Thread: Animal repellent

Animal repellent

Thought I would share what I found at Home Depot today, since animals chewing on cars in CO is a big problem.

I have a huge rabbit problem at my house, and they've chewed on my car. I went to home depot to look for moth balls, and found this instead. It smells like shit but supposedly when it dries, the smell isn't noticeable to humans. I sprayed it all over the front part of my house. We'll see how it works.

Home depot also had repellent for every other kind of animal too.

On my toes! Lifetime Supporter PunyJuney's Avatar

Re: Animal repellent

We've used that same one on our plants, they ignore it and keep on chewing.

well shit

what do you use now?

They sell wolf/coyote/bear piss. From what I hear that tends to work really well.
    Also not really noticeable to humans after it dries.

predator stuff, get someone with a big dog to pee all around your perimeter and then brush it so there's lots of hair. We gave up on the plants and have used all weather "baits" in the bushes to keep the population at bay. The odd varmint goes out with the trash once in a while.

MV Agusta F4 Brutale 1078rr
    2012 CBR1000rr Anniversary Edition

"keep your words soft and sweet as one day you may have to eat them" -Chuck

I don't think there's a full proof repellent on the market. I've tried several and the war against the squirrels goes on.

My most recent attempt was in the form of Predator Bomb... Fox Urine. It works until the squirrels realize that there's not actually a fox around, then they dance the jig of joy in my attic once again. I hate them so much.

Juney, more info on the bait your using please!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    I don't think there's a full proof repellent on the market. I've tried several and the war against the squirrels goes on.

My most recent attempt was in the form of Predator Bomb... Fox Urine. It works until the squirrels realize that there's not actually a fox around, then they dance the jig of joy in my attic once again. I hate them so much.

Juney, more info on the bait your using please!
    If they're in your attic, don't bait them. I used decon when the squirrels were in my attic and at first it seemed to work. Then they started dieing in the attic in places that I couldn't get to them and I had to cut holes in my vaulted ceiling to get them out.

Out of desperation, I bought a 1,000f.p.s. pellet gun and started dropping them. After a few weeks and seven of them had bit the dust, the rest of the population (I live on a large green belt) was afraid of my yard and stayed clear. I cut down the trees against my house and put on a new roof. Now, 2 1/2 years later, they are back all over my yard. They stay away from the house, so I haven't done anything... yet...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Dogs work great too..

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post
    Dogs work great too..
    Not at my house. Had a dog for nine of the eleven years we've lived here. They would just hang in the trees until he came inside.
    Kim & Dean

Well, I just put a new roof on but they went in through the vents. So, the next step is to pull the roof vents and put down steel wire mesh underneath. I wasn't planning on poisoning them inside the attic, but I wouldn't mind a scorched earth approach to my yard...

As for the dog... if squirrels looked like tennis balls, my dog would have killed everyone of them. That's about the extent of her predatory instinct.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

I was on the phone with my wife yesterday and she told me a rather funny story about our dog and a squirrel.

The dog was out in the back yard running in circles. He does this sometimes, just hauls a** in circles, workin up a sweat. Anyway, she opens the back door and he comes flying into the house, tail tucked and everything. She looks up there's a big squirrel in the yard, hot on his tail. The squirrel bailed before the door.

Here's a pic, he's almost an 80 lb labrador, and scared to death of squirrels...
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

^^ maybe it's a lab thing because mine would probably do the same thing...

I agree with everyone, don't kill them in the house.
    We had something scrabbling up our drain pipes and running around in between the roof tiles (they're the big cement kind) making all kinds of noise especially at night. I used "Real Kill, all weather baits" outside near any crack or drain entrance and added a layer of chicken wire over the ends of the downspouts. The neighbors call them 'roof rats'. I call them dead, because all is quiet now and has been for about a year. I put about 20 of these little cubes out whenever there is a resurgence of tiny little burrow holes. You have to be careful to put them deep in the shrubs or into the holes so that the rabbits and pets don't get them. We have voles that run under the snow and leave trails all over our front lawn, and you shove these in the dirt where there are obvious signs of traffic and they seem to work on them too. I get them from Home Depot.

...I wasn't planning on poisoning them inside the attic, but I wouldn't mind a scorched earth approach to my yard...
    Quote Originally Posted by PunyJuney View Post
    I agree with everyone, don't kill them in the house.
    I used Decon because it's supposed to make them leave and search for water, so they die outside. The first two died outside. The second two died in areas I could get to. The last two died and I had to cut holes.
    Kim & Dean

wow, our border collies kept the yard free and clear. I guess whatever works, eh?

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Here's a pic, he's almost an 80 lb labrador, and scared to death of squirrels...
    ^^ maybe it's a lab thing because mine would probably do the same thing...
    You guys need a Peke:

He's 19 pounds and thinks he's 200. I've watched him chase Boxers and Golden Retrievers out of the yard.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Maybe, but I don't think he'd be too happy when I tossed him up into the attic

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Maybe, but I don't think he'd be too happy when I tossed him up into the attic
    I don't know. He seems to abandon all sense when he sees a squirrel. All I have to do is say "squirrel" and he bolts out the doggy door.

The interesting thing is that my female Peke is the one with the real hunting instincts. She has a distinctive bark when she's found something and wants me to come look at it. In fact, she probably found the snake in the pic above and Jupiter just came over and grabbed it.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson