Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moab - Good idea or bad idea?

Re: Moab - Good idea or bad idea?

Damn that sux!
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Def going in the spring but it'll be MTB instead of moto.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Mother
    Of
    All
    Biklng

I have been going to this area since dirt bikes still had twin rear shocks.
    I agree that it is probably top three in my book to ride dirt.
    It's south Utah is top five for sportouring. Nothing quite like coming down thru the pines and aspens at double the posted and bam, hit the desert canyons in less than 15 minutes, very extrodinary. I would be willing to lead an expert crew on my secert-squirrel backway from Moab over to Ray's Bar in Green River for a burger and then back to Moab. Lots of stuff from fast desert single track to enless sand washes to slickrock trails and there is even a old enduro loop out north east of Whitewash. Not for the faintharted, squimish, bulletproof, whiney, folks who cant change thier own tire trailside. Say when and I'll prep the bike and head that way.
    Basher
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:49 PM.

ummm that would be 2011, or did I miss something

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:49 PM.

MOAB is ALWAYS a great idea!
    [B] "Fear is hesitation, and hesitation can make all your worst fears come true."

how are the actual paved roads? any nice twisties or canyon type roads close by? I was thinking about going down during jeep week and just riding my bike while all my friends do the jeep crawl stuff then come back at night for the parties?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Go read the Ride Reports page, that should get you through until May.
    of 2027.....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Bumping an old thread. OK, we're gonna do it. But a few more questions. How is it at the end of Feb / early March? I want to hit it before high season for cheaper rates and fewer Jeeps. We're trailering so no worries about snow unless I-70 closes. Looking to camp near town, KOA or someplace with hookups and internet since I'll try to do some work in between riding. ANy recommendations?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Bumping an old thread. OK, we're gonna do it. But a few more questions. How is it at the end of Feb / early March? I want to hit it before high season for cheaper rates and fewer Jeeps. We're trailering so no worries about snow unless I-70 closes. Looking to camp near town, KOA or someplace with hookups and internet since I'll try to do some work in between riding. ANy recommendations?
    It's still can be pretty cold 50's, and if it's windy, it really sucks. April/May are a lot better weather wise.
    There is a huge KOA/campground 1mile south of the town. Not sure if they have internet or not.

The KOA is pretty decent, I have stayed in it a few times. RV and tent. Yes they have wifi.

Thread title needs to be changed..."Moab - Good idea or Friggen awesome idea?

February will be a crap shoot. Could be absolutely perfect riding weather in the upper 50's or low 60's, or a full on winter blizzard or anything in between. I'd go though, chances of good weather are better than bad. Make sure you have a good heater. It will be below freezing at night. Be aware that we refer to the KOA as the Campground Nazis. They can be pretty uptight about any shenanigans, even in the mildest form. Better have the campfire doused and sleeping quietly by 10:00. And no vehicle repairs going on, etc. Jeeps aren't an issue unless you're there during Jeep Safari. Otherwise they're outnumbered by pretty much everyone else, especially side x sides as of late, whose numbers have exploded over the last 2 or 3 years.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Don't waste your time at the KOA. Head up the hill to the Sandflats Campround, near the slick rock trail head. Best place in town to camp, and the view to the Lasals is amazing.

We go to Moab 2-3 times a year to mtn bike and dirt bike. One my favorite dirt bike trails, thats not too technical, is out to Chicken Corners. Along the way to go over a pass that looks out across the white rim......AMAAAAZING! Also, we do the White Rim trail everytime we go as well. It's about 160miles from gas station back to the same gas station in town (we head out past the pot ash plant and return via Mineal Bottom Road).

I've traveled all over the world, and Moab is still my favorite place to return to...... I could spend hours dreaming about all the cool shit there is to do there. And that's not even mentioning the mtn biking.....whowa.
    2011 KTM 690 Enduro (w/ SuMo Setup)
    2008 Honda CBR600RR Graffiti
    2002 DRZ400E

We can ride to the views, but we need a pull through site for they toy hauler plus friends in other toy haulers. So we're probably staying at an RV park. I'm also thinking Chicken Corners, Onion Creek, Monitor/Merrimack, Klondike Bluffs as good newbie dirt trails.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Hell's Revenge and Golden Spike are our favorites. Golden Spike is actually Poison Spider Mesa then Golden Spike then Gold Bar Rim to get out. It is awesome!!!

Wheeled Moab for over ten years before we started riding out there. The dunes in Green River are pretty cool, too...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

[QUOTE=mathman1000;751263]Don't waste your time at the KOA. Head up the hill to the Sandflats Campround, near the slick rock trail head. Best place in town to camp, and the view to the Lasals is amazing.QUOTE]

I was chking out some reviews in regards to Sandflats. i will be heading out after the big jeep wk-end. So hopefully i can get a site in either A or B.