Thread: Geek Squad...what are your opinions about them?

Geek Squad...what are your opinions about them?

Mainly because I'm looking at maybe getting a part-time job there while I'm in school.

What are your opinions about them? Anything from personal experience of their services or your judgement of their expertise.

Thanks
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

Re: Geek Squad...what are your opinions about them?

i worked at best buy very briefly (not geek squad) and my mother has had them work on her system at one point. i don't like the way i've seen them treat customers, i don't think they have enough training and know-how to rightly charge the rates that they do, and they have given my mother bad advice on a few occasions.

might be an ok place to work part time, but I wouldn't say there's much of a future in it.
    Last edited by chanke4252; Wed Dec 15th, 2010 at 03:39 AM.
    Excessively long poster.

They're some outside company who are just contracted. They have a bunch of pay grades based on qualifications and etc. Basically, unless you're a senior tech, you have no say in anything and make like $12/hour. On site guys make a little more. While a job is a job, especially in school, I might work there if it came down to it, especially if I knew it weren't permanent, but honestly I think the place is a bit of a scam. Their basic diagnostic fee is something like $120, before they even start fixing anything. So, I basically agree with chanke, a job is a job, but the Geek Squad is likely not going to make a decent career choice.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Senior Member Yearly Supporter gtn's Avatar

Every time I've purchased any sort of computer related item at Best Buy they try to sell me some sort of Geek Squad service. When I tell them I'm in IT and don't need any help, the person I'm talking to always immediately hits me up for a job. Interpret this how you wish.
    Gary
    08 CBR1000rr - Candy Dark Red/Metallic Silver

The geek squad is legal rape. They charge such astronomical fees and use the oldest computer diagnostic techniques.

While I think it would be a decent place to work at, I would never hire them.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

My wife hired them to come setup our home network. The guy we got was very courteious, seem to know what he was doing, and got everything hooked up (2 laptops, wireless printer, router, etc.) in about an hour for @$100 dollars. He even cleaned out new laptops (both purchased at Best Buy) for free (something they charge over $100 at the store).

The guy was quick, did over and beyond what he needed to do, and to this day I can print anything I need naked on the toilet
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

The geek squad is for those starting out, or for those that can't get a real IT job... From a consumer standpoint, any time anyone asks me if geek squad is good for support, I tell them no. You are generally overcharged for someone who doesn't have the experience you are paying for. It's amazing how often I'll let one of these guys ramble on about something til they get it wrong, and when I correct them, *DEER IN HEADLIGHTS*.

I can't take them seriously, but then again I've been doing IT work since I was 15. As a little part timer, I don't see why not.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I mootlighted at Circuit City for seasonal years ago, i just played along, didnt say too much and didnt oversell, of course i wasnt kept on after the Christmas rush but it was easy pay and i got great deals on stuff.....its not currently listed on my resume
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

I hear that the Geek Squad is a CIA front. Or is that the Nerd Herd at the Buy More? I always get those mixed up.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Can't say as to working experience, but I hated dealing with them when I was helping my mom by a computer. One of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

As is with almost every tech job, it's about the people. I'd say go for it! Learn from the people that aren't tools, and avoid the ones that are. People will have good and bad experiences with Geek Squad. If it will get you money and experience it can't be a bad thing!

Somewhat on a tangent, but what is your major while at school? If in any Comp Sci or related field you may want to just consider trying to work for the school you are at. More interesting people and better depth of learning. If just wanting to get your geek on and make some cash, sounds like working Tech at a retail outlet sounds decent.

Computer science. My most recent job was an internship of sorts at a small local software development company. It was a great job, but the pay sucked. From what I understand, geek squad starts at around 11/hr. where i worked before paid 8.
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

It's a job, it pays money, and in todays economy that puts you well ahead of a lot of people.
    Working in the tech industry, I will tell you that you should not expect any kind of "expertise" to come out of working for Geek Squad and that most reputable tech companies will probably laugh if they see it on your resume down the road.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    I can print anything I need naked on the toilet
    well worth it!

They installed a car stereo in my wife's car. Buying the stereo at Best Buy gave us a discount for having them install it. It seemed like it was worth the money (maybe $50). The person doing the work was extremely capable and completed the work easily. No complaints there.

I wouldn't even think of hiring them to do any thing else.

As a student, what do you really care? After graduating nobody is going to care what kind of jobs you had to get you through school. I pumped gas, worked for a plumber, unloaded moving vans, whatever brought in some cash.