Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: learn to wheelie 2011

Re: learn to wheelie 2011

Honestly I would test out the good ol' wheelie machine
    YouTube - Wheelie Machine

im game to work on them wheelie skills let me know when and where! im sure when its a little warmer ill be ready to go.
    drop it down rapp it out and hang on!

Quote Originally Posted by drago52 View Post
    this is all I really want. is that too much to ask?
    Same for me... but with more girls and less dudes.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Formerly known as "redrider" Monster's Avatar

I have seen some dudes kill it on both the kawi and the buell but at the end of the day the buell had an aweful oil leak. just my 1.5 cents....Go Kawi

if the weather is good, I may try to get some practice in on Sunday. got a couple ideas for locations
    -Ryan

I might be able to go with you on my cheater bike later on sunday.

If anybody seriously wants to learn wheelies, find a spot and I will show up and at least pass along everything I know about them. I don't claim to be an expert and I won't tell you to go "yugh ughhh". I don't have my crf 50 anymore, but I can easily get you started on the right path learning how to wheelie YOUR bike.

I used to do parking lot stunting and know at least enough to teach some people the basics.

MY credentials.

http://youtu.be/T-ZiBegppp4

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    MY credentials.

Spring break?
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

If anybody seriously wants to learn wheelies, find a spot and I will show up and at least pass along everything I know about them. I don't claim to be an expert and I won't tell you to go "yugh ughhh". I don't have my crf 50 anymore, but I can easily get you started on the right path learning how to wheelie YOUR bike.
    Sweet. Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you when I'm interested in heading out. It will definitely be easier to learn with an experienced rider telling me what I'm doing wrong and what I'm doing right. I've got a couple spots in mind right now, so I may check them out this sunday to see if it would draw any attention.
    -Ryan

MY credentials.

WARNING!! Wheelies are dangerous and Highly addictive, they should only be performed by those who have a bike, a bike they are willing to put money into, Have a drivers license that they are willing to lose, likes being referred to as mary round lips in the slammer. Please do not try this at home because pavement works better. Please only perform stunts at your own risk...or at the risk of someone like you. Thank you

Id say the kawi.... have stunted the same bike for the last two years, hit me up with any questions on setting it up... the kawi will be more forgiving and cost less to fix. Definatly start there...

I do also have a used sick innovations crash cage for sale if you want to protect your baby a lil bit....

I'm down in the springs but come up north often.... there are people out riding all weekend every weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by navajowalks View Post
    Id say the kawi.... have stunted the same bike for the last two years, hit me up with any questions on setting it up... the kawi will be more forgiving and cost less to fix. Definatly start there...
    what's the optimal learning speed to slip the clutch in first gear? I've got +2 on the rear. also is it better to accelerate prior to slipping the clutch, or just to cruise at a constant speed, pull in the clutch, open the throttle, then slip it out?
    -Ryan

????? DO they make those cages for a super chicken ??? (superhawk 996 its a v twin) I can pullem but i want to ride em I am well aware of the risk involved with stunten my bike and wheeling to take the chance to learn and take my ridding ability up a notch.
    drop it down rapp it out and hang on!

Racing 905 makes one for the super chicken

http://racing905.com/armor.html

what's the optimal learning speed to slip the clutch in first gear? I've got +2 on the rear. also is it better to accelerate prior to slipping the clutch, or just to cruise at a constant speed, pull in the clutch, open the throttle, then slip it out?

I would stay start at around 25 mph. Work on just getting the wheel barely off the ground and riding it out. Don't float your valves by hitting your rev limiter. Just practice getting the wheel up a little bit at a time. Warning: you will definitely look like a squid doing it, but thats how to practice.

Don't just cover the rear brake. USE IT. Practice bringing the wheel up and gently hitting the rear brake while keeping on the throttle to bring the wheel down. The rear brake is the only thing that will save your ass during a loopout.

I would stay start at around 25 mph. Work on just getting the wheel barely off the ground and riding it out. Don't float your valves by hitting your rev limiter. Just practice getting the wheel up a little bit at a time. Warning: you will definitely look like a squid doing it, but thats how to practice.

Don't just cover the rear brake. USE IT. Practice bringing the wheel up and gently hitting the rear brake while keeping on the throttle to bring the wheel down. The rear brake is the only thing that will save your ass during a loopout.
    Thanks Brad. Great tips. I know I'm going to look like a squid and I'm ok with that if it means I'm going to learn how to wheelie and improve my control on the bike. Gotta work on your weaknesses if you want to improve.
    -Ryan

Thanks Brad. Great tips. I know I'm going to look like a squid and I'm ok with that if it means I'm going to learn how to wheelie and improve my control on the bike. Gotta work on your weaknesses if you want to improve.

