Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TigerDirect: Barebones kit?

Re: TigerDirect: Barebones kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Research time
    Shopping/purchasing
    Setup
    OS and application install

That is not free. I used to do all of that for $166 an hour.

That means it is not worth my time to build my own system when I can get a new/warrantied system for $1k-$2k with everything I need.
    You have warranties on all systems...HDD come with warranties, power supplies do to, so do Video Cards *shrug*

$166/hour LOL Most people research while at work getting paid anyways...so not out of any time. How many hours do you spend, I spent a whopping hour. Reviews will just drive you nuts, and how can you count watching tech videos...hell just watch one less Youtube pointless video to make back your time...by the way do you consider reading this forum a waste of time which might be costing you $166/hr.

I know you put a dollar on every minute of your day...most people don't do that though.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    You have warranties on all systems...HDD come with warranties, power supplies do to, so do Video Cards *shrug*

$166/hour LOL Most people research while at work getting paid anyways...so not out of any time. How many hours do you spend, I spent a whopping hour. Reviews will just drive you nuts, and how can you count watching tech videos...hell just watch one less Youtube pointless video to make back your time...by the way do you consider reading this forum a waste of time which might be costing you $166/hr.

I know you put a dollar on every minute of your day...most people don't do that though.
    Most people should just buy a computer from a company.

I build my own computers, haven't bought a computer from a odm, ever. However if someone came to me and asked me how to build a computer, they would get shuffled off to buy a computer with techsupport, why? So I don't end up as tech support.

Reality is, most people shouldn't be building computers, most people should just buy one, and frankly if you are starting threads like this, please just buy one. I know the days of IRQ issues and the like are, thankfully, behind us, but still there will come a time when most people need to call in to some place in Indonesia.

It's not a cost thing, I know I pay more building my own, when my time is taken in to account, but I like it, and I like knowing exactly what's in my computer, no cut down motherboard built for some odm.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliep View Post
    Thanks Ricky. After your comments, here are changes I made. Basically it looks like a better mobo for less and I stepped up on the processor. I may go down on that because it seems like a lot of power.

MoBo
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=A455-2996

Ram
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&sku=C13-6136

PSU
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...sku=ULT-LSP750

HD
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...u=TSD-1500EARS

CPU
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4&sku=I69-0950
    Have you ever looked through Newegg.com? I would also not recommend an Ultra power supply. OCZ, Enermax, PCPower&Cooling, etc. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong if you won't be overclocking, w/c, or volt-modding .

Sandy Bridge > *

SSD or Raptor for OS drive

Modular PSU

Liteon or Sony dvd-rw drive

Cooler Master 212+ CPU Fan

90 degree sata connectors

Case?

GPU?
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Tue Mar 8th, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Sandy Bridge > *

SSD or Raptor for OS drive

Modular PSU

Liteon or Sony dvd-rw drive

Cooler Master 212+ CPU Fan

90 degree sata connectors

Case?

GPU?
    I would not recommend a modular PSU. Just learn how to route cables discretely. SSDs are nice, finally, but I'm judging by his post he doesn't want to shell out for one. A Rapter would be more feasible. Unless he's overclocking, he doesn't need to shell out for a HSF either. IMO Plextor makes the best optical drives. As far as case, I recommend Lian Li. GPU, nVidia for sure.

There is no reason not to use a modular PSU. I haven't had a problem with one in 10 years and it keeps unnecessary and unused cable out of my case. And there's no reason not to at least put a nicer hsf on your cpu, especially when you can reuse it in the future.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Today's stock air coolers are more than adequate. I go with Thermalright for air, just because I'm OCD; but not everyone is. Reference for modular PSUs. When you need dead solid rails, that's when it matters.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pow...-psu,8016.html

Due to their look, convenience, and cost savings for manufacturers, modular plugs have become a popular power supply feature. Unfortunately, there has been little or no discussion of the impact of this feature on overall performance and reliability. The fact is, modular plugs limit power by adding to electrical resistance. The voltage drop can be as much as would occur in 2 feet of standard wire. Worse yet, modular plugs utilize delicate pins that can easily loosen, corrode, and burn, creating the potential for a major system failure. That's why professional system builders specify uninterrupted wire!

+1 for modular power supplies. Not necessary by any means, but very nice, especially when the power supply you bought has 52 connectors for old skool drives, and like 3 sata power connectors, and only one PCI-E connection. With modular, you configure it how you want it.

SSD's are nice, but still not quite there yet as far as performance and price. Getting there though.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post

Will your hard drive or video card or motherboard be replaced in 4 hours? Mine will. With a simple phone call. No paperwork to fill out, no receipts to search for, no fuss. That is worth $$ to me.

I am not reading this forum to learn how to build a computer or which is the best technology to use for a home built computer, so no, I am not wasting $166 an hour reading it.

I am, however, losing brain cells trying to discuss the merrits of purchasing a rig from a reputable vendor, with a warranty, as another option for procuring a decent box. But I guess on the CSC, with it's total balls to the wall know it all geniuses, you can only be right or wrong. No gray areas here.

Have fun building a computer. I used to. I have built more of them than 99% of the people in this thread. That is why I now buy mine pre-built. If you can't learn from experience, or at least use your experience to explore new options, then I guess your experience is pretty useless.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Let me call the whambulance...

If you want to go ahead and continue with your own build, check out www.extremeoverclocking.com.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Wed Mar 9th, 2011 at 08:50 AM.

Nothing wrong with pre-built computers. I just don't like building computers for other people anymore. It gets old, and it's a pain in the ass, especially when you run into any kind of compatibility problems or bad hardware out of the box. When it's not just assemble, load and go, it's a waste of time. However, I'll always build my own computer. I like being able to configure it the exact way I want, and I can't often find what I want/need out of a pre-built.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Nothing wrong with pre-built computers. I just don't like building computers for other people anymore. It gets old, and it's a pain in the ass, especially when you run into any kind of compatibility problems or bad hardware out of the box. When it's not just assemble, load and go, it's a waste of time. However, I'll always build my own computer. I like being able to configure it the exact way I want, and I can't often find what I want/need out of a pre-built.

That and they're built poorly... Quality pre-built are far too marked up as well.

Well it was my pre-built computer that has been giving my a headache for two years. Under a heavy load on the processor, my box shuts off. I expected it was a heating issue. I can't use my Nero software to burn dvds, can't watch my netflix and game at the same time, and in the summer it's even worse. Upgraded the CPU fan and took the side off among much other trouble shooting. Pain in the ass that I have to tip toe around, hence why I want to build a power house and not pay out the ass. I was looking for advice and tips on the build to help keep me from an overkill in performance.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

Quote Originally Posted by pauliep View Post
    Well it was my pre-built computer that has been giving my a headache for two years. Under a heavy load on the processor, my box shuts off. I expected it was a heating issue. I can't use my Nero software to burn dvds, can't watch my netflix and game at the same time, and in the summer it's even worse. Upgraded the CPU fan and took the side off among much other trouble shooting. Pain in the ass that I have to tip toe around, hence why I want to build a power house and not pay out the ass. I was looking for advice and tips on the build to help keep me from an overkill in performance.

Give me a budget and let me see what I can put together.

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    Give me a budget and let me see what I can put together.
    750-900
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6