Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: road music/gps/phone/blah blah blah

Re: road music/gps/phone/blah blah blah

thanks... I guess I was digging through an old site...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    If you find out which headsets let you use your own headphones, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1-Laubinero View Post
    Wick... this set up has an optional clamp kit that allows for earbuds... I called the company but they don't sell the whole setup with the earbud clampkit. However, R1-L's link is what I've seen all over, this one is the bee's knees when it comes to bluetooth headsets.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/store/
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Hmmmm.....
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Found this. Not specific for iphone. Looks real strong and tight, problem is the screen is too thick for using with touchscreen iphone. I still might go with it. Not sure yet.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-aqu...149z-aq2u.html

I also think I'm going to order the Sena headset today. I'll post up a review when I get it and try it out.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

I went ahead and ordered one of the thinkbiologic cases.

It came with an insert for the 3g style phone and was about the best construction I found. Now I need to make a mount for it since I'm not a fan of the handle bar mount provided in the case. The company redesigned the case for the iphone4. It's a quality fit and definitely not a universal kit.

I really like that the touchscreen works great through the case and that there's a lense for the camera as well.

I assume you already got it, if not wehn you do get it, let me know if you think it could be set up with a ram mount? And if you think it will stay closed on rough roads. I know the older ones had some complaints of popping open and they were supposed to address it with the newer mounts.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    I assume you already got it, if not wehn you do get it, let me know if you think it could be set up with a ram mount? And if you think it will stay closed on rough roads. I know the older ones had some complaints of popping open and they were supposed to address it with the newer mounts.
    just mount some massive C clamps on it, tighten down until screen almost cracks, it wont go no where lol but that mount that salsa got looks pretty sweet too
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Arrived on Wednesday... now it's time to figure out how to mount the thing to the bike the way I want to. I'm not a fan of the small clamp included in the package.

The new case lock design seems pretty stout. It's a double lock system opposed to the single on the old case. Until I can get it on the bike and run it, no telling if it will work in the long run, but for now it seems like a good design. Just in case, I'll throw a couple of heavy duty rubber bands in my tank bag as insurance.

Found this. Not specific for iphone. Looks real strong and tight, problem is the screen is too thick for using with touchscreen iphone. I still might go with it. Not sure yet.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-aqu...149z-aq2u.html

I also think I'm going to order the Sena headset today. I'll post up a review when I get it and try it out.
    Curious if you have tried the Sena headset yet. The more reviews I read on it the better it looks.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Arrived on Wednesday... now it's time to figure out how to mount the thing to the bike the way I want to. I'm not a fan of the small clamp included in the package.

The new case lock design seems pretty stout. It's a double lock system opposed to the single on the old case. Until I can get it on the bike and run it, no telling if it will work in the long run, but for now it seems like a good design. Just in case, I'll throw a couple of heavy duty rubber bands in my tank bag as insurance.
    I heard the new lock design was better. I went the cheap route and got a $20 GPS mount the the iPhone sits in (with padding behind it) not perfect but I think it will work real well. Its nice cause it has a psuedo ram mount on it that puts it about 4 inches closer to me. I'll take some pics of it if I can get the bike out, if the snow melts

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    Curious if you have tried the Sena headset yet. The more reviews I read on it the better it looks.
    So far so good. I tried it in the house and it worked great. Bluetooth music is nice and loud and the phone calls work well too. Haven't had it on the road yet though. I have it in a dual sport helmet so the wind noise should give it a good test. Only possible problem I see is the headphone speakers are barely touching my ears. I knew this might be a problem because my ears were really close to the sides of my helmet to begin with. It would not be a problem in one of my scorpion street helmets, but the Shoei Hornet just doesn't have a lot of padding were my ears are.

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

pics of the Sena headset. I'm really liking how simple it is.

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    I've been scouring the interwebs and I keep coming back to the SMH-10. It seems to have the best bang for buck, plus I love that I can order a cradle that will accept headphones, not just helmet speakers.

