Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's do some math...

Let's do some math...

THE PROBLEM:
    The topic is gas prices. The problem is my truck.

First off, I need my truck to haul motorcycles. I sold the bus and now I NEED the truck.

After 6 months of tracking fill ups and changing driving habits, I know for a fact that my truck gets 13.5 MPG.

My commute from home to work then back home is exactly 27 miles.

Driving 5 times a week, I look at a minimum of 135 miles per week in commuting. Add on the miscellaneous driving miles for errands and I look at roughly 150 miles per week.

150 miles / 13.5 mpg = 11.1 gallons per week.
    At the current gas price of $3.20, that amounts to $35 per week in gas, which amounts to about $140 per month in gas for the truck.

If the speculators who are speculatin' be correct, the gas prices could reach $4.50 to $5.00 mid summer. This is unsustainable for me.

THE OPTIONS:

Option 1: Buy a DRZ400SM.

Current prices on a DRZ run around $4,500. The DRZ gets on average 50 mpg even driving like a fool.

In the current scenario, 150 miles / 50 mpg = 3 gallons per week.
    3 gal x $3.20 = $9 per week. Per month we are looking at a fuel cost of $36 dollars.

That is a savings over the truck of $104 per month. That means, it would take 45 months for the DRZ to pay for itself, assuming I get a ZERO interest loan which doesn't exist. However, you can only ride the DRZ for roughly 8 - 9 months out of the year in Denver. So I would be looking at 5-6 years of commuting in order to pay off my investment.

Option 2: Sell truck, buy older truck and older car

Option 3: Cry myself to sleep.

So the almighty CSC, what do you think? Should I suck it up and pay 75 bucks to fill up my tank, or go into more debt and pay 6 dollars to fill up my tank?

Re: Let's do some math...

Suck it up! I'm paying $120 right now to fill up.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I'm facing a similar problem. I have a 1500 which averages around 17MPG. I think I'm going to trade it in for something else, mid-size probably. I'm not quite sure what to do either... I'm inclined to do nothing and suck it up.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I think you need to stop being a little bitch and ride the DRZ year round. 8-9 months my ass.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Not knowing your particulars, here are a couple of options.
    1. Trade truck for something like a RAV4 (V6) and buy a trailer. These little toyotas get good gas mileage and have the oomphf to tow with. Friend of mine tows a small horse trailer with no issues.
    2. Trade truck for smaller truck with room to haul bikes and better gas mileage.
    3. Trade truck for old truck (something you can pick you for low cost) and put difference into fuel.

The new DRZ isn't a financially sound option. However, it is a very attractive option :-)

On the DRZ option, have you checked around for used? Or maybe just get a used DR?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I think you need to stop being a little bitch and ride the DRZ year round. 8-9 months my ass.
    lol. I can't always be as hardcore as you wicky. I could try.

You can find a DRZ for more/less $3500 these days.

If the speculators who are speculatin'
    A++++ would laugh at again
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Do not forget the extra insurance / registration / maintenance on the DRZ.
    I've done the math a few times myself, and it is NOT cheaper to own a bike. Especially with your short commute. The best bet is to trade in on the smallest truck you need.

IF you do it... I would recommend a dirt-version. The tires are cheaper and you can save further money by changing the tires yourself.

Now...
    If you want to include Psychologist bills and Anti-Depressants into the equation, then that DRZ is CHEAP.

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

This is how i became a rider...
    Several years ago when my commute was 27 miles each way, I had a gas guzzler pickup and my buddy was selling his EX500 for cheap... bought it for a grand and saved enough that first year to pay for it.

My vote is go for a good condition used ride. If you spend ~$2k it'll pay off in two summers. I have a feeling that cheap gas is probably only a fond memory at this point....
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

We'll probably be sitting around this summer. Truck gets 14mpg at best and down to 7.5 when we hook up the fifth wheel. Diesel will most likely be $5.00/gal. or more...
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Wed Mar 2nd, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Don't forget the other expenses involved in purchasing a vehicle. Taxes, registration, plates, etc. That can really help jack up the cost, and make it not worth it.

