Discount Motorcycle Tire - 1 order

Overall Rating (3/5): ***

Walk-in order.

Called 07/22 to see if they had a rear tire in-stock. Yep. Can I get it mounted today? Yep, as long as you get here before 5pm. I head over to the store about 3:30pm. Get there and explain that I had called and was there to get a new rear tire mounted. We're out of that tire. The guy on the phone just said you had them in-stock. I was told that this had happened several times before that same day and that he was going to go talk to the guy on the phones. Tire should be in Wednesday or Thursday, but call me (gave me direct extension) to verify. Tried to call several times 07/23. Never got an answer at that extension. Decided to drop by. Actually talked to owner. Computer says we're out, but I don't believe it. Went back to look. Had every size, except the one I needed. Explained to him what had happened. He admitted that this was clearly a failure of their inventory system. Verified someplace else in town had them in-stock and said he would send a truck over to get some tomorrow. Gave me his direct extension to call to verify. Called 07/24. Got owner, yep, tire is in. Went to shop, they were waiting for me, got tire mounted in about an hour. Gave me web price ($8 off). Kudos to the owner for taking care of me and admitting that they had a problem. Incidentally, he also told me that the Denver store is the only place that can send 2nd day shipments, so when someone places an order via the web or phone and needs 2nd day shipping, the tires will come from the Denver store, not one of the warehouses. This contributes to them having problems keeping things in stock in the Denver store.

As some of you may have read elsewhere, contrary to a majority of the reviews of DMT, my experiences with them have been less than stellar. While I'm satisfied with the end result, getting there was not painless. This time, because I had some time to spare, I was willing to go with the flow and see what happened. Other places I checked wanted $40-$50 more for the same tire and couldn't mount it for several days so I had little to lose. If you call them, keep in mind that the local number seems to go to their call center. Make sure you let them know that you are in Denver and that you will be going to the Denver store to pickup your tire and/or have it mounted. If you don't, they simply look at the warehouse inventories to verify stock (might have plenty, but they may be in Timbuktu rather than at the Denver store). It may not be a bad idea to have someone at the store physically verify that the tire is in-stock before you drive over there. Also, be aware that the web prices are discounted about $8 from the in-store prices, so if you look at a price online, expect to pay $8 more at the store. Some sort of compensation for having to pay shipping when you order online. Not sure if that's completely legal or not, but that's the way it is (I seem to recall some other online retailers getting in trouble for doing this sort of thing a few years back, but I could be wrong).

In summary, while there is room for improvement in the customer service department, I'm not ready to give up on them yet.