Thread: Getting Salvage title bike Street legal

Getting Salvage title bike Street legal

Ok, how can I get a Salvage title bike back to street legal, salvage due to theft, no wrecks. MA salvage title, and I'll be moving to CO soon. I have all street parts. In MA its a PITA to get it streetable again. I need to get insurance report and buy all new parts for everything damaged or stolen, then get it inspected by the state certified shop. If I were to do that, I'da spent over 6grand for new parts. Current parts I have are all in good shape with a few scratches here and there. What is the policy in CO to get it street legal again? Thanks for any help.

Re: Getting Salvage title bike Street legal

First off, do you have an actual certificate of salvage (it's a salvage title that's non-registerable)? Second off, what state is it in? If it's not Colorado, you might be boned, or at least it'll make things harder.

I'm not sure I'm clear on how it's salvage from theft, not a wreck...Are you saying that the pieces of the bike were stolen off of it? Or the bike was stolen and was starting to be parted out?

The process basically consists of making the bike street legal (it runs, horn, lights, mirror), then getting a VIN inspection along with your roadworthy inspection. You take that down to the DMV and change it out for a salvage title.

Is the cert in your name? If not, you need to transfer the title/cert to your name so that you have a CO cert/title. Then get it inspected & they'll do the registerable salvage title.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I'm guessing it was stolen in MA and wrecked. According to MA law you have to fix/repair everything that was damaged to get it streetable again right?
    Here in CO if it has a headlight, taillight/brakelight, turn signals, and of course unbroken/working brake/clutch/shift levers you should be fine.
    Then get it inspected for a salvage/rebuilt title and go from there.
    You might want to PM CaneZach though as he'll probably know the law on that better than most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    First off, do you have an actual certificate of salvage (it's a salvage title that's non-registerable)? Second off, what state is it in? If it's not Colorado, you might be boned, or at least it'll make things harder.

I'm not sure I'm clear on how it's salvage from theft, not a wreck...Are you saying that the pieces of the bike were stolen off of it? Or the bike was stolen and was starting to be parted out?

The process basically consists of making the bike street legal (it runs, horn, lights, mirror), then getting a VIN inspection along with your roadworthy inspection. You take that down to the DMV and change it out for a salvage title.

Is the cert in your name? If not, you need to transfer the title/cert to your name so that you have a CO cert/title. Then get it inspected & they'll do the registerable salvage title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    I'm guessing it was stolen in MA and wrecked. According to MA law you have to fix/repair everything that was damaged to get it streetable again right?
    Here in CO if it has a headlight, taillight/brakelight, turn signals, and of course unbroken/working brake/clutch/shift levers you should be fine.
    Then get it inspected for a salvage/rebuilt title and go from there.
    You might want to PM CaneZach though as he'll probably know the law on that better than most of us.

First off, there was no wreck involved. Lot of parts were stolen, frame scratched (tiny scratch when they broke the clip-ons), and fairings scratched up, bolt heads stripped etc. Total bill to repair and replace parts was ~$6500, so insurance totaled it being over 75% of actual value.

MA salvage title is in my name already. I have all the street parts that I bought off forums to replace everything. Issue in MA is that I need receipts for all the parts, so tough luck there other than some ingenuity proposed by someone about "creating receipts" which obviously is not the right/legal way, so thats outta the door.

So I have a fully functional street bike but cant get it registered/certified in MA. In TX, like you said, its the same, headlight, brake lights, horn, good running condition and it can be recertified. I'll try and pm CaneZach like you suggested and go from there.

You shouldn't have a problem registering it here. Colorado is fairly easy to get thing through.

I've already taken payment on the bike as a track bike to someone in CA, thing is, he wants to back out of the deal leaving me with the bike. I have no problems sending him a refund minus some costs and keeping the bike as long as I can get it recertified for the streets in CO, hence my questions.

Thanks folks

Thats like a hole in one, thanks for all the info. Maybe I'll keep my bike and refund the buyer minus some costs of course. It seems pretty easy to change back to street legal just like in TX.

I am from Maine but most of my family is from MA. I love how they make dumb laws in MA. As for CO, you should not have trouble as long as you have an actual title.

thanks everyone, if the buyer wants to back out of hte deal, then yeah, I'll bring it with me to CO, if not, I'll just buy another one lol.

Junior Member Yearly Supporter kjohnston1979's Avatar

im in same situation im trying to get mine done also dont need salvage title need to go to dmv records and do a title lean search if there is no lean get vin inspection by state patrole then ya need to get a appraisal then finally get a bond for twice the appraised value guy i bought it from had almost all done i got appraisal and bond and they told me i had to do it all over in my name lol be doing it when its warm so i can take to state patrol good thing seller left tags on for me they good till march

Quote Originally Posted by kjohnston1979 View Post
    im in same situation im trying to get mine done also dont need salvage title need to go to dmv records and do a title lean search if there is no lean get vin inspection by state patrole then ya need to get a appraisal then finally get a bond for twice the appraised value guy i bought it from had almost all done i got appraisal and bond and they told me i had to do it all over in my name lol be doing it when its warm so i can take to state patrol good thing seller left tags on for me they good till march
    Dude....punctuation is your friend.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

^And grammar.
    As for that like they said it's not hard to get a rebuilt title here in CO. Get the basics on, like turn signals, mirrors, brake/head/tail lights, and a horn and you should be golden.

So I sold the bike as a track only bike. Now I bought another one is Dallas and will get it shipped to CO. Its another 08 R6.

Quote Originally Posted by r6rammy View Post
    MA salvage title is in my name already. I have all the street parts that I bought off forums to replace everything. Issue in MA is that I need receipts for all the parts, so tough luck there other than some ingenuity proposed by someone about "creating receipts" which obviously is not the right/legal way, so thats outta the door.
    If you purchased stuff from a forum there should be an email thread, which could constitute a receipt. I would suspect MA would acknowledge that a receipt is anything that you paid money and got something back, or is there more to the receipt requirement than just having a receipt?
    Last edited by fasterlaster; Tue Feb 22nd, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fasterlaster View Post
    If you purchased stuff from a forum there should be an email thread, which could constitute a receipt. I would suspect MA would acknowledge that a receipt is anything that you paid money and got something back, or is there more to the receipt requirement than just having a receipt?
    The receipt needs to be from a business apparently, not individual sellers, I asked at the inspection place to the local sheriff that does the inspections.