn't matter--it wasn't an endurance race it was a road trip.

I've done (and still do) multiple long-distance trips by car many times (CO-NY, NY-AL, AL-CO, NJ-CO, etc), but on a bike it seemed far more tedious and imho, dangerous.

We didn't have voice coms, or iPods, so the continual windnoise (with ear plugs in) was fatiguing in and of itself, especially as it became just white noise which led to a lack of attention due to mental drift--again, especially on the long boring stretches of highway.

I'm not sure any of this helps you, but my advice is just to find ways to stay sharp, as that really was the biggest issue we both had.

As to comfort, I had an OEM seat and I would definitely recommend something else.

But, as far as touring on a sport bike, I wasn't horribly uncomfortable other than that, despite aftermarket rearsets and stock-height bars.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

The aftermarket seat is a good idea. I am also considering aftermarket adjustable rear sets, cramp buster or some other form of a throttle lock, and some custom formed ear buds for my ipod. I will probably also change the windscreen to something a little higher, add heated grips, and possibly look into a different type of rubber.
    How did your body fair over multiple riding days? After around 350 miles my back starts to tighten up and I find myself sore in strange areas the next day. Conditioning obviously plays a role but the aggressive position of the bike is something I am concerned about.
    Lastly, given the type of riding I outlined above if you had to pick your bike...what would it be?

Joe

sounds like you don't want to hear it but, sixth gen VFR. left over '07 model 800s still available for $7000-$7500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...item2a0b779f3b

/thread
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I owned a FJR 1300 that I purchased in Los Angeles. I rode in back to Colorado in two and half days. This bike was absolutely amazing. I had Dave set the suspension, and it was a freaking animal. I was able to take that thing on canyon rides and keep up just fine.

If you are looking for a bike that can do it all, the FJR is my vote!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Repsol a095 View Post
    I owned a FJR 1300 that I purchased in Los Angeles. I rode in back to Colorado in two and half days. This bike was absolutely amazing. I had Dave set the suspension, and it was a freaking animal. I was able to take that thing on canyon rides and keep up just fine.

If you are looking for a bike that can do it all, the FJR is my vote!
    Read:hauled ass in the canyons.

I did a trip from Phoenix to Denver on a gsxr 750 '07 with saddle bags. Had a gel seat on her. The gas thing was good for stopping but you really need to plan your duel stops ahead of time. I didn't have music at the time So it was a long ride. I had friends along the way so I made a three day trip out of it. It was about 900 or So miles.

A cramp buster of sorts would be a good idea. Take a few black trash bags as they serve many purposes ie rain coat, keep stuff dry, keep wet stuff wet, and you can cover your seat at night. My $0.02.
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

I’ve never done a month long trip, just week long trips around CO and surrounding states. Tail-pack, and/or back-pack, throttle rocker, radar detector, and my FZR is comfortable enough to knock out 400 mile days no problem. Gas is rarely an issue cuz my range is 280 miles. I’ve never camped b/c I don’t want to carry all that gear, and really don’t want to camp after 400 miles on a motorcycle. I look for a decent motel (very rarely make a reservation), good meal and a cold beer at day’s end.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

The most I have done is up to Canada and back in a week, this was about 2600 miles on a 2000 ZX9. If I didnt have to get back to work i was ready to go for another week but the bike played a big part in that, the ZX9 and the CBR954 of the same era were couches compared to modern 'race bikes with lights'. On your trip I would really reconsider the camping every night, I personally dont camp at all when on a bike but I would suggest at least half the time in a motel as a soft bed and hot shower makes the next day much more enjoyable. On the bike I prefer sport saddlebags to a tail bag as it keeps the weight lower, I always have a tank bag and for shorter trips I use a backpack rather than saddlebags. Pack light, for clothing I only take (besides what I am wearing) 1 pair of pants, 3 shirts and 3 sets of underwear and socks. Plan every third day to check in early and do laundry. A gel seat is a good idea, I dont use any kind of throttle rocker/cramp buster as it doesnt bother me but many swear by them.