You would be surprised at how wheelies will completely change your comfort level on a bike. Being able to control a bike during any situation makes you a better rider all around. Just watch videos of Aaron Colton and you can tell that no matter what he is doing on a bike, he is comfortable doing it.

As slow as you feel comfortable... it can be easier to ride em faster with speed, but where on the streets with traffic.... not as safe as in a parking lot at a controlable speed... I would recommend a constant speed for sure trying to keep everything as constant as possible so when you get the hang of what works its easier to keep that in your muscle memory... the clutch and gas is a timing issue and only seat time can teach that... wear your gear,

@25 he's already going pretty fast for first gear.... chasing the wheelie "riding it out" will put him over 45-50 mph pretty quick and that's not nessarily a safe way to learn... not saying that's not how people get started but be careful.... the faster you start the wheelie the faster your going to put it down or worse case wreck...

At the beginning of learning using the brake is easier said than done.... remeber if you are using the rear brake the bike will go down rather than up.... if your not high enough and "gently" using the brake you will have to give it more gas to keep it up.... so now were going to fast and using more gas how am I supposed to keep it out of the rev limiter? Lol

Wheelies 101 not high enough add gas, too high add brake...

I said cover the rear brake cause every person I've seen come out to the lot and want to try and wheelie have there right foot sticking out away from the brake.. its a good habit to start covering the brake all the time

Quote Originally Posted by navajowalks View Post
    As slow as you feel comfortable... it can be easier to ride em faster with speed, but where on the streets with traffic.... not as safe as in a parking lot at a controlable speed... I would recommend a constant speed for sure trying to keep everything as constant as possible so when you get the hang of what works its easier to keep that in your muscle memory... the clutch and gas is a timing issue and only seat time can teach that... wear your gear,

@25 he's already going pretty fast for first gear.... chasing the wheelie "riding it out" will put him over 45-50 mph pretty quick and that's not nessarily a safe way to learn... not saying that's not how people get started but be careful.... the faster you start the wheelie the faster your going to put it down or worse case wreck...

At the beginning of learning using the brake is easier said than done.... remeber if you are using the rear brake the bike will go down rather than up.... if your not high enough and "gently" using the brake you will have to give it more gas to keep it up.... so now were going to fast and using more gas how am I supposed to keep it out of the rev limiter? Lol

Wheelies 101 not high enough add gas, too high add brake...

I said cover the rear brake cause every person I've seen come out to the lot and want to try and wheelie have there right foot sticking out away from the brake.. its a good habit to start covering the brake all the time
    10-4
    -Ryan

25mph in first? We are riding Saturday and Sunday at the stunt spot hit me up if you want to join. Sunday in the Springs for sure and Saturday is still up in the air wether we are going to Denver or staying in the Springs. Also If i were you I would grab that cage off navajo it's a life saver. Here's some credentials...
    Mrs.Wondo

The only reason I said 25 mph in first is that at lower speeds clutching up, it can come up way too fast for new people. At least at 25 you can just get the wheel a little off the ground and ride it out. Its all about the feel for getting the wheel up a little bit, not about hitting balance point in the first attempt. The lower the speed, the quicker the clutch up.

If he had a stunt bike with gear and a welded 12 bar, I would say do a 12k rev drop in first from a stop and learn the rear brake. On a stock street bike, practice riding out wheelies in first, and work comfort level up.
    Last edited by vort3xr6; Thu Mar 10th, 2011 at 08:30 PM.

The only reason I said 25 mph in first is that at lower speeds clutching up, it can come up way too fast for new people. At least at 25 you can just get the wheel a little off the ground and ride it out. Its all about the feel for getting the wheel up a little bit, not about hitting balance point in the first attempt. The lower the speed, the quicker the clutch up.

If he had a stunt bike with gear and a welded 12 bar, I would say do a 12k rev drop in first from a stop and learn the rear brake. On a stock street bike, practice riding out wheelies in first, and work comfort level up.
    Key there my friend is "at lower speeds clutching up, it can come up way to fast..." never said dump the clutch and hit the balance point but like you said lower speed quicker the clutch up... its easier to get the front wheel off at lower speeds. Just try popping it up a few inchs more every time.... don't forget my first bike was a 07zx6r minty brand new stock befroe it became a stunt bike....and yes always ride with in your comfort level, its all about seat time... and these things come from the factory with a 12 bar hahahaha.

Last edited by navajowalks; Fri Mar 11th, 2011 at 08:58 AM.

What Navajo said...
    Mrs.Wondo