Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got ripped off by a locksmith

Got ripped off by a locksmith

Last month was warm enough that we actually got to take the boat out for the first time in November. When Kim went to get the truck to pull me out of the water, she realized that she had lost the keys. After an hour of searching EVERYWHERE, she called a locksmith. Mega Locksmith out of the Yellow Pages.

The dude shows up and says it will be $290! I shit a brick! He said it was expensive because my truck uses an "electronic" key that has to be programmed and then the truck has to be programmed to accept the key. I told him that my truck (2005 F-250) uses no such system. He said I was wrong and we went back and forth a few times. When it came down to it, I had no choice as it was getting dark and very cold. He made the key and had the truck started in about five minutes. I said, "that was fast, I'm gonna go get the boat." He said, "hold on, I have to program the key and truck or it will shut off in a few minutes". It takes him twenty minutes to program the key and then he hooked up a computer to my diagnostic port and said it will take about half an hour to program the truck. He hooked up the computer and closed the truck door and we shot the shit for about a half an hour. We paid him and every thing was good.

Anyway, this event really started to bother me, so I went down to Courtesy Ford and they confirmed that I was right. My truck does not use an electronic key. It uses your everyday $3 key.

I've been leaving messages with the locksmith for two weeks. They won't return my calls and they are not a member of the BBB. Even their website doesn't work. What are some options?...

Oh yeah, the real shitter is that when we got the boat home and pulled one of our bags off the boat, the original keys fell out of the bag. WTF!
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Thu Dec 30th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: Got ripped off by a locksmith

I'd report the business to the BBB for starters. But if that's the kinda shit they guy pulls he's probably out of business anyway.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

cash, check or credit card?

If cash... tough luck, they're gone.

If check... probably with this much time lapsed, it's cleared and it's like cash

If CC... maybe dispute the charge? I don't know... maybe call the scumbag Tom Martino or submit your story to every news site?

I do know that my 2002 Dodge does have those keys. My dad had a copy made while they had my truck and it did exactly what the locksmith told you. unlocked doors, started the vehicle, then killed it. I didn't even know it had them.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Not to, uh, burst your bubble or otherwise detract from your original statement, but that price really isn't *that* ridiculous. Call around a bit, and I bet you get quoted something similar, if not quite as high.

I used to work Valet at a Hyatt, and on occasion we would have to call a locksmith to open doors for whatever reason, and $180-200+ was actually typical, even if all they did was pop the door and NOT make a new key.

What those guys pulled was definitely shady, but at least from my experience that price wasn't totally out of the ballpark.

*edit*
    For the Dodge, my old 2002 Ram and my wife's 2005, the dealer wants $125+ to cut and program a new key. Getting emergency roadside service for the same definitely isn't going to be any cheaper.
    Last edited by Sarge; Thu Dec 30th, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

damn that sucks!!
    Had to use a lock smith this summer quoted me 35.00 over the phone...went went them cause they were the cheapest. When they showed up the said was 80.00 cash only. I called the office while the guys was there gave me the same price of 35.00, then asked to talk to his employee and told him to charge me the 80.00 cause he never said 35.00!

What pricks!
    Sorry to hear Dean

"Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful, hate me because I'm better than you, better yet, hate me because I'm fuckin bad ass!!!"

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

should have used a RockSmith instead...sorry i have nothing better to add to this.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

I just saw a story on Fox news the other night about this type of crap. They said locksmiths will often say one price, then tell you another after they've unlocked your vehicle. As for the chip thing, any vehicle that uses a chip CANNOT run for more than a few seconds, if at all, without it being programmed to the car. My car won't start at all without the chip. Some older Chevy's used a resistor in the key that would be checked after the engine was started. If it wasn't the right resistance, the engine would die after about 5 seconds.

You totally got ripped off. And what's funny is that the guy actually sat there and made you wait while he was doing absolutely nothing. That shit makes me sick.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Too funny!!! I post my horse shit on CSC and go to take a shower. The phone rings. It's the locksmith. They are now investigating.

Ford started the programmable keys on the Super Duty in 2008. My truck is a 2005. Can't wait to hear what they find...
    Kim & Dean

my '06 dodge uses the coded key. $60 for the key, $90 for programming, and that's all at the stealership and not including any kind of trip charge.