An idea for the trip would be to set up a 'base camp' for 3 or 4 days in a fun area then you can leave most of your gear behind and explore the area carrying just the basics, returning back each evening.

All of my super long distance rides have all been for Iron Butt or the such, so it's all been on the clock and that changes the whole game. As far as comparison/contrasting, I did great on my 650R in the long distances - really, really unsure how I'd do on the 675. Most of the main points have been touched upon above, but my numero uno resource for all things touring is: http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php
    I know there are more than a few of us CSC'ers that are on there as well, but you'll find any variety of bikes and setups on there. They love, love LOVE answering your type of questions as well!!!
    Good luck!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

I did a +1000miler over 3 days back in September, 400/300/300+ days. It wasn't too demanding physically, but another matter mentally. You have to stay alert all that time and it could be exhausting. There were three of us so it was ok to pass each other at times just for a different view. The worst mistake is to eat too much at one meal, like a big lunch. Then you're just asking to drift off and want to sleep. Take more short breaks than needed, and stay hydrated. We always had some 5hr energy shots in the tank bag, and they came in handy towards the end of the day.

As for riding the Gixxer, I didn't modify it at all. Some sort of cramp buster setup would have made it easier on the wrist. I used a set of saddlebags, a tank bag and a camelbak. I didn't need a tailbag for just the weekend, but if you use one, put light stuff like rain gear and small stuff in it. Keep the heavy gear in the saddle bags, down low. We brought light gear since we stayed at KOA's cabins, no tents required. If you are traveling in a group plan to eliminate duplications like everyone bringing a can of chain lube, or the same tools. That way you can pack more variety.
    Last edited by asp_125; Sun Nov 14th, 2010 at 09:12 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I'm going to seriously look for a good cruise control before any long rides next season. On the 1,800mi trip I listed, I did a 500mi first day followed by a 600mi day, that one I was on the road for 14 hours. I could have covered a LOT more miles but I was stopping for pics every few miles in some areas. The longest day I ever did was about 900mi when I rode my '83 GS1100ES from SoCal to Boulder and back for a month-long vacation in '85.

I liked having a magnetic tank bag, because I had my map in it, and also put my GPS there when I needed it, and it also made getting to my camera easier when stopping. Plus, it's easier to take off the bike when going into a store etc. I'd rather use saddlebags than a bag that sits on the rear seat as it makes swinging a leg over the bike a total PITA, especially if you're shorter (I'm 6'1"). But, beware, at least for me, my tankbag started to liftoff at about 120mph-ish......

There are some brand new, '07 and '08 VFR's sitting on the floor at Action Motorsports in Idaho Falls, ID, just waiting to be "adopted", and there's some new Gixxers there of the same years too, and they were listing them as $6,400 and $6,900 for the Gixxers respectively, and around the same for the VFR's. Check 'em out, I'm sure you can get a phone number for them.

Personally, I'd avoid the camping thing and find cheap motels, or even nice ones if the budget allows it. Nothing like a hot shower then sitting in a hot tub for a few hours sipping a bourbon after a long day, followed by a good night's sleep and another hot shower to start the day refreshed for another 600mi or so.
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Sun Nov 14th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

ThrottleMeister FTW
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

http://vfrworld.com/forums/trips-eve...acramento.html

very comfortable tourer, extremely affordable right now with the leftovers, and very capable in the twisties. You'll find V4whore as one of the front bikes in any group ride with his.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I do most of my longer rides on my Sprint ST, while its not a full on sport bike, its not really a tourer either. I have done multiple 1000+ weekends along with an 800 mile day in the canyons.

things that make life more enjoyable:
    Corbin Seat
    hard saddle bags (watertight)
    cramp buster/throttle meister
    QUALITY Rain gear
    small can of honda polish and microfiber rag
    backpacking tent/camp gear/etc
    Halls to suck on
    enough tools to be able to do what you have to
    taller windscreen (esp on a sportbike)
    small camp seat (REI $15)

I really like having the backpacking size camping gear to limit the amount of luggage I need. I hate riding with a tankbag, so i try to limit what i carry to the side bags and a waterproof duffel strapped to the rear seat. I also started wearing padded biker shorts under my riding pants, I found the little bit of padding really helped to prevent developing sore spots. I just started carrying the little tripod camp seat as well. After a long day on the bike it was nice to be able to sit on something reasonable around the campfire.

