Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kicked firstbank to the curb,,, where to go from here?

kicked firstbank to the curb,,, where to go from here?

I am looking for input on where to take my money and keep it. I got a $31 overdraft fee and firstbank will not let me use my savings acct as an overdraft protection source, they wouldnt reimburse a 16 year customer + they've never been that good to me when loan shopping. Where do you bank & why?
    Thank you-

Re: kicked firstbank to the curb,,, where to go from here?

US Bank, which what they have become after several incarnations since I started with Bank Western back in the day.
    Why? Because they haven't pissed me off enough in the past to drop them, although it's been close a couple of times.

I switched from USBank to a credit union 8 years ago and couldn't be happier.

They've always been really easy to deal with. One example, they sat on the loan paper work for my Buell for a month so I got a $50 fine for late registration from the DMV when I plated it. I went back to the credit union and they cut me a check for the money on the spot. Let's see USBank do that.

Anyways, I don't know about your eligibility, but if you have access to one, seriously look into credit unions.

BTW, I'm with Addison Avenue Credit Union. One of the things I like most are free atm usage at all 7-11s. I haven't had to pay for an ATM in years.
    Last edited by salsashark; Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Two different credit unions. Credit Union of Denver for about 8 years and Members Federal Credit Union (formerly Aurora Federal Credit Union) for about 30 years.

At USBank too. Been there for years. Wife switched from Wells Fargo to USBank when they pissed her off. Convenient King Soopers locations.

I also continue to have a checking account with my childhood bank back in MN. Direct deposit, cash card. Keep half my money between two banks to prevent catastrophe from ID theft or other issues.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Bank of the West for me and I would recommend them. While they are a large bank they maintain the small bank, personal feel within the branches.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

+1 us bank. They have always taken care of my wife and I. We can use any branch and the big one on the corner of wads and bowles the managers come out and greet us by name. To me that means a lot. Great customer service.
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

Ent Federal Credit Union in the Springs here is pretty good. I think they're starting to open up branches all over the state too. They've been good about reimbursing overdraft fees when I screw up and get the money back into the bank first thing. Really good on loans. I'd like to see a bank offer a fixed 4.5% interest rate on a car to a 20 year old.

I'll never ever bank with Wells Fargo again.

Im leaning towards a cu. def heard good things aboot US but like the "personal" feeling + having at least a say in what happens to my $$$ vs taking it in the leather cheerio!

whatever ya decide, still a good idea to "spread the wealth"

Have multiple accounts spread with different institutions. eggs one basket....

Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

So far I've fired firstbank, USbank, TCFbank, and wells fargo. Currently with chase and a credit union back home.
    RIP Sgt. Travis D. Pfister. 79-07 I miss you brother.

Just my .2 cents. I had Firstbank when I was living in Colorado. I was the perfect customer the entire 3+ years I was with them. I had my military pay direct deposited into my military checking account, never overdrawn, etc. They offered my a credit card one day and I opted to get it. Worst mistake EVER! The credit card started out with 7.9% APR, and I had a small balance on it for about a year that I paid on monthly (roughly 10% of my credit limit). Well, one day I was deployed and still making my monthly payments via transfers online from my checking to credit card account. Well, during my deployment, there was a computer glitch and my auto transfer didn't go through before the due date for my credit card bill. I happened to catch that the funds didn't transfer a couple of days later so I manually transferred the funds via internet. Well wouldn't you believe that my next credit card statement shot from 7.9% APR to 29.9% APR just for being a couple of days late on my credit card payment, even though it wasn't MY fault but the networks fault! I tried to work with customer service to rememdy the situation, but they weren't willing to budge and change my APR back and wave the late fee. So now I was stuck with a shytty 29.9% APR credit card. Pissed, I paid of the balance of my credit card, shut down my checking account, and transferred my business to USAA bank, and Chase for local check cashing, savings, etc. So long story short, F*#k Firstbank...
    Last edited by (( LO LO )); Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 06:50 PM.
    2014 Ducati Hypermotard 821
    2015 HD FLHXS

CSC co-founder

That's nothing... I walked over 16K in cash over to Bank 1 to purchase a house. Well, over a month later I got a call from the escrow company...

We have to contact the owner & they can legally cancel the deal & keep your deposit!!!

So once I got home from just a couple days @ my new career... I spent over 2 hours on the phone w/ Bank 1. After talking w/ many people (circle jerk), they told me not to worrry.

My responsed, as I was documenting EVERYTHING!!!....

You're right, because if I loose the house & my deposit Bank 1 will be purchasing my next house! That finally sparked some help!!!!

