Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do it all boots?

Do it all boots?

Can anyone recommend a pair of boots that are good for 3 season commuting, walking, and occasional track days? I spend about an hour a day on the bike and I am able to swap to shoes once I get to work, but would like a boot I can wear to the store or to a bike night and not be uncomfortable. Protection is important but I know I will spend a lot of time in them and comfort is also a must. Something fairly easy to take on and off would be a plus too. Any suggestions that would fit the bill? I feel like I am asking for a lot.

Re: Do it all boots?

I've got the new Sidi Cobra's. Super comfortable, can walk around all day in them.
    2006 Lexus GX470
    2010 Ducati Streetfighter
    2007 Ducati M695
    1994 Yamaha TZ250 (track smoker)

I had a pair of TCX SS Performance boots that treated me very well for a few years, and were fairly comfy. It appears these have been replaced by the S-Zero model.

Very easy/quick to put on, decent protection and while not quite waterproof, they seemed to fend off most of the water. Used them for day to day use, touring and trackdays/racing. not as rigid as the race specific boots, but some armor around the ankle and a toe slider.

as a comparison, I have a pair of Sidi vortice boots that I can barely wear an hour or two at a time.

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

My joe rocket meteors treat me well. I use them pretty much exactly as you described (except the track days part... that's probably next year).
    I'd occasionally like a taller boot in winter but that's just cause I'm a fucking pansy when it comes to cold.
    Last edited by cptschlongenheimer; Thu Apr 28th, 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: clarification
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

i've had my Alpine Star SMX for over 5 years... sole could use some new rubber. But still in great shape. Well over 50,000 miles on them.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I wear the A* one-o-one boot for everyday riding. Maybe not the best track boot... The S-MX One is a bit more sturdy, but very similar.

After I got out of my cast after breaking my ankle and having surgery, I wore my one-o-one boots every day. Super comfortable, awesome support. I just hate tying them all the time.

For heavier rides, I've got a pair of A* S-MX Plus boots
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Thanks for the advice, they all look like good boots are not as aggressive as a full track boot. I need to find some of these to try on.

I've been considering the A* Harlem for a ride/office/everyday boot but I'm not convinced yet. And no one stocks them so I'd have to deal with ordering online.

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbahus View Post
    Can anyone recommend a pair of boots that are good for 3 season commuting, walking, and occasional track days? I spend about an hour a day on the bike and I am able to swap to shoes once I get to work, but would like a boot I can wear to the store or to a bike night and not be uncomfortable. Protection is important but I know I will spend a lot of time in them and comfort is also a must. Something fairly easy to take on and off would be a plus too. Any suggestions that would fit the bill? I feel like I am asking for a lot.

TCX Infinity. Gortex lining, leather shell. Definatly waterproof. Not alot of structure like a motocross boot but very comfortable. This is the boot I take to Mexico for 50/50 street-dirt duty. Still able to walk around the town centers after all day on or off road riding. Suitable for both sportbike or dirt bike applications.
    Last edited by Bashed; Tue Sep 13th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Performance Cycle in Denver has the best selection of boots I've seen. I would suggest looking into getting a boot that you wouldn't have to change out for going to work or shopping. And later for more aggressive riding, track or spirited canyon in leathers, owning a full race boot.

Just remember when you get a new leather boot it's going to be fairly uncomfortable riding and walking around in until you break them in. Hope you find something good.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

How do the A-star boots fit? Do they run narrow or are they pretty typical of a standard shoe? I found a few pairs of used boots on ebay that might fit the bill. I would love to get a a good deal too.
    Last edited by kbahus; Sat Apr 30th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.

Most motorcycle shops carry boots like the A* SMX-2 and SMX-5, but not the SMX-R. I would suggest just going to your local and finding the right size. The track boots are going to be much snugger than the street. I was able to stick to my normal shoe size for all their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    TCX Infinity. Gortex lining, leather shell. Definatly waterproof. Not alot of structure like a motocross boot but very comfortable. This is the boot I take to Mexico for 50/50 street-dirt duty. Still able to walk around the town centers after all day on or off road riding. Suitable for both sportbike or dirt bike applications.
    Those look like solid boots! Could you walk 2 miles on sidewalk?

1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Stupid question, but are cowboy boots an actual option? Do they have any real protection? Don't the heels make it kind of weird to ride? Just asking because I don't know.

Depends on if you want ankle protection...

If I saw someone wearing cowboy boots on a sportbike...

I wear cowboy boots all the time. I really posted it as more of a joke than a serious recommendation. They're better than tennis shoes but, as mentioned, don't offer any impact protection for your ankles. Or support to help prevent your ankle from twisting the wrong direction.

The soles and heel aren't "weird"

And Vellos, I'm sure I've worn my boots on rides you've been on and you haven't exploded.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Wait... what were we talking about? ?

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I've had a pair of A-Stars Supertech boots for about 5 years now, and many miles in all weather. I love 'em, but if you get 'em wet you have to pull the inner boot out to thoroughly dry them and it's a pain in the ass to get 'em back in. I usually avoid riding in the rain, so I generally don't have to. My zipper on the left boot is failing from so much use, and they're fixing it for free! Yep, I'll stick with A-Stars gear!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Sidi Air. Great ventilation in summer, put electrical tape over vents in winter, and very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post

Nice boots, also try out the Gaerne Protech and balance oiled. I have the protech which are not waterproof but the are insanely comfy. The Oiled are much more expensive and waterproof. I think Motogearoutlet sells them in Arvada (?)
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by kbahus View Post
    These have been pretty good to me, Sidi Canyon. They get a little tiresome wearing them all day at work, no issues on a bike nite though. Easy to put on and remove with velcro + ratchet mechanism. http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...Gore-Tex-Boots

Picked up some used SMX boots off ebay as I couldn't spend the cash on a new pair right now. Hopefully they work out and they look to be in decent shape from the pics. Thanks for all of the suggestions once again. I will post up results when they arrive.