Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemons - coming back to CO

Lemons - coming back to CO

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/bfe2011.aspx

...If only there was a half crazed fully talented welder who could get a cage in a car for nothing, it would help if he was named after a Texas city.

...if only you had access to a network of racers who are already experienced with that track. Like maybe even one of them helped bolt the tire walls together for like every weekend.

...if only one or more of you were mechanics

...if only you could find a cheap car....

like this one

or this one

or this one

oh if only...
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Re: Lemons - coming back to CO

I'm currently trying to talk my co-workers into this now

I'd love to get in on this... But funds prohibit such endeavors!

I'd do it just to stay at the "Budget Host Inn"
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/bfe2011.aspx

...If only there was a half crazed fully talented welder who could get a cage in a car for nothing, it would help if he was named after a Texas city.

...if only you had access to a network of racers who are already experienced with that track. Like maybe even one of them helped bolt the tire walls together for like every weekend.

...if only one or more of you were mechanics

...if only you could find a cheap car....

like this one

or this one

or this one

oh if only...

OK SOCO Creeps. I have the car, and will offer it and outfit it with a rollcage of professional quaility if......
    The 5 other members of the team come up with everything else required to make and win this event. That includes all entry fees, gas, food & beverages, entertainment (professional, no crack whores), and all other incidental's.

I paid less than $500 for the car, so we are well within the spirt of the rules. It was actually owned @ one time by the OP of this thread, but he blew it up in a bout with maturity. Another SOCO crewmember and I rebuilt it as it sits now, in all its glory.Complete with real imitation sponser decals.
    For your veiwing pleasure........
    Last edited by Bashed; Tue Sep 13th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Oooooo.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

that is a good platform for that race.. those little cars can move.. its just missing a 8foot tall wing and 12in exhaust can lol maybe some stick on hood scoops..
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

damn i'd be down for helping out, maybe even driving?

i've got plenty of tools (just about $30k worth of snap on, lol) i was a mechanic for about 5 years before i joined the army. i also have a car trailer and an envoy i could help haul the car.

Well since the car and everything is down here I'm down for helping out/doing whatever is needed. Don't have any money right now but I can help in other ways!

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    OK SOCO Creeps. I have the car, and will offer it and outfit it with a rollcage of professional quaility if......
    The 5 other members of the team come up with everything else required to make and win this event. That includes all entry fees, gas, food & beverages, entertainment (professional, no crack whores), and all other incidental's.

I paid less than $500 for the car, so we are well within the spirt of the rules. It was actually owned @ one time by the OP of this thread, but he blew it up in a bout with maturity. Another SOCO crewmember and I rebuilt it as it sits now, in all its glory.Complete with real imitation sponser decals.
    For your veiwing pleasure........
    I can't tell you how happy I am you have that car.

OK. If you guys are serious, some teams I have run with charge $800 a seat. The cost of the car is $500 per car $100 per driver $75 for non-drivers. So with 4 drivers you are looking at $900 for entry.

Now, if you make each driver responsible for each car, Bash has just paid for his share of the entry. All you need is a cage and someone who can weld it in. Cages are $300 ish.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/948803K/10002/-1
    (you have to add the halo hoop & down bars on this.)

You will also need a drivers suit, shoes and gloves. Motorcycle helmets won't cut it. If you buy a single layer suit, I can get nomex underwear. (Courtesy if the USAF)

So you will need to drop some serious coin. But I have done it, and it is some fun. I would be happy to cough up my $500 to a part of this (if Uncle Sam will stop ruining my travel plans) Who else is in?
    Last edited by Mental; Sat Jan 29th, 2011 at 02:57 PM.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Still a little confused here: The car COST $500 AND there's a $500 fee to enter the car, plus that extra fee per driver/non driver? Or is it $900 flat and the more people the cheaper?

Is the point to get more cars involved or just to have people contribute to race this one and throw down on things like the cage, parts and other fees?

