Thread: Shinko Tires

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Shinko Tires

I needed some tires to take me to Mexico and back on my new to me KLR.
    I saw a Shinko 705 on the rack at the local motorcycle store and couldn't belive the price, right @ $50. This is a 80/20 tire, 80% street use and 20% dirt use. I mounted the rear up with a stock Dunlop 750 on the front and went on a little test loop to see how they performed. After 50 street miles up to Deckers on the pavement I was inpressed with thier quick turn-in, stability, and no grip issues, even though the road was frozen and mag clorided. I turned off at the backroad to take me back to Lake George. This forest service road has a little of everything, from loose gravel to hardpack to rock. Tight turns start the road and after it crests they open up to faster sections. I can honestly say these hook up just as well as some dedicated dirt tires. They slide predictably with no funny business. Research tells me they will go 5000 miles, and if so I will buy them till they stop making them. There has been reports of some delaminating of the tread but it seems those tires are now out of the market and replaced with new, non-shredding units. You DS and Sumo riders should check them out, cause @ $50-60 for a rear it's a bargin. YMMV
    Later,
    Basher
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Re: Shinko Tires

I've heard good things about Shinko's. The 705's looked good for road but i wondered how they would do in the dirt. Everybody praises Mefo, but they are a little pricey. Especially for KLR owners!

Re: Shinko Tires

Here’s a really long thread about them, and a number of other DS tires.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443226
    John
    KTM Duke 690