Thread: ALL DOGS OWNERS PLEASE READ: Sugarless gum can kill

ALL DOGS OWNERS PLEASE READ: Sugarless gum can kill

The ingriedient Xylitol which is in many Sugarless gums and dental products can be toxic to dogs. The vet told me as few as 5 sticks of gum could have killed my 52 pound bulldog, so wanted to makl people aware because I had no clue.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

I just found this out when my bulldog ate a pack of gum. Luckily he didn't chew the gum with this Xylitol, so he just got an upset stomach and sick, but livesd through it.

I will research later what gums and products have this ingredient so we can all avoid them that have dogs. Anyone finds them please post a list.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: ALL DOGS OWNERS PLEASE READ: Sugarless gum can kill

My vet told me the same thing about chocolate. Kona would eat chocolate all the time and even had a glass of chocolate milk with me every morning before I went to work. I wonder about them vet's, sometimes...

Anyway, all the shit that is in our food, now, is toxic to us as well!!! It's getting to where I can barley eat anymore. Everything has a chemical taste to me.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Yeah I have heard the chocolate thing before and even seen dogs eat it and be fine, but this Xylitol was totally new to me and seems to be very toxic and you have very little time to get your dog to the vet before it causes liver failure.

Little dogs can die from just a couple sticks of gum and I think we all just leave gum around not thinking much about it. I did....

Either way, glad you're dog is okay!!!

My friends little poodle ate a whole bag of Hershey's Kisses. When he got home from work, the dog was on it's back, feet in the air, bloated like Rush Limbaugh after a Thanksgiving dinner!! Took it to the vet and the dog was fine, other than "over consumption".

Kona ate a whole chicken, once. Bones and all (you know, that hollow bone thing)!!! My brother had a poodle-schnauzer mix that ate cigarette butts and aluminum foil on a regular basis. We know this because it was in his shit! lol
    Kim & Dean

Haha, I've got a wolf-hybrid that once jumped up on the counter, walked across the kitchen sink, and snatched the whole chicken we hid on top of the refrigerator. He managed to eat a few of these whole, and never had a problem. I also used to give him whole bones two feet wide and 3-4 inches thick and he would EAT them. Oh yeah, he also would tear out fence boards, piece by piece, and eat those too. Never a problem, iron stomach or something.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Either way, glad you're dog is okay!!!

My friends little poodle ate a whole bag of Hershey's Kisses. When he got home from work, the dog was on it's back, feet in the air, bloated like Rush Limbaugh after a Thanksgiving dinner!! Took it to the vet and the dog was fine, other than "over consumption".

Kona ate a whole chicken, once. Bones and all (you know, that hollow bone thing)!!! My brother had a poodle-schnauzer mix that ate cigarette butts and aluminum foil on a regular basis. We know this because it was in his shit! lol
    Yeah, our furry garbage disposal eats cigarettes, lighters, yarn/string, frizbees, spiders, couches, blankets, paper...she's like a frigging goat minus the horns.

Worst she's ever done is eaten something (we still don't know what) that was bad for her in her laundry room once (I'm guess bug or spiders). She covered the floor in puke, but by the time we got home, she was happy like nothing happened...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Another one that will give your dog a TKO are grapes.
    One grape per lb will equal death pretty fast.
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Chewing gums containing Xylitol.

The two most notable in the United States are Trident and Stride, sugar-free varieties

1. B-Fresh, Spry, Xponent, Xylichew,Trident, Stride

Best list I found of products tghat contain Xylitol
    http://www.docstoc.com/docs/54875510...s-2010---ocdhs

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

There are a variety of things that can be toxic. Here is a good discussion of various things can get your pooch sick:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dtoxin.html

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Airreed View Post
    Another one that will give your dog a TKO are grapes.
    One grape per lb will equal death pretty fast.
    Haven't heard that one, before. Kona loved grapes!! He would eat twenty or thirty at a time...
    Kim & Dean

My dog will be lucky if I don't force feed her grapes, sugarless gum, and chocolate chips tonight...

Dean-
    Kona must have a iron stomach...My vet thinks my Weimarner ate a munch of grapes which caused his kidney's to fail in about a week... I think my neighbor poisoned him....
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Dean-
    Kona must have a iron stomach...My vet thinks my Weimarner ate a munch of grapes which caused his kidney's to fail in about a week... I think my neighbor poisoned him....
    Wow, I am sorry to hear that If you need help with some "payback" let me know. I give you props for not going crazy on your neighbor; I would have lost it!

Yeah it is weird that some dogs can stomach things and others can't. I've heard of dogs eating chocolate and being fine and others ding from it. My dog usually can handle alot, but thise sugarless ingredients made him very sick for days...

I've never heard of the grape thing. When I have frozen grapes in the house and my pup loves them.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I've fed Abbey grapes before & she was fine. She didn't much care for them, but I think it's b/c she didn't realize they were food for a while. But, as mentioned earlier, that dog could eat a damned phone book and be fine
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Dean-
    Ah, that sucks!!!
    Kim & Dean