This whole thing sounds like it has the potential to be epic fun. I'm definitely interested, but I need more details before I can commit to anything.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/pricesandrules.aspx

The car has to cost less than $500. Or at least look like it does.

The cost to enter the race is $500 plus $100 per driver. With more drivers the cost does come down, but that the additional costs.

There is mandatory safety gear that is not included in the cost of the vehicle. The cage, personal gear, fire extinguisher, race seat etc.

I figure if you had 4 drivers come up with $500 each you could pay for the car, cage and entry if each driver pays their $100 per driver fee. If you got 6 dudes to pay, the cost of the race would be cheaper because it will still use the same amount of gas and the $500 entry fee is now split 6 ways

I figure the cost of entry will pale in comparison to the fuel bill.
    24 hours as fast as one can go but stay on the track is going to burn some fuel. The track is 1.25 miles, call it just for giggles a 1:30 lap time. @ 15 mpg at race pace, lets do the math. 40 laps per hour, = 50 miles per hour. 50 miles times 24 hours = 1200 miles. 1200 miles divided by 15 mpg = 80 gallons @ 3.50 per = $280. Not as bad as I thought. I figured it would be double that, easy.

So ,I can get the roll cage installed and the car stripped and prepped, thats actually fairly easy. It's just time & materials. Some extra parts like brake pads, oil, coolant, maybe a spare set or two of tires, go thru the motor and tune it and replace some parts like the belt, coolant hoses, check the clutch, the usual prerace stuff.
    I also have a travel trailer we can use to sleep in when not in the car driving, anda place for our pit and to eat and hang out.

It almost looks like each person is going to have to come up with about $500 to get this thing on the track. My $500 is the car, the other, if we have six total, thats $2500. There is the rest of the registration, $500. That leaves us $2000 to buy all the safety equipment, fuel, spare parts, food, transpatation costs, ect. That garentees you $ hours racing, unless somebody wrecks, (unactceptable), or the car fails to go the distance.

The car is in fair condition right now. I would drive it to Cali if I had to. It's the fuel inj model and since it weighs less than 2000 lbs, is is fairly spunky. I have it GPS verified over a hundred, and it still had some left. It is the stock 1.5L, 5 speed with a head rebuilt by Scott and myself with used parts and new timing belt. I figure gutting the car and adding the safety equipment will be a push on weight. It has a slow coolant leak, but that will be sorted in the prerace mechanicing. And no wing on the back, thats just wrong. I would be open for a front wing though.lol.

So, what say the collective?
    Last edited by Bashed; Sat Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

IIRC, the race at HPR is not a true 24 hour, it's only 14.5. So it would be around 220 - There, I already saved you all 60 smackers!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

id be willing to do the welding. just need a welder. i use to race go karts when i was a kid. does that count? lol
    Rooster

I figure the cost of entry will pale in comparison to the fuel bill.
    24 hours as fast as one can go but stay on the track is going to burn some fuel. The track is 1.25 miles, call it just for giggles a 1:30 lap time. @ 15 mpg at race pace, lets do the math. 40 laps per hour, = 50 miles per hour. 50 miles times 24 hours = 1200 miles. 1200 miles divided by 15 mpg = 80 gallons @ 3.50 per = $280. Not as bad as I thought. I figured it would be double that, easy.

So ,I can get the roll cage installed and the car stripped and prepped, thats actually fairly easy. It's just time & materials. Some extra parts like brake pads, oil, coolant, maybe a spare set or two of tires, go thru the motor and tune it and replace some parts like the belt, coolant hoses, check the clutch, the usual prerace stuff.
    I also have a travel trailer we can use to sleep in when not in the car driving, anda place for our pit and to eat and hang out.

It almost looks like each person is going to have to come up with about $500 to get this thing on the track. My $500 is the car, the other, if we have six total, thats $2500. There is the rest of the registration, $500. That leaves us $2000 to buy all the safety equipment, fuel, spare parts, food, transpatation costs, ect. That garentees you $ hours racing, unless somebody wrecks, (unactceptable), or the car fails to go the distance.