If this isn't a concern, the other close contender is the Scala Rider - new enough... errr... motorcyclegear.com has a two unit set on clearance right now for 170. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/..._intercom.html

I heard the new lock design was better. I went the cheap route and got a $20 GPS mount the the iPhone sits in (with padding behind it) not perfect but I think it will work real well. Its nice cause it has a psuedo ram mount on it that puts it about 4 inches closer to me. I'll take some pics of it if I can get the bike out, if the snow melts
    I know the feeling. I got my ram mount kit two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for a warm day to go and play in the garage.

Picked up my new lid (shark evoline 2 - Thanks 303!) and installed the SMH-10 on Friday. Did a couple hundred miles on Saturday and got a chance to road test it.

So far, it works great. Easy to link up to the iphone. One touch activates the voice control on the phone and will control the phone and the ipod application. The phone sounds good. I received a call at highway speeds and didn't get any "What did you say?" comments.

Cons? Yes...

The headset that comes with the bluetooth unit is... well... everything you would expect from a cheap headset. The speakers loose all low and mid tones at highway speeds. You end up with screechy, tinny music above 80mph.
    - I'm not planning on using these for ever, I ordered a second headset which allows for ear buds. Once I get these made, the stock headset is out of there. I'd suggest this to anyone interested in this unit. Look on Amazon. I found a pretty good deal there.

The only other beef I had wasn't with the headset, it's with my iphone. The voice control is limited to the phone and the ipod. If you use something like Pandora, don't expect hands free operation.

All in all, pretty cool little device. Should make my run to yellowstone and CA this summer quite a bit more pleasurable.
    Last edited by salsashark; Mon Mar 7th, 2011 at 07:23 AM.

Similar results for me. I have a pretty loud helmet, anything over 70mph on the highway and I can't hear the music. Ear buds should help with that wind noise interference.

I need to get the second unit into my girlfriends helmet to see how the comm works.

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

You know.... you won't be able to use your iphone, unless your gloves are off, right?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

You know.... you won't be able to use your iphone, unless your gloves are off, right?
    worked allright for what I needed it for...

tap the button on the SMH, say "Call... so and so" and it does. Tap the button again and you get music back.

voice commands...

Phone Commands
    “Call”/“dial” plus name or nickname from address book. May need to
    add phone number type, such as “home”, “work”, “mobile”. “Call John
    Smith Mobile”.
    “Call”/“Dial” plus the number. “Dial 555 9592”.

Music Commands
    “Play”/“Play music”.
    “Play playlist” plus playlist name. “Play playlist gym songs”.
    “Play album” plus album name. “Play album The Wall”.
    Play artist” plus artist name. “Play artist Pink Floyd”.
    “Pause”/“Pause music”.
    “Next song”.
    “Previous song”.
    “Shuffle”.
    “Genius”/“Play more like this”/“Play more songs like this”.
    “Whatʼs playing?” (general information)
    “What song is this”, “Who sings this song”, or “Who is this song
    by” (specific information).

Misc Commands
    “What is the time?”/”What time is it?”
    “Not that one”/“Wrong”/“Nope”/“No”/“Not that”.
    “Cancel”/”Stop” (exit voice control)
    “Help"

I'm not playing angry birds while riding... well actually, I've never played angry birds so maybe that's a bad example, but I have the phone and the music. If I can find a GPS app that I like, I'll try that out next.

Not true. I've seen a few blogs where people threaded some conductive thread into the fingertip of their glove. Seemed to work well and a real cheap solution. I'll probably be trying this.

here is a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stULj...mbedded#at=133

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

I use TomTom on my Iphone 4G and really like it. The app was $45 and I use it all the time. It functions great with both Pandora and the Ipod feature. It offers free periodic new map downloads through Itunes. It is basically the same as the stand-alone units. I run it through an auxiliary input into my truck stereo because it doesn't transmit the voice commands through bluetooth. If it does, I haven't figured how to make that happen. My phone calls come in through bluetooth but not the music or gps....
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Tried out the intercomm mode today with the girlfriend. Worked very well, much better than phone conversations. Very clear and loud, no problem understanding her. Slight background noise (popping and stuff) but not much. Very little background wind noise.

Worked up to about a 1/2 mile then the background sounds got really bad. Very happy though.

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW