Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phone Advice: Droid 2, Incredible, or Samsung Fascinate?

Phone Advice: Droid 2, Incredible, or Samsung Fascinate?

So my old dumb phone is about kaput and a smart phone plan is only an extra $5/month for me, so I'll probby take the plunge & get a Droid. Problem is, which one?

And before you iPhiles whip out your Steve Jobs hard-on, I have an iPhone through work. Yes, I prefer to keep my work phone separate from my personal phone. Also, I'm on Verizon and I'm not picking up another Blackberry. The last one I had through work was a piece.

Those of you that have an Incredible, is the battery life really that godawful? Does a task killer help?

Those that have a Droid 2, do you really use the keyboard & is it worth having?

Does anyone have a Samsung Fascinate?

I have friends with a Droid X and the bump at the top feels weird to me and would probably bug me.

What do you think of your phones? Are these all just so damned similar that it just comes down to feel?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Phone Advice: Droid 2, Incredible, or Samsung Fascinate?

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Those that have a Droid 2, do you really use the keyboard & is it worth having?
    I have the original Droid, not terribly different from Droid 2. I use the keyboard occasionally when I am doing something that is easier when looking at the whole screen like an SSH session. I do like the keyboard on the Droid 2 better than the one on mine (raised keys instead of flat). For most things, the on-screen keyboard is fine but I do like having the option of the physical keyboard.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I thought the Droid X was going to be a problem also but I honestly love it. Really not that noticeable, and very happy I made the change.
    Casey D

With Verizon I would get the Thunderbolt.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_thunderbolt_4g-3703.php

I'm a phone-philiac soooo. I've never owned a phone for more than 6 months except the Nexus One, only due to a deployment .

General 2G Network CDMA 800 / 1900 3G Network CDMA2000 1xEV-DO / LTE 700 Announced 2011, January Status Coming soon. Exp. release 2011, Q1 Size Dimensions 122 x 66 x 13 mm Weight 164 g Display Type TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors Size 480 x 800 pixels, 4.3 inches - Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate
    - Proximity sensor for auto turn-off
    - HTC Sense 2.0 UI
    - Multi-touch input method Sound Alert types Vibration, MP3, WAV ringtones Loudspeaker Yes 3.5mm jack Yes - DNSe (Dolby mobile sound enhancement) Memory Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall Call records Practically unlimited Internal 8GB storage, 768 MB RAM Card slot microSD, up to 32GB, 32GB included Data GPRS No EDGE No 3G Rev. A, up to 3.1 Mbps, LTE WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, DLNA Bluetooth Yes, v2.1 with A2DP, EDR Infrared port No USB Yes, microUSB v2.0 Camera Primary 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, dual-LED flash Features Geo-tagging, face detection Video Yes, 720p Secondary Yes, 1.3 MP Features OS Android OS, v2.2 (Froyo) CPU 1GHz Scorpion processor, Adreno 205 GPU, Qualcomm MSM8655 Snapdragon Messaging SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM Browser HTML Radio Stereo FM radio with RDS Games Yes + downloadable Colors Black GPS Yes, with A-GPS support Java No - Video Skype & SNS integration
    - built-in kickstand
    - Digital compass
    - Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
    - Google Search, Maps, Gmail
    - YouTube, Google Talk, Picasa integration
    - MP3/AAC+/WAV/WMA9 player
    - DivX/Xvid/MP4/H.263/H.264/WMV9/player
    - Organizer
    - Document viewer
    - Voice memo/dial/commands
    - Predictive text input Battery Standard battery, Li-Ion 1400 mAh
    Last edited by TransNone13; Tue Mar 8th, 2011 at 08:28 AM.

AKA "Devaclis"

Droid X

Large screen
    The bump is actually nice when holding it
    Battery life is pretty good
    HDMI is the TITS
    Fits in my pocket nicely
    Nice messaging integration
    the physical butons on the bottom are better than the digital/haptic feedback buttons IMO
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    With Verizon I would get the Thunderbolt.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_thunderbolt_4g-3703.php

I'm a phone-philiac soooo. I've never owned a phone for more than 6 months except the Nexus One, only due to a deployment .
    ^^Yeah, but when's it coming out?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I actually like HTC better than Motorola. Everything just seemed to be smoother and less glitches. I have the X now and don't hate it...but I don't exactly love it either.

