Thread: Super High Me Documentary Film

Super High Me Documentary Film

Anyone seen this film? It is the cannibus equivalent to "Super Size Me" film. I was surprised at the resutls especially if you compared this to drinking alcohol for 30 days straight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_High_Me
    Super High Me documents Benson avoiding alcohol and cannabis for a cleansing period and then smoking and otherwise consuming cannabis every day for 30 days in a row.[1] Benson says that Super High Me is "Super Size Me with weed instead of McDonalds".

Benson took various tests to gauge his physical and mental health both before 30 days of not smoking cannabis, and after doing so for 30 days straight. Benson's physician concluded that the effects on Benson's health from his use of cannabis were generally inconsequential. The greatest changes noted were in his weight (Benson gained eight pounds during his "high" month). His sperm count actually increased, contrary to the expectations of medical studies. His overall score on an SAT test increased (mostly verbal), although, it was mentioned that his mathematical skills were significantly reduced. The one effect that Benson was surprised at by the end of the smoking month was that he was sure that he'd be sick of smoking cannabis for a continuous extended period and that he felt like he was going to need an extended break afterwards. He instead felt perfectly fine with his continued casual smoking with no apparent, acquired disdain of any kind.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Jan 5th, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: Super High Me Documentary Film

mehhh... I thought it was pretty much stoner propaganda.

You're taking someone who is used to smoking, cutting them off, then making them function normally. Of course, his results will suffer... Now, take someone who has never smoked pot, make them smoke every day and then run the same tests. Compare the results with Benson's. Now I think that would be interesting.

High or not, I still didn't find him funny.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    mehhh... I thought it was pretty much stoner propaganda.

You're taking someone who is used to smoking, cutting them off, then making them function normally. Of course, his results will suffer... Now, take someone who has never smoked pot, make them smoke every day and then run the same tests. Compare the results with Benson's. Now I think that would be interesting.

High or not, I still didn't find him funny.
    Although it is very unusual for someone that does do a "drug" constantly to be able to stop and not have any problems; such as withdrawals. Even cigarettes, caffeine, alcohol, users would have serious issues coming off a drug they did everyday, but this guy didn’t seem to have much problem other than some cravings that he was able to control. As for being stoner propaganda, I am not so sure since they did have medical doctors on there monitoring him and were just reporting the results; even the doctors were shocked that he stayed healthy after a month long session of smoking. I feel if there were bad things that came up they would have been stated just like “Super Size Me”. It is just wild that an illegal drug that so many people are against didn’t do major harm after staying on it for a month straight; always stoned. I’d like to see the same thing done to someone drinking for 30 days straight; always drunk. My bet is halfway between they would be in the hospital or jail.

I'm not going to argue for or against smoking marijuana because, quite frankly, I don't care.

As for the movie itself? blah blah blah, I smoke weed, blah blah blah... who cares?!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

I'm not going to argue for or against smoking marijuana because, quite frankly, I don't care.

As for the movie itself? blah blah blah, I smoke weed, blah blah blah... who cares?!
    Hmmm..I guess saw a different point of view from the movie. I am not arguing for or against it either (obviously it is better to not smoke weed than to smoke it), I was just shocked from the results of these tests. For example: I have always heard your sperm count goes down with smoking weed, but it showed different. Also I have heard that weed is addicting, yet he quit cold turkey. Then the increase in the SAT scores was shocking.

I took it more as a documentary on a subject; not trying to argue either

I took away a few different thoughts regarding the tests...

1. The sperm count - how's to say he didn't rub one out before the first test and was a bit low when he went in?
    2. Addiction is an individual thing. I know people who can't go a day without a beer, others can smoke like a freight train one day and not pick up another cigarette. I think it's personal chemistry which leads to major addiction problems
    3. The SAT - repetition? I don't know, I never took the SATs. Went to college out west.

This is why I mentioned that I think a better test would be to go the other direction and compare the results. My thought regarding the movie was that there was no control, no actual science, just his before and after and calling it gospel.

I would like to see this same test compared to Alcohol!!!

Salsa, you down to drink for thirty days straight; then stop for thirty days?

My GF is a nurse and the worst withdrawals she sees are for alcohol. People hallucinate, have seizures, and renal failure trying to stop drinking. Personally never heard one person have this happen with weed or even overdose for that matter.

Source: Jack E. Henningfield, PhD for the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

No thanks! no argument what so ever. Alcohol is not a good thing by any means.

I lived with a full bore alcoholic in college and watching him trip out when there wasn't any liquor in the house was scary. I couldn't imagine being a kid with parents like that... That being said, I dated a girl who swore up and down that pot helped her with her ADD. I think it was just an excuse to get high... Either way, you could tell when she hadn't smoked in a while because she became, quite possibly, one of the most annoying humans on the face of the planet. While I have no desire to deal with it again, I'll take annoying over the shakes and cussing of the alcoholic any day.

Darn there went my idea for "Super Drunk Me"

Anyways, thanks Salsa for having a good conversation without turning into some drama. Nice to know it can still happen on CSC

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Darn there went my idea for "Super Drunk Me"

Anyways, thanks Salsa for having a good conversation without turning into some drama. Nice to know it can still happen on CSC
    I'm just happy cause Pelosi got kicked out of office today! BAZINGA!!!

