Thread: Medal of Honor awarded to the first living recipient since Vietnam

Medal of Honor awarded to the first living recipient since Vietnam

SSG Salvatore Giunta was award the Medal of Honor today. He is the first living recipient since the Vietnam War. I watched a few interviews as well as the ceremony. Very humble guy, definitely someone I'd like to meet at some point in my life.

The first video is an interview with him regarding what happened that day. The second video is of the ceremony.

http://restrepothemovie.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2RWscJM97U

It still amazes me that stuff like this barely makes the news. It is infuriating that bullshit reality TV and whatever else seems to generally take precedence over heroes like this guy and his buddies. You ask the majority of people out there who Salvatore Giunta is and they'll give you a blank stare, but if you ask someone who "The Situation" is or some other idiot, they'll perk right up and give you their entire bio.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Re: Medal of Honor awarded to the first living recipient since Vietnam

It actually popped up on both my homepage news feeds (Reuters and NPR), so don't despair.

Very cool, we could do with more people like him in the world.

Humble indeed. Here's the 60 Minutes story that aired last Sunday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...in;cbsCarousel
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    It actually popped up on both my homepage news feeds (Reuters and NPR), so don't despair.
    Yeah, but nowhere near the amount of recognition that is due to people like this is actually given. Scumbag celebrities are put on this ridiculous pedestal while there are guys out there fighting and dying for us. The Medal of Honor being awarded to anyone is a big deal, let alone someone that is actually still alive.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Read a few articles about this, very excellent. That's the kind of guy I like to see in the military

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Very cool indeed. They don't award those to just anyone like they do with the Nobel Prize. You usually have it awarded after death.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofColorado View Post
    Very cool indeed. They don't award those to just anyone like they do with the Nobel Prize. You usually have it awarded after death.
    Thats the problem. It should not have to be awarded to someone that died. Thats why this one was such a big deal. Don't get me wrong I am in no way taking anything away from this guy. There are many other guys from all branches that deserved this away but received the Silver Star because they were not killed. Congress and top military officials need to get off the high horse and issue the awards that are deserved and not play the rank or death card.

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Read a few articles about this, very excellent. That's the kind of guy I like to see in the military
    Ironically enough, that military is full of men and women just like him. It's nice to see someone get recognized for their valiant actions. I can guarantee that for every story that you hear like this, there are thousands that go unheard and untold. In my eyes, he did what he had to do. Good for him for standing up and taking action. And good for all of the other men and women that have made the same decision to take action. I can only speak for myself: I am forever thankful for my brothers (and sisters) in arms that have gone out and put it on the line.

Semper Fi!
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Humble indeed. Here's the 60 Minutes story that aired last Sunday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...in;cbsCarousel
    I just watched this. I think he summed it all up at the very end:

When the reporter asked him what kind of soldier he thought he is, he replied that he is a mediocre soldier.

Reporter: This is the single greatest honor that the military can bestow on their own and it comes right from the President of the United States himself. That's pretty good for a "mediocre soldier".

<This response is the type of response that defines him>

His response: "Think how good the great soldiers are!"
    www.onthemarcphotography.com