Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got ripped off by a locksmith

Re: Got ripped off by a locksmith

http://www.aloa.org/AGMap/AG.htm

PS I love AAA, definitly got more than my moneys worth over the years
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Assuming you were at CC Res, you don't have a spare key at home?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

What would worry me more than getting jacked for the money for the key, is the fact that this guy was hooked up to your truck. If you knew that it didn't need a programmed key, yet obliged him anyway, then he was messing with your truck for what you say was about 50 minutes.

Since you've got a diesel, I'd take that thing back to Ford and have them do a re-flash on the computer. Not that I trust dealers but I distrust shady locksmiths more. Because there's no telling what he could have uploaded to your ECM.

Not that he did anything wrong. But just to play it safe, as you've already let him flash the computer beforehand. At least have the dealer re-flash and then if something comes up you can always take it back to the dealer for another flash.

If it were a gasser truck I'd say you'd be o.k. But since these diesels rely so much on the ECM to control injectors, fuel rail pressures, timing, etc. I'd want to make sure. Not that a gas motor couldn't be hurt from a bad program but you won't blow a gasser up like you will a Diesel with too much fuel rail pressure or your timing gets thrown off and makes an injector take a dump.

Myself, I wouldn't have let him near my truck with a ten foot pole. I know it would have been a huge inconvenience but I'd call a tow truck for your truck and a friend for the boat.

my .02 cents
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    And I love all the people who respond and don't even read the original post! Or maybe you just don't comprehend it, I don't know. The problem is that he lied to me. I told him my truck didn't use a programmable system and he insisted that it did. He's supposed to be the expert, so I trusted him and he screwed us. How is stating the facts bitching? Where is the poor choice? Are you one of the "anybody that will listen"?

I sorry you felt you got ripped off. Really.
    Bottom line is he gave you a price and you agreed to it.
    You stated the price seemed out of line and you coulda said no thanks,
    but you didn't. Your choice. It seems your situation dictated events rather than gut instinct that led to a undesirable result. Things cost more when you need them the most. This sounds like the case.
    I have oceanfront property in Arizona if your interested.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Moral of the story? Don't lose your keys and keep a spare.

I'm wondering if there is any chance of him capturing any info,when he hooked up his computer, that can make the truck easier to steel. Or, was it all just show to make me think he was right and I was wrong.

No

Did he have a small box attached between the computer and the OBD connector?

Just curious
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

i'd never let a locksmith touch anything but a lock or a key. hooking into a car's obd port or something is out of the question.

it's possible that he just didn't know, and kept pretending after realizing that he didn't know because he didn't want to look stupid. that's still lame, but less shady. i'd definitely try to make him hurt for that though. toying with a car's computer without knowing what you are doing is a great way to render the vehicle useless and in need of an expensive repair. if someone claims to be a professional, it is definitely not excusable to risk doing that to someone either because you don't want to look stupid, or you are trying to gouge a customer for a little more cash.

i'd leave a google review at least. i think those will eventually hurt/help a lot more than they do now.

i've had tire places ask me if they wanted me to have them reset my tpms system on a number of occasions because my tpms light was on. i explained to them that (on my car) they couldn't without specific tpms registration tools that they did not have, and that i didn't even have tpms sensors in the wheels (winter wheels) to begin with. however, they wanted to try anyway. knowing my car better than some tire shop goon, of course i say "No". it's a little different, because we're talking about tpms rather than an ecu or something. however, the idea is the same, that being that if you know your vehicle at all, you probably know it better than a locksmith, or a tire shop guy, or a guy at pep boys, or anyone else who only has limited experience with a lot of vehicles, rather than a lot of experience with a few specific sorts of vehicles.
    Last edited by chanke4252; Fri Dec 31st, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
    Excessively long poster.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Assuming you were at CC Res, you don't have a spare key at home?
    A neighbor picked up Kim and took her home to verify we didn't have a spare. I knew we didn't, but she wanted to make sure. I have never lost a wallet or keys or anything else of importance, so it was never a priority to get a spare set.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    What would worry me more than getting jacked for the money for the key, is the fact that this guy was hooked up to your truck. If you knew that it didn't need a programmed key, yet obliged him anyway, then he was messing with your truck for what you say was about 50 minutes.
    Like I keep saying... He is supposed to be the expert, so I trusted he was more knowledgeable than me. Like I also say... even the so called experts don't know what the hell they are doing, so I do all my own work on everything. I guess I was too trusting that night...

Since you've got a diesel, I'd take that thing back to Ford and have them do a re-flash on the computer. Not that I trust dealers but I distrust shady locksmiths more. Because there's no telling what he could have uploaded to your ECM.
    Taking it in next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    I sorry you felt you got ripped off. Really.
    Bottom line is he gave you a price and you agreed to it.
    You stated the price seemed out of line and you coulda said no thanks,
    but you didn't. Your choice. It seems your situation dictated events rather than gut instinct that led to a undesirable result. Things cost more when you need them the most. This sounds like the case.
    I have oceanfront property in Arizona if your interested.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Man! You really don't get the point, do ya?!? How many times do I have to say that he is supposed to be the expert?!? Now pay attention here - I didn't design the truck, so it was entirely possible that I was wrong when I told him my truck didn't use such a key. Since he makes keys for a living, I had to trust that he knew what he was doing. He either made an honest mistake or he willfully ripped us off. I typed that real slow, so hopefully you get it, now!

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    No

Did he have a small box attached between the computer and the OBD connector?

Just curious
    I believe the "computer" was actually some kind of locksmith specific device. I saw part of the screen and it looked to be only information about keys. It had a cable coming out of it with a plug for my OBD port. (i.e. a cable specific for my truck)
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Fri Dec 31st, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

I believe the "computer" was actually some kind of locksmith specific device. I saw part of the screen and it looked to be only information about keys. It had a cable coming out of it with a plug for my OBD port. (i.e. a cable specific for my truck)
    The reason I asked is Ford uses a system called PATS for their keyless entry/theft deterrent. I know you stated that your truck doesn't have it but if it did this is what the locksmith would have been accessing to program your key.

This function requires a laptop and a J2534 pass through. It is possible to just have a cable on the back of a computer but most guys use a OBDII flasher pro or something similar. Anyone can buy these and do their own reflashing. The trick to it all is that the "reflash" or software update is owned by the manufacturer. So no matter who you are you have to purchase that from them. To do this you absolutly have to have three pieces. A laptop, a pass through J2534, and internet service.

So my suspesion is the guy didn't do anything. You can access ford's website http://www.motorcraftservice.com/

With your VIN you can find out all kinds of things about your truck. Including if the guy actually did anything. You will have to pay them for the access to the site. But basically at that point you can access most of the same info as the dealer.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I do have the keyless entry system. Just not a programmable key.
    Kim & Dean

when they decide not to refund you and they wont... id just keep calling them out on calls to nowhere every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrjohnny View Post
    when they decide not to refund you and they wont... id just keep calling them out on calls to nowhere every now and then.
    I'm not asking them for a refund. I just want to know what happened. They called me five minutes after I wrote the original post and claimed they were having phone problems. Their 'tech' is on vacation and they said they will let me know what's up next week. The receipt is itemized: $35 service call, $180 programmable key, $75 code source lookup/program. So, it should be an easy fix since Ford started the programmable key in 2008 and mine is a 2005.
    Kim & Dean

I do have the keyless entry system. Just not a programmable key.

the same system would control either.

Good luck with the locksmith.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

... $180 programmable key...
    The dealers only charge $45-50 for those!

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:38 PM.