I bought a Ninja 250 a few years back, and during the summer, it would pay for itself if I rode it every day. But that didn't include the additional expenses on top of payment. Tires, oil changes, etc. Don't forget monthly insurance costs. And, of course, you're putting fewer miles on the primary vehicle, which equals less maintenance there.

Based on $5.00/gal prices, you'll spend about $85/mo more, at $5 per gallon. If you can find something that will get you a bike or other gas sipper for $85/mo, I say it's worth it. That is, if gas prices actually go up to $5.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I did the math a while back when someone said they were going to buy a Prius in order to save $$$ on gas. Granted, the cost/benefit analysis is going to be different between a $30K Prius and a $4k DRZ, but let's take a look at it.

You're out going costs, not counting maintenance-related costs such as tires, oil changes, etc., are going to be daily/weekly/whatever cost of gas and the initial outlay for the bike.

Let's assume you're going to run mid-grade gas in your truck or DRZ and you get the gas for an average of $3.25 a gallon. In your truck, you average 13.5 MPG, or two gallons every workday going to and coming home from work. Since the 13.5 MPG average is based on a decent time-frame (6 mos), we can assume time spent idling in traffic is included. You spend roughly $6.50 to $7.00 in fuel costs everyday you go to work. Assuming you work 5 days a week, you're spending $32.50 to $35 a week in gas. Over the course of a year (assuming 50 work weeks to account for holidays, sick time, and any vacation), you're spending, at a MINIMUM, $1625 to $1750 a year on gas alone.

By comparison, the DRZ gets 50 MPG. To be safe, we'll lower the fuel efficiency to 45 MPG to account for any idling or aggressive use lol. You're commute is 27 miles, or 135 miles a week. That means you'll need 3 gallons of fuel a week, or about $10 a week in fuel. Over the same 50 weeks, you'll have spent a whopping $500, so you'll be spending about $1100 to $1200 less, which means you're bike will "pay for itself" somewhere between 3 years 4 months and 3 years 7 months.

I don't now what your registration costs are, but I can tell you your initial registration on the DRZ will likely be much higher than the continuing registration on the truck because you'll be paying for sales tax. Subsequent years will likely be lower because the ownership tax and registration you pay every year will be based on a lower taxable value, assuming your truck isn't a POS.

Insurance on the DRZ will be lower, as long as we're comparing full coverage to full coverage and liability to liability.
    Last edited by CaneZach; Wed Mar 2nd, 2011 at 09:40 AM.

Get a closer job!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by httc84 View Post
    Not knowing your particulars, here are a couple of options.
    1. Trade truck for something like a RAV4 (V6) and buy a trailer. These little toyotas get good gas mileage and have the oomphf to tow with. Friend of mine tows a small horse trailer with no issues.
    2. Trade truck for smaller truck with room to haul bikes and better gas mileage.
    3. Trade truck for old truck (something you can pick you for low cost) and put difference into fuel.

The new DRZ isn't a financially sound option. However, it is a very attractive option :-)

On the DRZ option, have you checked around for used? Or maybe just get a used DR?
    I thought about the small SUV / trailer idea. Problem is those small SUV's still get about 19-20mpg, and for the same price as my truck, I would need to look at one with A LOT more mileage than I currently have on my Dakota (65k).

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    You can find a DRZ for more/less $3500 these days.

A++++ would laugh at again
    DRZ's are in short supply right now. Where is that dude who has the tree in his backyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Do not forget the extra insurance / registration / maintenance on the DRZ.
    I've done the math a few times myself, and it is NOT cheaper to own a bike. Especially with your short commute. The best bet is to trade in on the smallest truck you need.

IF you do it... I would recommend a dirt-version. The tires are cheaper and you can save further money by changing the tires yourself.

Now...
    If you want to include Psychologist bills and Anti-Depressants into the equation, then that DRZ is CHEAP.
    Talked with my insurance agent a few weeks ago and had him pull a quote on a DRZ for shats. $22 per month full coverage. Registration is about $65.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    I did the math a while back when someone said they were going to buy a Prius in order to save $$$ on gas. Granted, the cost/benefit analysis is going to be different between a $30K Prius and a $4k DRZ, but let's take a look at it.

