Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifting

Shifting

Alright just got my first streetbike last summer, gsxr 600 k5... Put a lil, over 4k miles from late August till i put it away just before thanksgiving. So im trying to soak up as much info as i can since im learning and will be for years to come. on to my question....

Clutchless shifting- Technique? pros? cons? will it damage or is it better for my bike? thx ahead of time for any input!

Re: Shifting

Good job, you have won today's "Can of Worms" award!
    haha
    There's a ton of debate on it. Yes it can damage your transmission. Yes you can put 200K on a transmission doing that without damage. Pros? Quicker shifting, slightly less clutch wear. Cons? Can easily screw up your gears/shift drum/forks.

Yeah kinda figured it would be mixed answers haha... Thats why im asking, heard many diff answers. Figured id give the forum a shot at it. Heard it was bad for it, even heard it was encouraged in the gsxr 750 k7 owners manual ( cant confirm that just heard it )

Man, I was thinking LITERALLY just yesterday how rare the color scheme in your avatar was...and how it was probably my favorite SB body ever.

I almost didnt buy the bike cuz of the color scheme... But man has it GROWN on me. I love it now. Get a lot of looks. thx

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Just search on clutchless and you'll find many discussions on the topic.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

ok thx dirk

I've used clutchless on both a Suzuki SV650 and a Hayabusa. Smoother shifting - if done right - and no damage. Your ability to sense when to shift and your actual physical ability to do it will determine the impact to your bike.
    Personally, it works great for me.

Fine for upshifting, assuming your technique is good. Not good for downshifting, unless you're riding a two-stroke dirt bike.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I upshift that way fairly often. But you have to be quick and good or else risk wearing out your shift forks etc.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

I've found that the gear-box in my r6 can do smooth shifts both directions with no clutch. The key is throttle control. It's easier to be smooth on the higher gears but if I blip the throttle just right, I can smoothly shift all the way up and back down from 2nd. Disclaimer: practicing this was possibly not a beginner skill, probably did cause at least a little excessive wear, and is definitely a good idea to make sure you can practice it out of traffic.
    Last edited by cptschlongenheimer; Wed Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: To please the censors
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    I've found that the delta-box in my r6 can do smooth shifts both directions with no clutch. The key is throttle control. It's easier to be smooth on the higher gears but if I blip the throttle just right, I can smoothly shift all the way up and back down from 2nd. Disclaimer: practicing this was possibly not a beginner skill, probably did cause at least a little excessive wear, and is definitely a good idea to make sure you can practice it out of traffic.
    +1 its all about timing.

I clutchless up-shift my racebike every time I shift. You can get away with clutchless down-shifting if you blip the throttle right. Normally, you don't want to do this because you want to feather out the clutch on down-shifts. Coming into the hairpin at Pueblo is a good example, where everything is happening so fast and you already have your speed down, a quick blip and down-shift.

I don't think you'll do any damage for clutchless up-shifting. Just apply slight pressure to the pedal, and roll off the throttle just a bit when you are ready to shift. Should slide right in.
    Casey D

Alright thx everyone for the input. Sounds like the wear on ur bike is dependant on ur skill at shiftin it right. I'll give it a try this summer n go from there...

Having a slipper clutch also aids with clutchless downshifting.

I shift up & down without the clutch on a regular basis but it's timing, rev matching, and understanding the situations. Shifting up or down while at a low rev is going to be more difficult and damaging.

Clutchless shifting, like many things on the bike, can make your riding faster and smoother but can also damage your bike if not done correctly or if done irresponsibly.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Even if you don't do it regularly, it's a good thing to understand how. You never know if you might break a clutch cable, lever, or lose a hydraulic clutch line. Being able to do clutchless shifting might get you home or out of the boonies.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    +1 its all about timing.

Just apply slight pressure to the pedal, and roll off the throttle just a bit when you are ready to shift. Should slide right in.
    +1
    as you approach the correct rev range (with slight pressure on the shifter) it should feel like the resistance on the shift lever briefly disappears (or gets significantly lighter).

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Having a slipper clutch also aids with clutchless downshifting.

I shift up & down without the clutch on a regular basis but it's timing, rev matching, and understanding the situations. Shifting up or down while at a low rev is going to be more difficult and damaging.

Clutchless shifting, like many things on the bike, can make your riding faster and smoother but can also damage your bike if not done correctly or if done irresponsibly.
    +1 again...

Another thing to note is that it is easier to hit a false neutral if you are doing this and fail to make all of your shifts nice quick, full-range motions.

A
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

I don't have an issue shifting in either direction without using the clutch. But then again, when I was taught how to drive a manual vehicle, I was taught that it's possible to drive it without using the clutch. My only issue is when I'm going between 1st and 2nd. If you're not solid with the shift, it's easy to get stuck in neutral, and catch the next gear in the wrong way.

I actually think it's way easier to learn this method at low RPMs, with a steady throttle, going like 25mph. I find it just as easy to shift at low RPM's as it is at high RPM's & high torque. But at low RPM's, it's much smoother and can be more forgiving if you don't shift quickly enough.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

i normally dont see a reason not to use the clutch when riding around, if i was on a track maybe but im never balls out racing someone on the street where i need the extra half second saved from a clutchless shift. ive done it but i dont mind pulling in the clutch, just incase..
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    I've found that the delta-box in my r6 can do smooth shifts both directions with no clutch.
    How does your frame have anything to do with smooth shifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Frame is connected to the gear box, therefore making the gear box smooth by association
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Frame is connected to the gear box, therefore making the gear box smooth by association

I only clutchless upshift on the track. I don't see a reason for it on the street, unless your clutch cable broke.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    That was supposed to be gear box. Just had a bit of a freudian moment @ 5:45 am. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

I find I clutchless shift a hell of a lot more on my dirt bike than on the street. It's more often I find I don't want to lose the handlebar grip to reach for the clutch.

And it's not that I make a point to do it on the street, I just find using the clutch is often an unnecessary step in a normal shift.
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I initially taught myself because I wanted to learn how to launch as quick as possible.
    (absolutely unnecessary on the street And a little bit reckless but still fun)
    I've found that in practice, I usually only use it when changing between higher gears while cruising, to adjust to changing traffic speeds/limits (if i happen to have the left hand off the bar when I need to shift).
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6