However, as you say, Ford said your key doesn't have chip - there was a recent news piece done on locksmith scams. I'll see if I can find it.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

locksmith scam
    http://www.kdvr.com/kdvr-locksmith-s...,6537373.story

maybe if you had some religion, this shit wouldn't happen to you?
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I just saw a story on Fox news the other night about this type of crap. They said locksmiths will often say one price, then tell you another after they've unlocked your vehicle. As for the chip thing, any vehicle that uses a chip CANNOT run for more than a few seconds, if at all, without it being programmed to the car. My car won't start at all without the chip. Some older Chevy's used a resistor in the key that would be checked after the engine was started. If it wasn't the right resistance, the engine would die after about 5 seconds.
    My '91 Camaro had that system.

You totally got ripped off. And what's funny is that the guy actually sat there and made you wait while he was doing absolutely nothing. That shit makes me sick.
    That's why I'm so adamant about getting something done. I told the guy when he showed up that my truck doesn't use a programmable key. I'm wondering if there is any chance of him capturing any info,when he hooked up his computer, that can make the truck easier to steel. Or, was it all just show to make me think he was right and I was wrong.
    Kim & Dean

I'd contact the Colorado Attorney Generals office. The BBB isn't going to do shit for you.
    CEO, Angry Marmot Motorsports
    07 Passion Red Kawi 650R

I am thinking AAA would be good to have in these type of situations. I guess a good way to confirm is to have another key made $3 or whatever it costs and see if that key starts your vehicle. And +1 if you have a check stub/credit card/reciept information you can fall back on if you did get ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    locksmith scam

So, I can attribute all of my problems to not having religion? I assume you live a problem free life?...

Don't stand too close to me, watch for that lightning bolt!!!
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    My '91 Camaro had that system.

That's why I'm so adamant about getting something done. I told the guy when he showed up that my truck doesn't use a programmable key. I'm wondering if there is any chance of him capturing any info,when he hooked up his computer, that can make the truck easier to steel. Or, was it all just show to make me think he was right and I was wrong.
    I think he was just trying to show you he was right, even though he wasn't. So he could charge you the extra arm and leg
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

locksmith scam

Fuck religion
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

So, I can attribute all of my problems to not having religion? I assume you live a problem free life?...

Hope you realized, I'm bored too and just poking fun

1999 DR650SE

Long story short.

Don't use the damn yellow pages. Anybody has a smart phone that can look at reputable businesses. I would never ever ever pick a company out of the yellow pages. Go on Yelp, AngiesList, CitySearch, Yahoo Local. Anywhere but the worthless yellow pages.

Nah, but a religion gives you someone else to blame.....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Hope you realized, I'm bored too and just poking fun
    It's all good. Although, as bored as I am, an internet religion battle would have been fun!

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    ... Anybody has a smart phone that can look at reputable businesses...
    Not me. I didn't even want the damn camera that my phone has. My phone is actually... a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Nah, but a religion gives you someone else to blame.....
    Perhaps I should reevaluate my situation, then...
    Kim & Dean

Perhaps I should reevaluate my situation, then...
    And invest in a good lightning rod?
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

I just love these type threads.
    Lets recap.....
    I called someone to help me...
    I agreed on the price before the work......
    I now regret my poor choices.....
    I now need to blame somebody else for my poor choices.....
    I bitch about my experiance to anybody that will listen......
    I am now the martyr......

Lame!
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

It's the fastest growing thread of the day.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    I just love these type threads.
    Lets recap.....
    I called someone to help me...
    I agreed on the price before the work......
    I now regret my poor choices.....
    I now need to blame somebody else for my poor choices.....
    I bitch about my experiance to anybody that will listen......
    I am now the martyr......

Lame!
    And I love all the people who respond and don't even read the original post! Or maybe you just don't comprehend it, I don't know. The problem is that he lied to me. I told him my truck didn't use a programmable system and he insisted that it did. He's supposed to be the expert, so I trusted him and he screwed us. How is stating the facts bitching? Where is the poor choice? Are you one of the "anybody that will listen"?
    Kim & Dean