^^Yeah, but when's it coming out?

Should be shortly, quoted as Q1 which is any minute!

Announced 2011, January Status Coming soon. Exp. release 2011, Q1

^^Yeah, but my personal phone is pretty much DOA and I would like to be able to make personal calls & texts before the end of the month... Plus it looks like they've pushed back the release date for the past two weeks.

The Droid X is bigger than the iPhone 4 right?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Waaay bigger

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Droid X

Large screen
    The bump is actually nice when holding it
    Battery life is pretty good
    HDMI is the TITS -
    Fits in my pocket nicely - so I can butt text everyone and post on Facebook while riding!
    Nice messaging integration
    the physical butons on the bottom are better than the digital/haptic feedback buttons IMO
    fixed!
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

AKA "Devaclis"

Chris, you can mess with my X if you want. Get a feel for it. Over beers? Maybe after work?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    fixed!
    That is a fringe benefit that I frequently enjoy. My butt has a lot of important stuff to say.

I have the Fascinate, over all not that impressed with it. Out of the box it uses Android 2.1 OS, that it the oldest version out there. Bing is the search engine it uses, not Google and there is no status light to let you know you have a missed call or message or a low battery. On the plus side it takes video in 720p, though I think the Droid X does as well. If I were to do it over again, I would get the Droid X.

^^Thanks mang. How is it holding the thing? I couldn't get a good feel at the store b/c of the security device on it. It looks like it'd slide right outta your hand
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

My buddy has the Droid 2 with the slide out keyboard. He wishes he had gotten the X. With Swype, you don't really need the physical keyboard. It makes the Droid 2 heavier than the X and just seems bulky.
    Casey D

Yeah it is a little small. If you get a cover for it, its a little bit better... Really they should have painted the thing pink so only petite girls would buy it and not guys with gorilla fingers...

Honestly i would try and hold out just a bit longer, if you cant currently make calls at all i would try and find another super cheap phone to get by on until the next batch of phones comes out.. IE Thunderbolt, Droid Bionic, HTC Incredible 2

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/car...rizon/upcoming

^^Eh, it depends a lot on release dates. There's always going to be something new and awesome right around the corner so if it's gonna be more than a few weeks off, I've probably gotta settle for something now
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

^^Eh, it depends a lot on release dates. There's always going to be something new and awesome right around the corner so if it's gonna be more than a few weeks off, I've probably gotta settle for something now

That's true, but when you're dropping a couple hundo; being patient if you choose to wait on a specific model isn't ill-advised.

Pretty much all of those phones should be coming out literally any day, the technology in the Droid X compared to the Droid Bionic is literally funny, while the phones your looking at are definitely good phones, this next batch includes features like 4g, dual core 1ghz processors, huge amounts of ram, etc.

These phones are not small upgrades like normal IMO, these phones are going to be game changers once they hit the market.

^^They don't even have a release date for the Bionic do they? It's slated as Q2.

Thunderbolt's supposed to be out any day, but that's the only one that's got a release date that I can find
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Yeah the Bionic does not have a release date yet, i personally would expect mid march to maybe early april for the release.

As my momma always tells me, some things are just worth waiting for.

AKA "Devaclis"

I currently have NO 4G connectivity anywhere in Colorado. What good is a 4G ready phone here? None as far as I can tell.

I am also not finding that RAM or processor speed is inhibitive on any ofthe applications I run or any of the video/picture/media recording and playback. I use my phone heavily for work and for play and have yet to find a restriction due to hardware.

Online sites/applications/videos are quicker than my iPhone but are also not limited by the phone itself.

I am not sure what is to be gained by a dual processor phone at this point other than shorter battery life and braggin rights. What applications are written to take advantage of this "upgrade"? What are you running consecutively to need more RAM?

Trust me, I KNOW as well as some of you that the newest and coolest is nice to have. But it has really never been a cost effective and productive choice to purchase the first generation electronic device for me. Not that almost 3 decades of doing so has anything to contribute to "experience".

Now, where did I put my awesome Atrix. Oh, there it is, next to the other "newest crap" in my office like the iPad 2 and the Scooty Puff Sr.