Thread: 2010/11 Chevy Avalanche?

2010/11 Chevy Avalanche?

Anyone have any personal experience with these vehicles? My dad wants one and apparently I got drafted to help shop and research.

Not that I mind, but I've never been a Chevy fan so I know nothing about these vehicles.

I've hear good things about the the 5.3L engine w/ the variable cylinder firing and what not.

Thoughts, opinions, mindless factoids?
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Re: 2010/11 Chevy Avalanche?

I like em. Based on the Suburban/Tahoe platform. Clint(with the CBR1k) has an older one and he really likes it. I have the aluminum version of the variable displacement 5.3 and I like it, too. - No problems despite my abuse. I would totally buy an Avalanche; especially the new style with the 6sp tranny.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Not that it amounts to much but I drove an older one (2007 or earlier, don't recall the exact model year) pulling a 4-horse trailer once (had 2 horses loaded). It did the job just fine and I came away with a pretty positive view of the vehicle. But that was near sea-level on relatively flat land, not pulling 28K pounds from Dillon to the tunnel and back.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Personally, I think they're hideous, but I've always been a fan of the later model GMC trucks and the Tahoe. So long as you don't put 24 inch chrome rims on it you should be fine. Guy I work with did that, destroyed the tranny and blew out the suspension on the front end, had to have everything replaced.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

There will be no pimping of this ride. My dad wants a base model without all the electro-crap. just 4WD. He's always had a truck of some sort and uses it like a truck. Well, as they are getting older he no longer does contract work and is looking for something that can fit 4 adults comfortably and pull the pop-up camper. They borrowed my dodge last summer for a few weeks and really liked the size and ability but he just doesn't want a pickup truck anymore.

I hated the older half plastic Avalanche's, but the new ones look much better IMO.

Thanks Dirk.... I don't see him doing any heavy pulling up I-70. My camper doesn't weigh anything close to 28K!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

i like them, well the newer ones, i never was to much of a fan of the older models, way to much plastic, plastic everything doesnt scream 4X4 but i like the newer ones for sure!
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

^^ I asked him about off roading and, quite frankly, he's not interested. The most off road it would get would be a forest service road... certainly nothing serious.

well then he should be ok.. i have a few friends that have them, i will ask them if they have/had problems with them..
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Drove one a few years back, and every time I would turn a corner, it was impossible to keep the inside rear tire on the ground in acceleration. I've been driving trucks my entire life, I just didn't like the way that truck handled. But that was a 2005 version
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

I love my 08 GMC Sierra. Not really sold on the looks of the back half but i like everything in life, there is compromises.I have the 6.0l vmax engine, and I can say without a doubt it is a rocket. Plenty of torque pulling my travel trailer thats weighs 5k. Not that much weight, but I went over Raton Pass as fast as I wanted, which actually shocked me. Get it he'll like it.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Dad picked one up and loves it. I finally got to drive it and I have to admit that I was impressed. It's a nice truck.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Dad picked one up and loves it. I finally got to drive it and I have to admit that I was impressed. It's a nice truck.
    I'm sure its better than my dad's Ridgeline.

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    He was looking at one of those originally... I talked him out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    Not saying much... Those things have horrible reputations!

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    He was looking at one of those originally... I talked him out of it.
    Good job!

You guys don't have to tell me how much ridgelines suck, I drove my dad's "truck" and will have another opportunity this weekend.

you seem ever so excited...