Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just got a jeep.

just got a jeep.

just got a jeep and ill have the title and and it registered hopefully by this tuesday. anyone wanna hit up some trails or venture out in the mud next weekend? im looking to get out and about but nothing too bad to where i might break something. maybe hit up pikes peak or something since me and the family havent been up there yet.
    Rooster

Re: just got a jeep.

Now that you have a 4x4 you have the capacity to get stuck further from help Enjoy it I miss my old Wrangler.

couldnt be truer. lol im just wanting to some sightseeing and all. and ill get into the tougher stuff once i get a bigger lift and tires, and a winch.
    Rooster

Congrats on the Jeep. Something inside me says everyone should own a Jeep at least once.

congrats.. I spent 8 hr car shopping today

Details on said Jeep? Pics?

8hrs car shopping? did ya find anything?
    Rooster

Hey once i get some tires on the ole taco i could show you around to a few spots near the springs with two vehicles its pretty easy to get unstuck with carefull driving... im from buffalo ny trust me i know these things

Quote Originally Posted by mutantsquirl View Post
    8hrs car shopping? did ya find anything?
    an 05 pilot, 04 highlander and went as far as to do paperwork on a 09 flex,,, the salesman recollected it was 21.5, I asked to double check the $$$ and they came back at 25!!!!!

I'm gonna try one last flex in the springs Monday. If not the pilots looking like "the one"

Still ironing all the bugs out on my jeep to get it ready for trails. Perhaps later in the year.

The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I might be down to go but I don't really know of to many places. I got my jeep the middle of last year and have only gone a few times. I'd like to go somewhere not too bad. Here's a pic of her it's not a great one. This what off of fire road 315 near monument if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by age315; Sat Jan 8th, 2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: pic

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    an 05 pilot, 04 highlander and went as far as to do paperwork on a 09 flex,,, the salesman recollected it was 21.5, I asked to double check the $$$ and they came back at 25!!!!!

I'm gonna try one last flex in the springs Monday. If not the pilots looking like "the one"
    a buddy of mine has a pilot and he loves it. just enough room but yet small enough to make you feel like your not driving a tank.
    Rooster

[QUOTE=Captain Obvious;537138]Still ironing all the bugs out on my jeep to get it ready for trails. Perhaps later in the year.

what kind of problems you got with it?
    Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by age315 View Post
    I might be down to go but I don't really know of to many places. I got my jeep the middle of last year and have only gone a few times. I'd like to go somewhere not too bad. Here's a pic of her it's not a great one. This what off of fire road 315 near monument if I remember correctly.
    what size tires and lift you got on there? if im right i only got 2.5 body lift and 31's.
    im looking into a 4" suspension lift and maybe some 33's or 35's, alone with the right gear set so i dont tear anything up. lol
    Rooster

anyone know how the engines in these things run? i got the 4.0 with 175k. ive been told they will last forever as long as you keep up with the maintnence and oil. ive seen and old 4cyl with 300k on it and it still ran like a champ. the guy drives it back and fourth to work everyday. is this with all the engines?
    Rooster

I had a few jeeps (older wranglers). They always ran, not great or smooth, but they would always run. They also always had little nagging problems like leaking head gaskets or something. Fun rides.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

great buy... you'll love it

-Travis-

[QUOTE=mutantsquirl;537142]
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Still ironing all the bugs out on my jeep to get it ready for trails. Perhaps later in the year.

what kind of problems you got with it?
    Oh, let me count the ways..... The background is I got it for $500, not running (but close) and after she sat for 18 months. She currently runs, just keeping it to in-town driving to flesh out any new bugs while I tackle the existing list. Current projects are:

Complete replacement of all door lock actuator and window tracks, reassemble the doors.
    Fix window and lock on tail gate
    Replace grill and headlight systems
    Electrical issue with sunroof
    Insulate the roof
    Grind roof to metal and prime hood and roof

I finally have it so she will start pretty much every time I wanna drive her. Already completed:
    Tuneup
    replace ignition/plugs/wires
    2 inch lift
    new tires
    new stereo and front speakers
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I’ve got a 1990 Wrangler with the 4 cyl that I bought new in late ’89. She’s at 161k, still runs good and just passed emissions. Pretty weak running on the hwy or up a pass but good for off road and around town. Mine is bone stock (even the clutch is original) and I need to yank it out and replace all the gaskets, valve job, new clutch, etc. She’s been a very good vehicle, been paid off since 1993, and has stranded me only twice (water pump, fuel pump). Great vehicle when the weather sucks. Pic is from a hut trip we did in 2008.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I loved my Jeep but I doubt I would own another one.

I had an '87 "Street" Commanche with 190,00 miles on it. Head gasket leaked like a mother, tossed a belt or two, plugged up thermostat blew off a radiator hose. Nothing serious, and she always ran. It was a fun vehicle while it lasted.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

anyone know how the engines in these things run? i got the 4.0 with 175k. ive been told they will last forever as long as you keep up with the maintnence and oil. ive seen and old 4cyl with 300k on it and it still ran like a champ. the guy drives it back and fourth to work everyday. is this with all the engines?
    Generally, the 4L is a bullet proof engine. Long running, but not the most powerful platform out there... hence the stroker options as well as the v8 swaps that are common with trail rigs.

IIRC, the only major problem with these engines were the plastic valve covers (if you were unlucky enough to get one). As they aged, they warped and leaked. It's fairly common and a quick google search will flood you with aluminum swap options.

I only kept my jeep for a couple of years. It was fun while I had it, just unpractical as an only car. If I were to get another one, it would be a toy, nothing more.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

[QUOTE=Captain Obvious;537153]

Oh, let me count the ways..... The background is I got it for $500, not running (but close) and after she sat for 18 months. She currently runs, just keeping it to in-town driving to flesh out any new bugs while I tackle the existing list. Current projects are:

Complete replacement of all door lock actuator and window tracks, reassemble the doors.
    Fix window and lock on tail gate
    Replace grill and headlight systems
    Electrical issue with sunroof
    Insulate the roof
    Grind roof to metal and prime hood and roof

I finally have it so she will start pretty much every time I wanna drive her. Already completed:
    Tuneup
    replace ignition/plugs/wires
    2 inch lift
    new tires
    new stereo and front speakers
    if ya need any help ill be happy to help out. i have off till the 19th i think cause of another knee surgeory. so sitting at the house doing nothing is gonna make me crazy.
    Rooster

i heard allot about the head gaskets leaking. mine arent leaking yet but if and when they do i think ill just put in a bigger motor and leave the 4.0 as a backup or rebuild it. and put it into a project jeep for a toy or something.
    Rooster