Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorai Batteries?

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Re: Shorai Batteries?

Dean,
    Yes, Lipo's when they came out were very prone to fire's as people didn't follow charging instructions or balance them properly enough. Packs would swell and burst. Hence why Hard Pack Lipo's are now a standard for ROAR, etc. They are charge sensitive and also temperature sensitive as well.

New LiFe technology eliminates all of those problems. No balancing, no need to store in a temperature environment, etc. Also the output does not drop off like a typical Lead based battery
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    Dean,
    Yes, Lipo's when they came out were very prone to fire's as people didn't follow charging instructions or balance them properly enough. Packs would swell and burst. Hence why Hard Pack Lipo's are now a standard for ROAR, etc. They are charge sensitive and also temperature sensitive as well.

New LiFe technology eliminates all of those problems. No balancing, no need to store in a temperature environment, etc. Also the output does not drop off like a typical Lead based battery
    Aaahhh, now I get it!!

I thought you were saying 'life' as in a company name or something. I see now that it is LiFe (Lithium Iron Phosphate). All new stuff to me...

You said, "Also the output does not drop off like a typical Lead based battery". Nothing drops worse than LiIo or LiPo. They hold a strong charge and then take a huge shit at the end!!! If you're in the air when that happens, you better be REAL good at autogyro'ing
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Yes but you'll notice that the Lipo output doesn't "drop off" until the battery reaches 15% charge. With Lead acid the curve constantly drops off. Lipo cut-off is a must in RC unless you want to see the magic smoke

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    Yes but you'll notice that the Lipo output doesn't "drop off" until the battery reaches 15% charge.
    That's what I'm sayin'. They hold a charge and then... BAM!! No power.

I was really surprised to see that my first electric heli came with LiPo's. I didn't think they had the 'predictability' that is needed for aircraft. With NiCad's, they would "fade" and you could tell you were losing power and get that bitch back on the ground!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

You guys are all nerds with all this LiPo, LiFe, A123 talk! NERDS!!!!!
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I've decided to give these a try in two very different applications. One for the racebike and one for the zuma. I'll be posting a review here after I've used them a while.

Scott

These have become quite the seller for us with a lot of positive feedback and reviews! We have a shipment in today as well as friday.

Thanks again Scott!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    I've decided to give these a try in two very different applications. One for the racebike and one for the zuma. I'll be posting a review here after I've used them a while.

Scott

I bought two Shorai Power LFE batts this spring for the racebike and couldn't be happier. I had already put a YT5 battery in the racebike (same size a yamaha zuma uses) to save weight and that was working well.

The Shorai is the equivelent of a YT9 in terms of CCA, but weighs less than 1/2 of what the #5 weighs.

Totally awesome - would buy again in a heartbeat!

DK, do you have a pic of a Shorai battery next to a standard battery for a size comparison?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Latest edition of Roadracing World has a thorough comparison on all bike batteries, pics and all
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Are these available again, when I was looking they were backordered.

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    I bought two Shorai Power LFE batts this spring for the racebike and couldn't be happier. I had already put a YT5 battery in the racebike (same size a yamaha zuma uses) to save weight and that was working well.

The Shorai is the equivelent of a YT9 in terms of CCA, but weighs less than 1/2 of what the #5 weighs.

Totally awesome - would buy again in a heartbeat!
    Agreed, I'm very happy with mine as well. I've got them in the MV and the Triumph. Much easier way to lose weight than laying off the pancakes. By the way, Shorai now has their proprietary chargers available on their website.

Last I heard, Shorai was having production problems and 303 couldn't get any. Best bet is to call David and get the scoop. Click the sig fo da numba.

I put a Shorai (LFX09A2-BS12) in my track bike last month (Triumph 675). So far so good. Cranks really well and a big weight savings over the stock. It is smaller then stock but they give you foam pads to take up the extra space. Not a huge difference in size but it is definiatly much lighter.

If you don't have any luck finding them local I would suggest trying Power-Tripp performance. That's where I got mine. Great price and fast service/shipping. You can PM me if you need there contact info.

Last edited by Graphite675; Thu May 19th, 2011 at 09:09 AM.
    // MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

I placed an order a week ago for one. Was nice to read the reviews praising it, and then seeing it's nearly half the cost of the competitors'.

