Thread: Got ripped off by a locksmith

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Got ripped off by a locksmith

Last month was warm enough that we actually got to take the boat out for the first time in November. When Kim went to get the truck to pull me out of the water, she realized that she had lost the keys. After an hour of searching EVERYWHERE, she called a locksmith. Mega Locksmith out of the Yellow Pages.

The dude shows up and says it will be $290! I shit a brick! He said it was expensive because my truck uses an "electronic" key that has to be programmed and then the truck has to be programmed to accept the key. I told him that my truck (2005 F-250) uses no such system. He said I was wrong and we went back and forth a few times. When it came down to it, I had no choice as it was getting dark and very cold. He made the key and had the truck started in about five minutes. I said, "that was fast, I'm gonna go get the boat." He said, "hold on, I have to program the key and truck or it will shut off in a few minutes". It takes him twenty minutes to program the key and then he hooked up a computer to my diagnostic port and said it will take about half an hour to program the truck. He hooked up the computer and closed the truck door and we shot the shit for about a half an hour. We paid him and every thing was good.

Anyway, this event really started to bother me, so I went down to Courtesy Ford and they confirmed that I was right. My truck does not use an electronic key. It uses your everyday $3 key.

I've been leaving messages with the locksmith for two weeks. They won't return my calls and they are not a member of the BBB. Even their website doesn't work. What are some options?...

Oh yeah, the real shitter is that when we got the boat home and pulled one of our bags off the boat, the original keys fell out of the bag. WTF!
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Thu Dec 30th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M