Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I knew I was a Chevy Girl!

Re: I knew I was a Chevy Girl!

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    I always liked this pic...not necessarily relevant, but still kinda cool, especially for a cummins fan like myself.
    HAHA!! yep

That's the other thing I always liked about the Cummins as well. It makes almost as much power(compared to the 2010-11 trucks, in the past it's made more) as the others and does it with "two less" cylinders.

Another notable mention for the Cummins driveshaft is that on the new 6.7's they asked owners with 200k+ miles on their trucks to submit their driveshafts to Cummins for an evaluation. They took a driveshaft with 250k on it, put it in the assembly line and it still passed inspection for a "NEW" driveshaft. Not to mention Cummins has 40% less moving parts in the motor as well(i.e. Longevity )

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    While I agree with you on the proven longevity of the Cummins, the Scorpion is a brand new engine. Who knows how it'll do over the years. I'd take the super duty over the other 2 any day.
    I don't know, the Scorpion is a brand brand new motor. It's bound to have bugs(being in the Powerstroke vein) in it. Plus GM and Ford are having to meet to new 2010 Emission standards and are both having DPF issues. At least the Cummins 6.7 is just a punched out 5.9(proven design) with the Emissions crap added on to it. Not saying that Dodge hasn't had DPF issues but they've had since 07.5 to fix them and the new 2010-11 trucks seem to have finally gotten the DPF issues fixed(thanks to Dodge having Cummins involved with the new design for the DPF).

Ford makes a nice truck but they have a bad track record with the Powerstroke. Everyone I've known(with the exception of two guys) that's had a Stroker has hated them. And it ain't for performance issues, it's mechanical. I know there's good Strokers out there, I've yet to see many of them though. With the Cummins it's reversed. You don't see bad ones and when you do, it's rare and usually due to driver abuse.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Tue Feb 1st, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Too bad the Cummins is stuck in a dodge. Great engine but the rest of the truck is shit.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Tylar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    Too bad the Cummins is stuck in a dodge. Great engine but the rest of the truck is shit.
    +1.
    -Tylar

2009: 2009 GSXR 600 *wifey's*
    2010: 2008 YZF-R1

Ideal truck? Ford body, Chevy Tranny, Dodge Motor...

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Moved to Automotive forum.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

The truth. Brennahm speaks it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    The truth. Brennahm speaks it.
    I'm a Dodge guy but dangit Brennahm you nailed it with that.

I've been researching trucks lately and this is good to know.

"Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful, hate me because I'm better than you, better yet, hate me because I'm fuckin bad ass!!!"

Now that I'd have to disagree to some extent with. Ford's are nice but I like Dodge's bodies as well. As far as trans go, I'm not the biggest fan of the Allison and here's why. Most of my experience with Allison's have been in Commercial grade vehicles and I have to be honest, I hate those transmissions. They gear find like no other. Several times I've been hauling in our tandem that's got an Allison, and on a flat surface it's continually gear chasing. And I hate it going up a grade, always shifts too soon but I realize it's probably due to the transmissions gearing. The tandem I've driven is only 5 speed, and really it needs a 6th or an 8 speed. The 5 speeds trannys are way to tall.

Now in the Light Duty trucks(1 ton and under) the Allison is a o.k. trans. I'd still take Dodge's 68RFE over it any day. May not be as strong as the Allison, but comparing my 6 speed to my friends 5 speed Allison and his seems to gear chase at times. Mine won't and I'm not just saying this cause I own it, it truly doesn't gear chase.

Now my 07 5.9 Cummins with the 48RE(4 Speed) would gear chase, so I'd have to run around in tow/haul all the time. And the gear chasing in my friends 5 speed Allison is probably due to it being a 5 and not a 6 speed. The more gears you've got, the more evenly matched the trans gears are(to some extent). Ultimately, it's the gears in the ass end of the truck that will determine how much gear finding it will do. Because even with my 3.73's to his 3.83's(mine being taller, being numerically lower) mine still has shorter trans gearing.

Lastly, up until this year(2011) GM and Ford always made their torque at higher rpm than the Cummins(usually make their torque a good 700 rpm sooner). But you'll always get a lower rpm torque delivery from an Inline 6 vs. the V8's.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I meant the interiors of the trucks. I HATE Ford (don't ask why, not necessarily reasonable about it) but their interiors new vs. new are definitely the nicest. Haven't sat in a 2010 Dodge but anything older is without a doubt cheesier/cheaper/crappier.

Trannies? I'd buy a Dodge with manual, but for autos I've talked to too many non Allisons that've shredded. The Allison is simply stronger, can't convince me otherwise.

I have to edit my statement because of how Black Knight said his... Ford Chassis with a Dodge Body (except for the horrendous dually wheelwells), Dodge motor, and Chevy Allison tranny. (Unless I was going manual then I'd go with the Dodge tranny as well.)