Thread: Stoked for my new tire!

Stoked for my new tire!

Ordered a Trailmax TR91 for the DR650

Money's tight and can't get past the low mileage out of knobbies. Fortunately it's not that muddy on the trails around here (especially this year) so I'm hoping this will do alright for me.

Have worn the Trailwing smooth on the rear and will continue to run a half-tread Trailwing on the front. I should have the front pollished off by the fall season. Local guy wanted MSRP, $85 more than Amazon so unfortunately I had to send the purchase out of state

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J2RM0G
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Re: Stoked for my new tire!

Just had to share with someone. The wife wasn't nearly as excited as I am.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I'm going to go the other direction with the XR, from the Trail Wings to the Michelin T63 and see how that works. I like the Wings on the asphalt but I'm looking for more bite in the dirt and mud.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I'm going to go the other direction with the XR, from the Trail Wings to the Michelin T63 and see how that works. I like the Wings on the asphalt but I'm looking for more bite in the dirt and mud.
    Understandable for sure. I too had no issue with the 'wings. I think if the money situation was a little more free, I'd have two rear wheels with different rubber style on each and run something like the 'wing on front since fronts last pretty long anyway.

1999 DR650SE

I'm thinking about the K60 Scout. Seems like a good 60/40
    Last edited by Sean; Sat May 18th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Ordered a Trailmax TR91 for the DR650

Money's tight and can't get past the low mileage out of knobbies. Fortunately it's not that muddy on the trails around here (especially this year) so I'm hoping this will do alright for me.

Have worn the Trailwing smooth on the rear and will continue to run a half-tread Trailwing on the front. I should have the front pollished off by the fall season. Local guy wanted MSRP, $85 more than Amazon so unfortunately I had to send the purchase out of state

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J2RM0G

You don't do much off road riding do you!!!

I went with the Desert IT myself

That TR91 doesn't look like it'll be that great offroad, but that's just a judgment on its cover. The K60 and the TR63 look like a great mix tire. Guess it depends on how much time of each terrain the tire sees.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I'm a big fan of the Michelin Anakee!

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Michelin Anakee!
    I hadn't looked at that one or I would probably have gone that route. $15 cheaper and they have the OEM size for DR650. All-well....

1999 DR650SE

guess that's what I get for not starting another, "what's the best tire" thread

1999 DR650SE

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

guess that's what I get for not starting another, "what's the best tire" thread

I put on the DL650 I'm building a Shinko 705 rear and a Mefo Explorer front.
    Should be good for a 80% street/dirt ratio. The Shinko's are amazingly good in the dirt. Hook up reasonably and good stick on the asfault. Inexpensive @ around $72 for a 150/17. I have the Mefo on the front of my CRF and am pleased with it even in the singletrack. For a 50/50 tire that lasts I'm sold. They cost a bit more than a dirt type tire but they last a long time. On my CRF in the rear I have been running the MotoZ ht desert. They are an all rubber tire from down under. Far and away the longest lasting dirt rear that actually hooks up. That bike goes thru rear tires like my 1000rr, fast. Any tire is better than the bald on you had on there, slipping and sliding thru the ice fields this winter. I hope they work out well for your type of riding, only you know what is best for you after a bit of research. See you out on the trails.
    Bash
    Last edited by Bashed; Fri Apr 8th, 2011 at 05:43 PM.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Any tire is better than the bald on you had on there, slipping and sliding thru the ice fields this winter. I hope they work out well for your type of riding, only you know what is best for you after a bit of research. See you out on the trails.
    Bash
    Thanks for the post.

yea, I've worn that one smooth all the way around. I'll have to post up some pics later this week after the new one is on.

1999 DR650SE

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Thanks for the post.

yea, I've worn that one smooth all the way around. I'll have to post up some pics later this week after the new one is on.
    Sounds good, I'm going to post another D/S ride soon, we will get out and have some fun.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

1999 DR650SE

Dude, that's one clean DR!

Most of the ones I've seen were beat to shit (even if the owners thought they owned the nicest 650 in the world).

thanks for the kind words. I must admit; that is her good side and she's not completely without "character".

1999 DR650SE