Here is a comparison of the stock Triumph 675 vs. the Shorai. I think the weight difference was around 4.4 Lbs. It is unbelievably light for a battery.
    // MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

^^Awesome, thanks!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I've read that they are recommended/need to use a special charger for them. For a racebike, I'd get one in a heartbeat. For my streetbike, dunno that I'd be willing to pay the extra $75+ for 5 lbs savings over a regular battery. Especially as I don't exactly have $$ falling out of my ass right now. Neat technology though.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

4 cell (A123) that I put in the Ninja 250
    I had to fill all the rest of the battery box with bubble wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I've read that they are recommended/need to use a special charger for them. For a racebike, I'd get one in a heartbeat. For my streetbike, dunno that I'd be willing to pay the extra $75+ for 5 lbs savings over a regular battery. Especially as I don't exactly have $$ falling out of my ass right now. Neat technology though.

Yeah, not sure I could justify it for a street bike? I'm still not sure of the long term life of the battery either.

You actually don't need a "special" charger for them, Just do not use the ones that desulfate/recondition the battery.

As far as price, I paid $99 for mine which is only about $25 more then the stock so I thought it wasn't a bad deal.

// MRA #888 //

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite675 View Post
    Yeah, not sure I could justify it for a street bike? I'm still not sure of the long term life of the battery either.

You actually don't need a "special" charger for them, Just do not use the ones that desulfate/recondition the battery.

As far as price, I paid $99 for mine which is only about $25 more then the stock so I thought it wasn't a bad deal.
    For $100, I certainly look at it, as I think I paid $75 for the Yuasa I have. for $150, not so much. The article I just read in Sport rider about the battery said the mfg'r recommended their own special charger, so......

Like I said, for a racebike it's a no-brainer, for a streetbike....??? Especially with unknown long-term durability as I tend to ride solo way out in the middle of nowhere. Definately a technology I'll be watching for possible later use, but I just don't feel the need to immediately jump on the bandwagon. I'm glad there ARE those that want to immediately try it out as that's all good info for us!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I have no issues using the Shorai in my street bikes. They evidently last as long or longer than a standard battery, they maintain more of their charge when not on a charger, they can still start a bike when discharged (try that with a standard battery), and you actually can use a Battery Tender with them. I bought their proprietary charger though because it makes me feel like I'm treating the batteries better.

I feel comfortable being an early adopter on this technology but it's understandable if you don't. The weight loss is pretty cool too. Lots of people pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars to lose 5 lbs off a bike. This is what... an extra $50-$75 over a standard battery, which is then spread out over however many years it lasts you? Pretty insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    I have no issues using the Shorai in my street bikes. They evidently last as long or longer than a standard battery, they maintain more of their charge when not on a charger, they can still start a bike when discharged (try that with a standard battery), and you actually can use a Battery Tender with them. I bought their proprietary charger though because it makes me feel like I'm treating the batteries better.

I feel comfortable being an early adopter on this technology but it's understandable if you don't. The weight loss is pretty cool too. Lots of people pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars to lose 5 lbs off a bike. This is what... an extra $50-$75 over a standard battery, which is then spread out over however many years it lasts you? Pretty insignificant.
    I've gotten about 5 years on the batteries I have, so I'd feel better about getting one when I see they last that long. I remember they did recommend their own special charger, so, like you, I think it'd make good sense to get one especially due to the price of the batteries.

True about the weight, can you feel a difference? I'm just a cheap bastard. I haven't done anything to lighten my bike, or mod it. If I bought a pipe (want to), it's not so much for the weight as the power increase. I remember the dual pipes on my old '83 GS1100ES weighed 44 lbs! I replaced them with a Kerker race pipe that weighed 19lbs, for only about $400, but that was back in the day before $2k Akra's.....

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post

True about the weight, can you feel a difference? I'm just a cheap bastard. I haven't done anything to lighten my bike, or mod it. If I bought a pipe (want to), it's not so much for the weight as the power increase. I remember the dual pipes on my old '83 GS1100ES weighed 44 lbs! I replaced them with a Kerker race pipe that weighed 19lbs, for only about $400, but that was back in the day before $2k Akra's.....
    To be honest I'm not sure how much difference I feel. Losing unsprung weight (wheels, tires, etc.) is a lot more noticeable than sprung weight. Plus I changed the battery in the MV before I got much riding in on it so I don't have anything to compare it to. I do feel like I noticed it a little in the Triumph though.

As far as exhaust, I'd say make the change for the opposite reason you stated. Do it for the weight loss instead of a power gain. Most exhaust systems add only a couple horsepower but can take off as much as 20 lbs (or more?)! You'll never feel a couple extra hp as it's usually up high in the rev range anyway. You WILL feel a 20 lb weight loss.