Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just got a jeep.

Re: just got a jeep.

My TJ had 120K+ miles on it and didn't leak a drop. I was running a stock drive train w/ a 2" lift and 32s. It got me wherever I needed to go without being too unruly on the road.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

what about the transmission? i havent heard anyhting about the toughness or longtivity on them yet.
    Rooster

Never had any issues with mine (5 speed manual). For a daily driver it was fine. I'd venture a guess that if you start in with serious mods, you may want to look further into it. Also, if you're Planning a 4" or more lift, you definitely want to invest in a slip yoke eliminator kit.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

i heard about that. whats the deal with it?
    Rooster

In a nutshell, it locks the front driveshaft into the transfer case. With increased lift and suspension articulation, the stock yoke can fall out of the transfer case. Once you go above 4", your drive angles make this a lot easier.

Bests thing to do is figure out exactly what you want to do with the jeep, then consult a company like Rusty's and they'll set you up. Dail Driver, Rock Crawler, high speed, low speed, mud... all require certain modifications that if done right the first time will save you a ton of money. You think motorcycles are expensive? You aint seen nothing yet!

If you haven't already, check out http://www.colorado4x4.org. Good local forum.

appreciate the link. ill look into it.
    Rooster

Mine has a 2 1/2 inch suspension and a 1 inch body lift. I'm running 33 - 12.50s and it rubs a bit in the front under heavy articulation. When I bought it there were 35s on it and I had to get rid of them. I kinda of wish I went with 32s and I might after these wear out.

Wtf am i about the only toyota in the group? Haha oh well ill follow any jeep on any trail as long as its not liberty indy blanca peak or other 8+ rated trail! I have plenty of experiance with the local trails aswell

well my jeep is also my daily driver. so im not gonna do anything that will break something. lol. i think at most ill add a lift, tires, hardcore bumpers for the crazy springs drivers, winch. and maybe some body protection stuff.
    Rooster

just put it in the garage to melt the snow off. good god does it do good in the snow! i tried to get the back end to spin around but it only did it once and then straightened up on its own. and in 4 wheel drive its like driving on regular dry concrete.
    Rooster