Let's just say I was given about $800 in Best Buy gift cards from them. Even that I had to follow up from a stupid B1 person!!!!!!

Wells Fargo hasn't F'd it up yet. Even though I am SO TIRED of them asking me to go paperless every time I log into my account or go to the teller. I've asked them over & over to quit asking!!
    PHX, AZ

Chase Bank, they reimbursed us when determined that it was the fault of a bad online retailer and another occasion where the wife had her purse stolen! We dropped USBank and Wells Fargo for very poor Customer Service! plus we have Free online backing and free checks for life, but I think that was a short promotion they had three years ago! But I also hear that these days you might be better off with a Credit Union, my mother has never had issues with Bellco, she been with them for as long as I can remember.
    Last edited by DemonRider; Wed Nov 24th, 2010 at 05:25 AM.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

I've been with Westerra CU formerly Safeway for 8 years now. I like the fact that there are several partnered CU service centers I can make deposits, withdraw money, and free ATM service. Overall I am satisfied with Westerra and plan to continue banking with them for many more years.

navy fed cu for me. they only have 1 location in denver, but great rates on loans and savings. only catch is new members need military affiliation. they exclude coast guard for some reason.

I'm amazed no one has mentioned INGDirect so far. INGDirect is the best bank BY FAR that I've ever dealt with, and as an investment professional, I deal with them all.

ING Direct
    Pros:
    Super easy website
    NO FEES - ever (that I've encountered) they've even gone way out of their way to avoid federal fees for me when I screwed up.
    Way better rates than virtually any other bank
    Awesome customer service
    ATM's everywhere
    They do everything the way you would want them to. They even translate all the legal jargon into layman's terms for you.

Cons:
    no brick n mortar locations in CO

As far as credit unions are concerned - Bellco is one of the better ones, Denver Credit Union is one of the worst. (although neither can hold a candle to ING)

If you are sick of fees and hidden charges, AVOID:
    Wells-Fargo
    Ally(these guys are the worst hypocrites) - formerly GMAC
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    I'm amazed no one has mentioned INGDirect so far. INGDirect is the best bank BY FAR that I've ever dealt with, and as an investment professional, I deal with them all.

ING Direct
    Pros:
    Super easy website
    NO FEES - ever (that I've encountered) they've even gone way out of their way to avoid federal fees for me when I screwed up.
    Way better rates than virtually any other bank
    Awesome customer service
    ATM's everywhere
    They do everything the way you would want them to. They even translate all the legal jargon into layman's terms for you.

Cons:
    no brick n mortar locations in CO

As far as credit unions are concerned - Bellco is one of the better ones, Denver Credit Union is one of the worst. (although neither can hold a candle to ING)

If you are sick of fees and hidden charges, AVOID:
    Wells-Fargo
    Ally(these guys are the worst hypocrites) - formerly GMAC
    Oh yeah, we have an ING direct account too. VERY nice.

We just switched from Wells Fargo to Elevations CU.
    tired of all the fees to do anything and after being with them for over 20 years they still wont do anything for me.
    the CU already is way more helpful and easy going.
    I should have changed 20 yrs ago. it would have saved me a few headaches.
    Tom
    2003 SuperHawk

Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Ent Federal Credit Union in the Springs here is pretty good. I think they're starting to open up branches all over the state too. They've been good about reimbursing overdraft fees when I screw up and get the money back into the bank first thing. Really good on loans. I'd like to see a bank offer a fixed 4.5% interest rate on a car to a 20 year old.

I'll never ever bank with Wells Fargo again.
    +1 on Ent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    We just switched from Wells Fargo to Elevations CU.
    tired of all the fees to do anything and after being with them for over 20 years they still wont do anything for me.
    the CU already is way more helpful and easy going.
    I should have changed 20 yrs ago. it would have saved me a few headaches.
    +1

I've been with Elevations CU since 1986 (back when they were U of C Credit Union). They've always been fair and have great rates on loans.

Wells Fargo, Capital One, and FirstBank can kiss my ass.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Same story as most everyone with Wells Fargo...shitty service and hidden fees.
    I'm now with USAA and Pentagon Federal Credit Union, but like others stated you need military affilitation.
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Vess View Post
    I've been with Elevations CU since 1986 (back when they were U of C Credit Union). They've always been fair and have great rates on loans.
    I just switched from Elevations. They were good to deal with but the locations are a pain in the ass unless you are in Boulder, which I no longer am. I just moved to Chase, we'll see how it goes.

Well it looks like ps & bellco cu's offer the most of what I am looking for. Now how to decide between these two????