Thread: Ben Spies' new sumo

Ben Spies' new sumo

I would do some disgusting things to get a chance to ride this thing.

"Yamaha gave them a brand new WR450 offroad bike to kick things off with and Roland Sands decided to turn it into an “asphalt ripping, supermoto weapon” for Ben Spies.
    Sands also gained access to the Yamaha race department for the build and commissioned, esteemed engine tech, Bob Oliver to giving the restricted engine some more power.
    The GYTR cylinder head, cams, K&N air filter and re-worked carburetion were done to really wake up the power delivery on this machine. Trevor Kemp, marketing manager for Yamaha’s GYTR accessory program, hooked up Sands with every bolt-on product they could throw at this bike. From the exhaust system to hand guards to all the little billet oil plugs and Lightspeed carbon fiber bits.
    Roland himself came up with the GP-inspired blue burst scheme and ZLT printed it for him.
    Race Tech provided the suspension and installed Gold Valves and re-springing the front and rear and Sands is confident Spies will enjoy how the bike handles.
    A problem was hit when it was discovered SDG don’t make a stock replacement WR seat, but they cut one down to make a custom step seat and covered it with their sticky kevlar traction.
    The front Brembo brakes were supplied by Yamaha’s race department, they happened to have a ’spare’. Sands then used a caliper bracket from QTM to install the Brembo in place.
    Whilst down at QTM, Sands spotted some Talon pegs, so they where taken and installed along with a set of Easton EXP handlebars, risers and grips.
    The wheels are from Performance Machine and are custom versions of the race-weight Assault wheels finished in Roland Sands own Black Ops finish, with Dunlop tyres.
    The medium compound (6680) D211GP up front and D209GP out back are, in Sands own words, “sure going to keep ol’ “Elbows” hooked up”."

Re: Ben Spies' new sumo

drool. Exactly what I want to do.

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Those swept ten spokes are sick in that satin black. Subtle, yet sophisticated.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

It's cool, but I just feel like they threw some parts and powder at it and didn't REALLY hit the details. I dunno...would def be cool to ride.

Pretty badass!
    2006 Triumph Daytona 675-Track Only For Me!

I don't know, is this a street tard or track? Why not use the new YZF platform for max performance. The stock WR headlight looks a little out of place with all the graphic bling.
    It would be an awesome street machine though.

^My question exactly. Obviously Yamaha USA had some extra WR's to hand out. One of many head scratchers about the bike.