Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1st Amendment sucks sometimes...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: 1st Amendment sucks sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Man shouts at the top of his lungs, "I THINK you're an asshole!!!"

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

AKA "Devaclis"

The thing about Martyrs is they are dead.

Let them be Martyrs.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Freedom of speech has always had limits. You can't say things that endanger people, for example. Saying "I'm going to kill you." is quite different from saying "God hates fags." like these idiots do. One is a threat. The other is debate.

Dirk
    Limits of freedoms have traditionally been where the exercise of that freedom intrudes or interferes with the rights of another. So does the WBC's right to free speech trump the grieving families' right to freely practice their religion (funerals are after all, mostly religious rites)?
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Limits of freedoms have traditionally been where the exercise of that freedom intrudes or interferes with the rights of another. So does the WBC's right to free speech trump the grieving families' right to freely practice their religion (funerals are after all, mostly religious rites)?
    According to the Chief Justice's comments, they were away from the actual service and they were on public property. If they had interrupted the service, that would have been a different matter. As vile and disgusting as I think these wastes of human flesh are, this sort of thing is the very essence of the 1st amendment.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

AKA "Devaclis"

Poppycock I say.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Craker Jack is better...

MRA Racer No.427

fiddlefaddleftw
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

mmmm crunchnmunch
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Yet actions should not be without consequence...

Someone may be free to call me an asshole, but as that comment may be considered incendiary, they should expect that I might decide they would look better with their nose moved to a different location on their face. The problem with these WBC asshats is that they expect to attack and degrade people without any risk of retaliation or penalty.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Someone may be free to call me an asshole, but as that comment may be considered incendiary, they should expect that I might decide they would look better with their nose moved to a different location on their face. The problem with these WBC asshats is that they expect to attack and degrade people without any risk of retaliation or penalty.
    No. They WANT someone to kick their ass in public, it just gets them more attention and media time. Amazingly the whole of the American public has risen above that so far. That doesn't mean I disagree however; there are just some people in this world that deserve a solid beating.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Oh, I agree. I certainly wouldn't be the one calling the cops if someone punched their lights out and if one of them got in my face, I might not resist the urge to do so myself. But this is speech, carried out on public property. They didn't encroach on private property or interfere with the ability of the mourners to hold the service. We don't want the government deciding if what someone says is insulting. That experiment has been done many times, and the harm is much greater than letting a handful of inbred idiots put their ignorance on public display.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Damn, what a waste of a good threadjack...

MRA Racer No.427

The westbro church protested my brother's funeral. I'll reserve my words on the subject.
    RIP Sgt. Travis D. Pfister. 79-07 I miss you brother.

Quote Originally Posted by wulf View Post
    The westbro church protested my brother's funeral. I'll reserve my words on the subject.
    That these people have no sense of common decency and have built up so much bad karma that their god will condemn them to a hell where each will be individually disemboweled and strangled with their own entrails over and over again for eternity?

Damn, I love the 1st amendment...

MRA Racer No.427

Good find Kat, thanks for sharing.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    The 1st Amendment doesn't suck, the Westboro fuckhead "Church" sucks. It is just a group of people who never learned that, even though you may not agree with others points of view you should have enough common decency to keep your opinions to yourself when those people are burying a loved one. Simple manners really. Maybe they should pick up Emily Post once in a while.
    +10,000

You wanna prevent this? Join The Patriot Guard as I did. I haven't gone on a ride yet with them to thwart the Westboro scum, but look forward to it.

I applaud the Supreme Court for actually doing their job.

.....and if I ever saw someone who decided that one of those Westboro scum were better off having a small (Ahem!) accident, well hell, I didn't see NUTHIN' officer. He musta just tripped, fallen, and smashed his head on the ground a coupla times......
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Mon Mar 7th, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in his majority opinion. "On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker. As a nation we have chosen a different course -- to protect even hurtful speech on public issues to ensure that we do not stifle public debate."

I think this sums it up.

And, gotta love THIS tidbit Dirk was referring to:
    "I hope The Devil skullf*cks them in both eye sockets sequentially and repetitively, and that this fate visits them soon."
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)