Thread: Discount Motorcycle Tire

Discount Motorcycle Tire

Discount Motorcycle Tire - 1 order

Overall Rating (3/5): ***

Walk-in order.

Called 07/22 to see if they had a rear tire in-stock. Yep. Can I get it mounted today? Yep, as long as you get here before 5pm. I head over to the store about 3:30pm. Get there and explain that I had called and was there to get a new rear tire mounted. We're out of that tire. The guy on the phone just said you had them in-stock. I was told that this had happened several times before that same day and that he was going to go talk to the guy on the phones. Tire should be in Wednesday or Thursday, but call me (gave me direct extension) to verify. Tried to call several times 07/23. Never got an answer at that extension. Decided to drop by. Actually talked to owner. Computer says we're out, but I don't believe it. Went back to look. Had every size, except the one I needed. Explained to him what had happened. He admitted that this was clearly a failure of their inventory system. Verified someplace else in town had them in-stock and said he would send a truck over to get some tomorrow. Gave me his direct extension to call to verify. Called 07/24. Got owner, yep, tire is in. Went to shop, they were waiting for me, got tire mounted in about an hour. Gave me web price ($8 off). Kudos to the owner for taking care of me and admitting that they had a problem. Incidentally, he also told me that the Denver store is the only place that can send 2nd day shipments, so when someone places an order via the web or phone and needs 2nd day shipping, the tires will come from the Denver store, not one of the warehouses. This contributes to them having problems keeping things in stock in the Denver store.

As some of you may have read elsewhere, contrary to a majority of the reviews of DMT, my experiences with them have been less than stellar. While I'm satisfied with the end result, getting there was not painless. This time, because I had some time to spare, I was willing to go with the flow and see what happened. Other places I checked wanted $40-$50 more for the same tire and couldn't mount it for several days so I had little to lose. If you call them, keep in mind that the local number seems to go to their call center. Make sure you let them know that you are in Denver and that you will be going to the Denver store to pickup your tire and/or have it mounted. If you don't, they simply look at the warehouse inventories to verify stock (might have plenty, but they may be in Timbuktu rather than at the Denver store). It may not be a bad idea to have someone at the store physically verify that the tire is in-stock before you drive over there. Also, be aware that the web prices are discounted about $8 from the in-store prices, so if you look at a price online, expect to pay $8 more at the store. Some sort of compensation for having to pay shipping when you order online. Not sure if that's completely legal or not, but that's the way it is (I seem to recall some other online retailers getting in trouble for doing this sort of thing a few years back, but I could be wrong).

In summary, while there is room for improvement in the customer service department, I'm not ready to give up on them yet.
    Nate
    '07 CBR600RR

DMT

I concur. They have great prices but poor customer service. They said that they would have my tires in one day. Two weeks later they finally came in. They blamed the distributor and never returned my phone calls. They also tried to charge me a higher price upon delivery. I will probably use them again since the prices are attractive and installation is priced right, but will plan for some agrivation.
    2003 Triumph E85 Ethanol Powered

Word, these guys have had the best tire prices around but they do need to iron out the wrinkels.

Making the world a safer place, through Psychokinesis
    This moment brought to you in part by WWW.BOXHEAD.US

I have usually picked up my tires from DMT. But lately, Performance has a better price than DMT on the Sportec M1. DMT wants 115 for the rear plus add the 8 local pick up and tax. I paid 104 + tax from Performance and had Marks Motorcycle Repair on old Hampden mount for 12 which is also cheaper than what DMT charges for off the bike mount and balance. The extra 8 fee is the thing that bugs me about DMT.
    Mike

01 RSVR Mille (street)
    04 RSVR Mille (race)

MRA #98

Suomy Helmets, TK Motorsports, Zero Gravity Windscreens, Morse Racing Products, Motul Lubricants,

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."
    John Wayne

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    Yeah, Performance and DMT have pretty close prices. Unfortunately Performance doesn't mount them, so you prolly waste the $ you save on tires driving around for somewhere to mount them. Mike, where is this shop you speak of on Hampden?
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

It's in the strip mall of auto repair shops just north of the Corvette dealer on Old Hampden west of Sante Fe. He mounted and balanced right away and at 12 bucks, worth it. The drive up to DMT isn't worth it for me, especilly to pay more for the tire and mounting, and the only other place I have used for mounts is Erico. Mark's is close enough to Performance that I can pick the tire up @ Performance and hit Mark's on the way back to work.
    Mike

01 RSVR Mille (street)
    04 RSVR Mille (race)

MRA #98

Suomy Helmets, TK Motorsports, Zero Gravity Windscreens, Morse Racing Products, Motul Lubricants,

John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by RSV4aCowboy
    on the Sportec M1.
    How do you like the Sportec? and do you get more than 3000 miles out of yours?

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    I think the Sportecs are an excellent street tire, but they really suck when you ride hard at the track. I never have problems with the front tire on the track, but I can't seem to get the rear to stick coming HARD out of corners. It's not like my bike is a "powerhouse" either.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

i'm getting about 3k out of the rear and closer to 5k out of the front tho' the track days I've been doing seem to be taking the front down much quicker. I'm at the wear bars on the outer part of the front tire and I may have 2500 on it.

I have nothing to compare them to on the track but on the street, they are much better than the 207 and Pirelli that the bike came with. They heat quickly and don't seem to fade. On the track, I agree with Hoopty about sliding the rear. It's only been the last two track days that I have noticed it sliding but so far, it has been a predictable slide which for me is good. I've raced sportscars and had some race tires that gave you no warning you were at their limits until after they broke loose and you busted your a$$. Others would gradually begin to slid and you could predict the limits better.
    Mike

01 RSVR Mille (street)
    04 RSVR Mille (race)

MRA #98

John Wayne

Good feedback, Thanx

these guys were pretty good to me except that there was no where near enough air in either tire. also they put my buddies tire on backwards, good prices though

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    I think they are mostly decent at DMT. we should talk to them about hooking us co members up with internet pricing locally...it might bring them more business, and save everyone money. I found their mounting and balancing to be good. My only gripe is that they did not reset my brakes when done, so I was in for a little surprise when trying to stop...slid right on out of their parking lot. All was ok, it was partially my own fault for not checking them first. My chain was also tighter than a piano wire...again, just something I had to re-adjust to my like.

I'm all for discounts...but if they can't mount tires properly or make sure that your bike is safe for riding when it leaves, no discount is big enough.
    2003 Triumph E85 Ethanol Powered

Discount sucks!!! I have been trying to buy boots there but they have been no help . They are way to busy working towards their showroom opening to bother keeping up on their stock or taking care of customers. I have given them three chances to sell me some boots. but apparently they dont want my money.I will gladly pay more somwhere else to get some customer service. I urge the rest of you to vote with your money and go somewhere else. Fuck Discount!!!