Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Dec. 8th - 17th Annual Harley-Davidson Toy Run

RUE,
    Are you really going to ride on Troy's Fat Boy??
    Why we got ourselves a fatboy or 2 in this crew

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    RUE,
    Are you really going to ride on Troy's Fat Boy??
    Why we got ourselves a fatboy or 2 in this crew
    Well... It's still up in the air. I talked to Troy yesterday about it and if he doesn't have to take his sister..... I got dibs (but I think since I reminded him, he may swing something) . His mom usually has him take his sister.... which is cool by me, she's a sweet little girl.

And his Fatboy.... yummy!

BAD WEATHER THAT DAY??

If there is bad weather that day do we break out the training wheels and sidecars???

Chris

Re: BAD WEATHER THAT DAY??

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coston
    If there is bad weather that day do we break out the training wheels and sidecars???

Chris
    Drive your cage while wearing your helmet and leathers... :wink:

Unless the weather truly and completely SUCKS (and by that I mean enough snow so as to make the roads unrideable safely) the ride will still go. The number of riders will decrease, but it'll still happen. Never underestimate the grittiness of several thousand harley riders who don't want to look like pussies in front of their friends!

It'll be chilly at least in the morning, that's a given. So the only real question is the moisture content in the air that decides to come visit the ground, and whether it will be liquid or solid (if any).

im planing on comming and maybe i can get the girl to take the photos for us... We will have to see. She is truely a FAIR WEATHER Rider. Me on the otherhand as long as there is clear road ill ride.....
    If guns kill people then i can blame my pencil for mis-spelled words!!!! (Larry the cable guy)

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe

Chill factor might be a GOOD thing spidey! Ok now that I've managed to offend the entire female contingency in one post, I'll quit for now. (Hey, we never said this board was politically correct! heh Just gotta keep milehigh from posting p0rn and we'll be ok...)

I've never heard anyone complain about my posts!!!!

Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

There's been a lot of interest in this event from some of the newer members. That's GREAT!!!

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll exceed our expectations for turnout. After all, it is for a good cause!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

FC Bunch got XTRA TOYS

:!: The Fort Collins bunch has xtra toys if anybody wants to help haul them to the Children's Hospital. :!:
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    When/where does this thing start?
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopty
    When/where does this thing start?
    Full details are here:
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/club/calendar.html

We're meeting up at Panera Bread in Highlands Ranch at 8:30AM on Sunday. I think the directions to Panera are on the calendar page. If you intend to ride with the group *make sure* you meet up with us at Panera, once we get in line at the ride staging area you will not be able to park with us... :mrgreen: Look on the photos of last year's ride under the main site at http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/ClubPics/page16.html to get an idea of the sheer mass of people. This year will be bigger...

Re: FC Bunch got XTRA TOYS

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja
    :!: The Fort Collins bunch has xtra toys if anybody wants to help haul them to the Children's Hospital. :!:
    Considering the cuase, I think there'll be a few of us that would be more than happy to help you haul your extra toys to the Children's!

Largest Parade Toy Ride

I've heard they hope to surpass last years 7,500 riders and make a Guinness Book largest parade toy ride.
    Nate
    '07 CBR600RR

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    That would be ALOT of fookin bikes!!!
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

It should be noted there were 7,500 *people* last year, not necessarily 7,500 bikes. A lot of folks were riding two-up. Hell, Harry had 2 people on his! (ok, he had a sidecar, but still...)

And yeah - it's a LOT of bikes! I took the pics of last year for the most part; to get those pictures of the sea of motorcycles, I had to get back at the top of the hill, zoom all the way out, and it still took two frames to get it all in. And those were stacked about 20 deep. You can imagine how long the line gets once you get moving, I think we were 4 across give or take at that point. I'm pretty sure the cops had the streets blocked off along the route for a couple hours at least.

Weather...

Well, we might luck out with the weather for this thing yet.

It will be a chilly ride! Plan for it and dress warm. There will be coffee and donuts at the staging area, and we're all meeting at Panera Bread beforehand anyway, however expect to stand around for a little while before the actual run starts - it takes some time to line up thousands of bikes!

