So my 6 month old dell with win 7 was coming up on the renewal for the Kapersky virus software it came with. Decided to go the Norton 360 route.

BIG mistake, HUGE! the machine slowed down to pre XT speed, nothing worked. I was running a scan (with fricken Norton 360) figuring OK you got whacked with something

Phone rang, guy ID'ed himself (massive indian accent) as calling from MS. said my machine was pinging them with hundreds of errors a minute. Weird huh?

So, in a sense of wonder, I allowed him access to my computer via an internet site, he showed me a security log with over 3200 errors and warnings in just a few hours.; Said it was Norton 360.

THEN the big sales spiel, I could get MS WIN ULTIMA for just $240 dollars, and it would take care of everything!

And that's when common sense kicked in and I bailed. Thanks him, wished him merry XMas and then pulled the plug on the router killing the connection.

Talked with a buddy, who confirmed the disdain for Norton, deleted Norton,loads MS security essentials, turned on a firewall, loaded malewarebytes, cleaned up some adware crap, and now the puter is fine

Does anyone have any idea if the Windows ULTIMA call was legit? Did I fall for a scam, just what the heck is going on here?

inquiring minds want to know