The car is in fair condition right now. I would drive it to Cali if I had to. It's the fuel inj model and since it weighs less than 2000 lbs, is is fairly spunky. I have it GPS verified over a hundred, and it still had some left. It is the stock 1.5L, 5 speed with a head rebuilt by Scott and myself with used parts and new timing belt. I figure gutting the car and adding the safety equipment will be a push on weight. It has a slow coolant leak, but that will be sorted in the prerace mechanicing. And no wing on the back, thats just wrong. I would be open for a front wing though.lol.

So, what say the collective?

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    IIRC, the race at HPR is not a true 24 hour, it's only 14.5. So it would be around 220 - There, I already saved you all 60 smackers!
    What he said
    Saturday, 9 July 2011
    7:30am: Gates open
    10am: Mandatory drivers' meeting
    11am-8pm: Race session I

Sunday, 10 July 2011
    7:30am: Gates open
    9am: Mandatory drivers' meeting
    9:30am-3pm: Race session II
    noon: People's Curse
    3pm: Checkered flag
    3:30pm: Awards

40 laps per hour, = 50 miles per hour. 50 miles times 14.5 hours = 725 miles. 725 miles divided by 15 mpg = 48.3 gallons, call it 50 @ 3.50 per = $175

I'm not joking Bash, I'm in. If I am stateside I am there. The other team I do this with has a paypall account and everyone chunks in there money to that, then you can get a paypal debit card to buy stuff with.

The entry deadline is April 30th. For those of us on a budget, that's about $175 a month. Take the extra $$ and buy some egg beaters, burgers and water to keep for the team.
    Last edited by Mental; Sun Jan 30th, 2011 at 04:40 PM.

Mental,
    Ok, will keep us posted on the deployment thing.
    I thought it was a true 24 hour thing, that schedule makes it alot easier.

Mutant squirrel,
    We have the welding all sorted out. Dallas and I went in together on a shop and have everything we need to build this car, or go buy it like the dom tubing. We have a mig/tig welder and a tubing bender even. Thanks for your offer, if we need some help we will give you a ring.

Till then I will keep this open for anybody wanting to join our group. I would assume 3 spots are taken already. Race on.

Mental,
    Ok, will keep us posted on the deployment thing.
    I thought it was a true 24 hour thing, that schedule makes it alot easier.

Mutant squirrel,
    We have the welding all sorted out. Dallas and I went in together on a shop and have everything we need to build this car, or go buy it like the dom tubing. We have a mig/tig welder and a tubing bender even. Thanks for your offer, if we need some help we will give you a ring.

Till then I will keep this open for anybody wanting to join our group. I would assume 3 spots are taken already. Race on.
    im available most weekends to help out if you need it.
    Rooster

I would assume I am 1 of the 3 assumed spots. This sounds pretty bad ass........

Just need to know what kind of safety gear to start putting together.

There's no place like home............

damn...too bad my location and your location aren't closer...I was talking to my roommate about building something for this

Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    I would assume I am 1 of the 3 assumed spots. This sounds pretty bad ass........

Just need to know what kind of safety gear to start putting together.

Yes pardner, I vollunteered your welding rig. Nice guy that I am.
    Safety gear, hah, we dont need no, wait, yes we do, nevermind.
    Start looking for some 1.5 dom and a seat with a harness to start.
    I'll start looking for a turbo.

"your car may be destroyed at any time"....hhahaha! might have to get in on this in some way
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

If I get the new job I will participate. If I don't, I won't be around COS much for the next 6 months and it would feel weird tossing money at you and only showing up to race.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    If I get the new job I will participate. If I don't, I won't be around COS much for the next 6 months and it would feel weird tossing money at you and only showing up to race.
    So do you feel weird when you open the car door, toss money at me and tell me to get out?

There's no place like home............