This movie was what it was. It was not a gospel or anything of the sort. It's not an advocation of smoking weed all day every day. It was a simple experiment to see the real-world (not a laboratory controlled "experiment") effects on a person who smokes on a regular basis, then spends 30 days off and 30 days on. Of course there's a million and one things that one could invent to discount the results they came up with.

I don't agree with the SAT testing comparison, unless the two tests were completely different questions. Makes it too easy to remember a question from the last test. Yes, even if stoned.

While I'm a math whiz these days for my day job, I was not when I was in high school. I struggled with it non-stop. One day I came into Geometry class blazed out of my mind. SO blazed, I don't even remember blazing through the pop quiz we received that morning. I was the only person in class to ace it. That never happened again, lol.

There's something to be said for tolerance. The more often I smoke, the less it affects me each time without taking a break. I imagine any person can develop a tolerance to any substance. I regularly quit smoking for months at a time, then come back and smoke for months at a time. When I start smoking again, I realize how greatly it affects me. Even if it's only been a week. After a few days of smoking endlessly, that feeling is gone. That's what makes it easy to blaze through 30 days of endless smoking. I imagine someone who didn't smoke every day, would eventually reach the same point. However, a person who doesn't ever smoke, obviously prefers to be sober, rather than high. So why would they show any benefit from getting high? It definitely has a lot to do with the specific person doing the test. I don't think the opposite situation of this movie, would have similar results unless the person that started smoking, realized how much they liked getting high.

IMO, the one thing someone can take away form this movie, is that it's not as harmful a substance as our government makes it out to be. I think someone needs to do a "Super Drunk Me" movie. I'd love to see that one, lol
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

The movie was about a pot head taking a break from weed, then starting again.

For one, THC stays in your system LONGG after 30 days if you do it regularly. 2. Like what was stated above, take a person who has not ever or rarely smoked weed, and do this same test. WAY different results.

Or make me do it. Every single time I have smoked weed, I have puked my guts out. So my SAT score would be 1000 Sober and a No Show while high. The movie was pure pot propoganda.

Not that I have anything against it, and I think it should be legal, but the movie was a joke.

Yeah, I saw it. Personally I didn't think it was that great. It was more of a "follow me around and shoot video" than it was informative. I'd have a hard time buying into any results he came up with. Not to say that Super Size me was scientific, but at least you have some interesting contrast (vegan to McD's).

i'd like to see "super drunk me" too. man, that would be ridiculous.

i think the fact that something like this "documentary" even exists is a pretty good argument for legalization, even if it isn't exactly objective. as previously stated, it's pretty clear at this point that it simply isn't as dangerously detrimental as a lot of people (and our government) think that it is.
    Excessively long poster.

ever see super high me...

ON WEEEEEEEEED?

Honestly the thing that amazes me the most is the lack of any negatives besides his math score. Basically what other substance can u max out on and not have negative effects? hell, u drink water straighfor a month all the time film it and i bet their results wouldnt be so good... propaganda aside it is pretty interesting

Quote Originally Posted by extremepaint View Post
    Honestly the thing that amazes me the most is the lack of any negatives besides his math score. Basically what other substance can u max out on and not have negative effects? hell, u drink water straighfor a month all the time film it and i bet their results wouldnt be so good... propaganda aside it is pretty interesting
    I had a near death Cheetos OD one time..... lol

Quote Originally Posted by extremepaint View Post
    ...Basically what other substance can u max out on and not have negative effects? hell, u drink water straighfor a month all the time film it and i bet their results wouldnt be so good... propaganda aside it is pretty interesting
    My Mom was a drug counselor and there are people addicted to drinking water. They drink so much that it dilutes their blood stream and they get a buzz. At the rehab clinics, they have to lock down the toilet seats. Now, that's desperate!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    My Mom was a drug counselor and there are people addicted to drinking water. They drink so much that it dilutes their blood stream and they get a buzz. At the rehab clinics, they have to lock down the toilet seats. Now, that's desperate!!
    BTW anybody see that new show about strange addictions.

LMFAO at the lady addicted to eating Comet detergent. lolz

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post

Didn't have to watch the show, the commercials were enough for me.

The woman eating TP was odd, but kind of funny, the woman chowing down laundry detergent on the other hand?!

Didn't have to watch the show, the commercials were enough for me...
    Same here!! I've never seen South Park, Friends, Seinfeld or Family Guy, either. Never could get past the commercials!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post

Yeah I saw the one where the guy was addicted to eating pizza and that is all he ate for ten years. Not even good pizza, just any type at all!

True story, but I almost had to fire an employee a while back because she turned around in front of me, grabbed something out of her pocket, and put it up to her nose/mouth and when she turned around had white stuff on the top of her mouth: of courseI thought she was doing coke in the office, To make a long story short I had to talk with her and very embarrassed she pulls out this tube of toothpaste and tells me she is addicted to eating it. Claims to go through almost a entire tube a day
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Jan 6th, 2011 at 02:40 PM.