I'd hate to say it, but an S1000RR is not going to be body friendly, but if you are a true masochist, go for it.

Thumbs up Re: Touring on a Sportbike

Setup and planning are key.

The farthest we did was about 3,000 miles in 8 days.

Personally I would limit your days to 250-300 miles and all on secondary roads. Avoid the freeway if you can. The air is much choppier and can just make the trip a chore instead of fun.

While 500+ mile days can be done, you start to focus on getting there and really miss out on all the neat places and stuff along the way.

Obviously if you are planning 4,000 over a month this should be pretty easy to do.

Here is the set up I run on my 07 R1 for "SPORT touring"

-Heli bars
    -Yamaha gel seat. (rotate with beaded seat on/off every gas stop)
    -Throttlemeiseters
    -Double bubble windscreen
    -heated grips
    -Dual compound sport touring tires
    -Scala rider bluetooth helmet headset/mp3/intercom
    -tank bag with Camelbak built in.
    -Custom Hard Pelican 1430 panniers with a duffel on top. (or your tent, etc)
    -I have a "cigarette ligher" 12v plug under the rear seat that runs into the panniers for charging phones, ipods etc while on the go.

FWIW I'm 6'2" 230lbs.

Pic is at that California/Arizona boarder somewhere.

Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

Joe, it sounds like 4k in one month, that's a lot of miles, but also a lot of time. That's an average of 133 miles a day. You could def do it on a s1000rr with the right gear. A VFR would be great for this trip, but you would have to decide if it's sporty enough for your daily/weekend needs. They can def haul ass if ridden well. With the race bike and dirt bike, do you really need something that is super sporty? Or do you just want a S1000rr?

One big plus to a sport touring bike is that you can have the hard bags which are usually water tight and you can lock them. Great for traveling. I've used the Cortech soft bags (look at my fb page) and they are great, but not lockable and I have to stop to put on the covers every time it starts raining. Plus, a VFR has a center stand, which can come in real handy when working on the bike or lubing the chain.
    Last edited by Sean; Sat May 18th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

In 1996 we did 7K in 23 days. Canada + WY + ID + WA + OR + CA + NV + UT + CO. I had a 1993 ZX-11 C model. It performed flawlessly -- except for the regulator rectifier that holed me up in beautiful Bountiful Utah for three days.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
    Setup and planning are key.

The farthest we did was about 3,000 miles in 8 days.

Personally I would limit your days to 250-300 miles and all on secondary roads. Avoid the freeway if you can. The air is much choppier and can just make the trip a chore instead of fun.

While 500+ mile days can be done, you start to focus on getting there and really miss out on all the neat places and stuff along the way.

Obviously if you are planning 4,000 over a month this should be pretty easy to do.

Here is the set up I run on my 07 R1 for "SPORT touring"

-Heli bars
    -Yamaha gel seat. (rotate with beaded seat on/off every gas stop)
    -Throttlemeiseters
    -Double bubble windscreen
    -heated grips
    -Dual compound sport touring tires
    -Scala rider bluetooth helmet headset/mp3/intercom
    -tank bag with Camelbak built in.
    -Custom Hard Pelican 1430 panniers with a duffel on top. (or your tent, etc)
    -I have a "cigarette ligher" 12v plug under the rear seat that runs into the panniers for charging phones, ipods etc while on the go.

FWIW I'm 6'2" 230lbs.

Pic is at that California/Arizona boarder somewhere.

I really like this setup, looks great!

Thanks!
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

I call fould on Xtreme's pic: There's nowhere NEAR enough bugs on it!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian