Thread: Guitar Players

Guitar Players

Ok guys/Girls I got my first ever guitar. I have 3 notes down HEY QUIT LAUGHING.

How the heck do I get my fingers to not hit the other strings!?! Im not a large man with fat fingers. But 1 note is killing me! I have my fingers standing tall like shown in ALL vids I've seen .
    What gives?
    I want to learn. I practice every afternoon/night for at least 30 mins. Minimum . I dont plan on being the next Malmsteen or Vai. I just want to play something.

O BTW I got it christmas morning. It's 6 string acustic if that helps.

Re: Guitar Players

Practice, practice, practice... Take some formal lessons if possible.... oh, and practice... Lol
    2014 Ducati Hypermotard 821
    2015 HD FLHXS

Congrats on learning the guitar! It's a wonderful instrument. There are two rules you need when learning the instrument, patience and consistency.

Patience: You are training your hand muscles to do something they have never done, in ways they have never done it. Go slow and be methodical. The biggest thing when learning is muscle repetition. You need to train your finger muscles to do it the right way, every time. With time you will become more accurate with your execution.

Consistency: YOU HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT or it won't work. If you really want to learn the guitar, never go 48 hours without playing for at least 10 min. And the more you play to better you get (hopefully). It sounds like you are on your way with enough practicing, just keep it up!

FYI: I think you mean chords (multiple strings/notes played at the same time) and not notes.

If you feel really frustrated, post up a video.

Definitely practice, practice, practice. However, there are times to put it down. I play a few different instruments and after months of practice, I would walk away for a week or two. Practiced a lot in my mind to keep things fresh. When I would return, I was better. This has also worked with my stunt planes and helicopters. Sometimes ya just need a break.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Well.. If you JUST got it Christmas morning, then you definatly need to give it some time, guitars are not something that you just pickup and play after a 5 minute lesson.

Muscle memory and calouses on fingertips are your friends. Practice practice practice.
    '95 Suziki GSXF 600 (Katana) (sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka. Black Betty) Thunder Grey (Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Yes ShinysideUp I mean cords lol. I cant get all the strings to "ring" When doing a C cord. My durn fingers get in the way of 1 string or another. All other major cords I have them "ringing"
    I can change cords but still have to look at my left to check what fret I'm on lol . But hey I'm tryin .
    Pro classes is out as I work out of town and have no time. This is something I will have to learn on my own.
    Thanks for the tips If you have any suggestions on that C cord post em up. Meanwhile I'll keep workin on that 1 cord.

Quote Originally Posted by CoRR View Post
    Ok guys/Girls I got my first ever guitar. I have 3 notes down HEY QUIT LAUGHING.

How the heck do I get my fingers to not hit the other strings!?! Im not a large man with fat fingers. But 1 note is killing me! I have my fingers standing tall like shown in ALL vids I've seen .
    What gives?
    I want to learn. I practice every afternoon/night for at least 30 mins. Minimum . I dont plan on being the next Malmsteen or Vai. I just want to play something.

O BTW I got it christmas morning. It's 6 string acustic if that helps.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of all that is our little 6 string friend. Nothing really to add, as Sean(Shiny) hit the nail on the head with what I would offer as advice for playing. Dean(Kim-N-Dean) also had a great point of sometimes you just need to put the instrument down to relax and get your mind on other things.

I've found that at times, I'd get a stagnant feeling when it came to playing. So I'd put the guitar up for a few days(even a week) and would come back, refreshed and more creative.

As with what everyone has mentioned also, Practice, Practice and more Practice. My only other advice to offer is this. When it comes to music. Learn as much of it as you can. Meaning learn Music theory. I've been playing for 15 years and still haven't learned all I can learn. I always find something new to learn. But the reason I mention theory, is you need to know how your instrument works, before you can let it sing.

A firm grasp of musical theory(chords, scales, modes, different keys, tunings, etc. etc.) will expand your knowledge of the instrument and when it comes time to learn a song, you'll understand why the song sounds like it does.

Best of luck to you. For me playing the guitar is like riding. Once you get hooked, you'll be stuck with it for life.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I cant get all the strings to "ring" When doing a C cord. My durn fingers get in the way of 1 string or another.
    It happens with all beginners. A couple of things:
    1. really focus on using your finger tips
    2. try to put your finger as close to the front of the fret (closest to the sound hole) as possible.
    3. go slow, it will come.
    4. If you can, place your thumb in the middle of the back of the guitar neck, directly behind your fingers. This may not be possible yet.

Thanks for the tips If you have any suggestions on that C cord post em up.
    It's actually a pretty hard chord starting out. Your fingers don't naturally fall in that position, you need to train them. Try putting your ring finger down first and let the other ones follow.

You say practice, I say consistency. Kind of the same, kind of different. As a beginner you will gain a lot better skill by picking the guitar up twice a day for 10 min, even 5 min, then you will sitting down and practicing for an hour every other day. The constant reiteration of muscle mechanics can be achieved in a small time frame that is more common then in long sessions of redundancy.

It's a really hard cord for me ! But one day I'll get it

Awww man cant I just play without that cord LMAO
    My figer tips HURT !
    I'm better in my head !
    Here comes the complaining.