You're out going costs, not counting maintenance-related costs such as tires, oil changes, etc., are going to be daily/weekly/whatever cost of gas and the initial outlay for the bike.

Let's assume you're going to run mid-grade gas in your truck or DRZ and you get the gas for an average of $3.25 a gallon. In your truck, you average 13.5 MPG, or two gallons every workday going to and coming home from work. Since the 13.5 MPG average is based on a decent time-frame (6 mos), we can assume time spent idling in traffic is included. You spend roughly $6.50 to $7.00 in fuel costs everyday you go to work. Assuming you work 5 days a week, you're spending $32.50 to $35 a week in gas. Over the course of a year (assuming 50 work weeks to account for holidays, sick time, and any vacation), you're spending, at a MINIMUM, $1625 to $1750 a year on gas alone.

By comparison, the DRZ gets 50 MPG. To be safe, we'll lower the fuel efficiency to 45 MPG to account for any idling or aggressive use lol. You're commute is 27 miles, or 135 miles a week. That means you'll need 3 gallons of fuel a week, or about $10 a week in fuel. Over the same 50 weeks, you'll have spent a whopping $500, so you'll be spending about $1100 to $1200 less, which means you're bike will "pay for itself" somewhere between 3 years 4 months and 3 years 7 months.

I don't now what your registration costs are, but I can tell you your initial registration on the DRZ will likely be much higher than the continuing registration on the truck because you'll be paying for sales tax. Subsequent years will likely be lower because the ownership tax and registration you pay every year will be based on a lower taxable value, assuming your truck isn't a POS.

Insurance on the DRZ will be lower, as long as we're comparing full coverage to full coverage and liability to liability.
    This is good math right there. I am also thinking on weekends and all the extra miles I would drive, and save there too. I think that time frame of paying for itself would come sooner than I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Get a closer job!
    Jobs are harder to find than a DRZ right now. Plus I like my job.

that mileage will increase drastically once race season(s) start...

BUT...will you be content cruising around in the slow lane all season with a trailer behind your rollerskate? (no offense RAV4)

at 13.5 miles, I would even consider a pedal bike to commute on, even at 2-3 days a week you could save $40-80/month...

look onto getting an older streetbike...something you could pick up for ~$2000 and you could ride the same amount as a DRZ...my triumph gets 48-55 on the street, and the gixxer got 40-45 when it was a streetbike, hell, a 250 gets ~70+

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Talked with my insurance agent a few weeks ago and had him pull a quote on a DRZ for shats. $22 per month full coverage. Registration is about $65.
    I think you need a new insurance dude. I'm paying $25/month for full coverage on the R1.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    look onto getting an older streetbike...something you could pick up for ~$2000 and you could ride the same amount as a DRZ...my triumph gets 48-55 on the street, and the gixxer got 40-45 when it was a streetbike, hell, a 250 gets ~70+
    A Honda Ruckus gets 100mpg. I'd like to see Brad on one of those.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    that mileage will increase drastically once race season(s) start...

BUT...will you be content cruising around in the slow lane all season with a trailer behind your rollerskate? (no offense RAV4)

at 13.5 miles, I would even consider a pedal bike to commute on, even at 2-3 days a week you could save $40-80/month...

True. Not sure how much I will be doing MRA this year. Plus if gas is 4.50 forget about it. I will be carpooling with Nik and Kia so trailer and fuel costs could be split there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I think you need a new insurance dude. I'm paying $25/month for full coverage on the R1.
    Don't forget Wicky.....you are old
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I pay $15/mo for the CBR and $10/mo for the WR, both full coverage and $250/$500 deductibles. $22/mo does sound kinda high.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

get a miata...the mini could fit in the passenger seat

FWIW the gixxer is ~10/mo and the triumph is ~$20/mo

1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Don't forget Wicky.....you are old
    True.... now where did I put that Bengay?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

I think i am the only one that traded in my....dare i say....Prius to get a different car to lower my monthly payments.

Car payment > gas savings
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!