The weather is looking like there might be some snow flurries - that's about it. The storm system(s) affecting this weekend have very little moisture, so there will likely not be enough snow to matter. Mainly it'll just be cloudy and cold. We might luck out too and this thing could blow over us by Sunday, I know Monday is supposed to be nice at this point but both days are too far away to tell for sure. :mrgreen:

Re: Weather

I hope I don't jinx things by saying this...

What I've noticed from weather.com's long-range forecasts, is that any bad weather usually ends up taking longer to get here than originally forecasted. When I checked the forecast last week, they had snow on Saturday and none on Sunday, now Saturday looks decent and the show has moved to Sunday. With any luck, it'll move to Monday by the time the weekend rolls around. :mrgreen:

See y'all bright & early Sunday morning! Bring your Santa hats (or antlers)!

See all the pics from last year's Toy Ride at http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/ClubPics/page16.html

Re: Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    I hope I don't jinx things by saying this...

What I've noticed from weather.com's long-range forecasts, is that any bad weather usually ends up taking longer to get here than originally forecasted. When I checked the forecast last week, they had snow on Saturday and none on Sunday, now Saturday looks decent and the show has moved to Sunday. With any luck, it'll move to Monday by the time the weekend rolls around. :mrgreen:
    Hint: TWC and Weather.com sucks.

A lot. :mrgreen:

It used to be good but especially lately, it's a lot of fluffy crap. Try http://weather.gov for the NWS stuff, or http://weather.unisys.com for a more "weather geeky" site. FWIW I use both of these (among others) for forecasting storm chases and such, as well as winter activities. Even 9news is usually pretty close, though they tend to pull from the NWS forecasts a lot and just modify them for prime time.

I suspect the forecast will change between now and then, it's only Wed. Probably for the better, if I had to guess.

Why don't we come up with a contingency plan in case the weather is too foul to ride. I believe RMHD is planning doing this regardless of the weather. We may want to plan on driving in case it's 30 degrees and snowing.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Well, I mean if there is slush and ice on the road, I won't be riding for one. Will still like to ride, maybe we can all meet up at Panera at the normal time in that case and just cruise to Children's, and watch the bikes come in?

By foul weather my interpretation is hazardous conditions. It will be cold. And I even expect a few snow flurries, but those will probably be dry if that's the case, so they won't affect the road conditions. However if the roads truly suck to where I don't want to risk it, I'll bring the 4runner.

Like spidey said tho, this thing will probably (hopefully) blow over us by then. Last year was great weather so I'm hopeful for this year.

http://weather.unisys.com/forecast.cgi?KDEN

Keep your leathers crossed ... it's now sunny and in the 40's forecast for Sunday with only a slight chance for snow Saturday night. If the trend keeps up we should be under sunshine on a nice chilly Sunday morning! (Don't worry, Panera has a fireplace for warming up before the ride... )

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

1998 Westword Article

From a 1998 Westword Article:

Rebels with a cause: The roar of Broncomaniacs in Mile High Stadium pales compared to the thunder of the Rocky Mountain Harley Owners Group and its annual Toy Run to Children's Hospital. Each year this perception-shattering biker roundup touches the hearts and ears of youngsters under doctors' care as the parade's 400-plus leather-clad riders roll in with decibels and presents. The 1998 gift ride takes place today, and this year the HOGs are inviting riders of all makes and models to join in on the goodwill, auto drivers included. In addition to gifts for young patients, the Toy Run provides money for the hospital's trademark red-wagon gurneys, along with funds for cable television, computers, VCRs and videotapes for its beneficiaries. Witnessing the arrival of this unique procession of two-wheelin' elves is an unforgettable holiday moment.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

That was nice. Thanks for posting it!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Just wanna throw a shout-out there, to our 1 and only Harry Biker for antying up and loaning me a rig to twist out there with all you folks.

My Rwhizzy is still on bed-rest, so this is a life saver. Now I just gotta go buy a toy!! =)

See all you hard core types out there tomorrow!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Re: FC Bunch got XTRA TOYS

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja
    Considering the cuase, I think there'll be a few of us that would be more than happy to help you haul your extra toys to the Children's!
    Whatever happened with this?