Thread: PC help plz - no video signal

PC help plz - no video signal

Got cut loose yesterday. Had to turn in the work laptop and I'm trying to get one of my old PCs running again. It's been sitting for about 1.5yrs. Worked alright when I turned it off but had some kind of a problem that was making it run slower than molasses in January. Hadn't figured out if it was hardware or software issues. Had the work laptop to use so my give-a-shitter broke down and I retired it.

So now I'm trying to get it going. Opened it up, blew out the dust, plugged it in, and no video display. CPU fan and power supply fan come on. Can feel the HD spin up. Tried two monitors. Tried on board video and the video card that was used in there for years. Removed all the memory cards, unplugged all the drives. still no video display. no diagnostic screen, nothing. Acts like the board isn't turned on.

This is the board
    ftp://download.intel.com/support/mot...v/a4974502.pdf

appreciate any help, thanks.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Re: PC help plz - no video signal

Are there any beep codes sounding when it's turned on?
    “The knack of flying is in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

Speedin' Motorsports
    Sol Performance - Pirelli

I'm no expert, but I think something's broken

Sorry, I couldn't resist being a smartass, I'm sure someone with actual knowledge will be along shortly to help!
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Most motherboards will beep out an error code or have LED's on the the back that will show an error code when you start them up.

no beeps and the power on code is green.

at one point in the configuration before I unplugged everything, the power on was red and there were three beeps.

maybe it doesn't matter. That's a pentium 3 board, I have another machine here with a pentium 4 2ghz and a failed drive. I'll try pulling the drive from this and putting it in the other.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

the other machine was the wife's PC before I bought her this netbook I'm on now. It always had operating system issues and I didn't have a licensed operating system to fix it properly.

1999 DR650SE

Are you sure the monitor is good? It doesn't seem likely that both the onboard video and video card both don't work.

Sorry to here you lost your job BTW.

If you have other parts then try swapping things around to try and figure out what has gone bad. In the manual that you posted it has the codes and meanings there for the beeps and leds.

Whenever a recoverable error occurs during POST, the BIOS displays an error message describing
    the problem (see Table 92). The BIOS also issues a beep code (one long tone followed by two
    short tones) during POST if the video configuration fails (a faulty video card or no card installed)
    or if an external ROM module does not properly checksum to zero.
    An external ROM module (for example, a video BIOS) can also issue audible errors, usually
    consisting of one long tone followed by a series of short tones. For more information on the beep
    codes issued, check the documentation for that external device.
    There are several POST routines that issue a POST terminal error and shut down the system if they
    fail. Before shutting down the system, the terminal-error handler issues a beep code signifying the
    test point error, writes the error to I/O port 80h, attempts to initialize the video and writes the error
    in the upper left corner of the screen (using both monochrome and color adapters).
    If POST completes normally, the BIOS issues one short beep before passing control to the
    operating system.

Table 92. Beep Codes
    Beep Description
    1 Refresh failure
    2 Parity cannot be reset
    3 First 64 KB memory failure
    4 Timer not operational
    5 Not used
    6 8042 GateA20 cannot be toggled
    7 Exception interrupt error
    8 Display memory R/W error
    9 Not used
    10 CMOS Shutdown register test error
    11 Invalid BIOS (e.g., POST module not found, etc.)S Shutdown register test error
    11 Invalid BIOS (e.g., POST module not found, etc.)
    “The knack of flying is in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

Speedin' Motorsports
    Sol Performance - Pirelli

well SOB. I pulled the drive and put it in the other PC. That will now attempts to boot but hung at drivers agp440.sys

got the boot sequence changed to the CD rom with the XP disk. Started in recovery mode to repair the installation. Now it's asking me for the Administrator password. I don't remember that thing having a password. fuck me running

1999 DR650SE

light at the end of the tunnel

interesting that the symptom is related to a video problem as well. Microsoft knowledge base says this is caused by an incompatible chipset video driver (HD pulled from the other PC) and to disable agp440.sys

guess I know myself pretty well, figured out the password.

1999 DR650SE

got too cocky. now she hangs at mup.sys

not sure if anyone gives a shit. just sayin...

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    got too cocky. now she hangs at mup.sys

not sure if anyone gives a shit. just sayin...
    If all fails you can swing by what you have PC(s) and parts and I can try to get something going for you.
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

you rock 'Giz. You at the house today?

1999 DR650SE

you rock 'Giz. You at the house today?
    nope working till 6:30, if you want you could swing all the stuff to downtown Fort Collins parking garage and i could toss it in the trunk and work on it tonight. PM if that works.
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

thanks. with every service I disable, it just keeps failing on the next one. am running a windows reinstall/repair from the cD now. If that fails, I'll probably be out of options and have to come crawling on hands and knees.

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGizzmo View Post
    downtown Fort Collins parking garage.
    the place where all the shady computer deals go down

Good luck with it Tink...sorry to hear about the job

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    the place where all the shady computer deals go down
    lol! that's funny shit right there

Good luck with it Tink...sorry to hear about the job
    thanks again. was due for a change and have a few months worth of savings. no need to panic yet.

On the PC front - some progress. the windows repair worked and I'm back in to the OS. No network adapters can be found unfortunately. Went back in and re-enabled the services I'd disabled trying to get the system to boot. Still no luck seeing the wireless or wired PCI adapters. They are showing up as unknown devices in the device manager.

1999 DR650SE

lol! that's funny shit right there

thanks again. was due for a change and have a few months worth of savings. no need to panic yet.

On the PC front - some progress. the windows repair worked and I'm back in to the OS. No network adapters can be found unfortunately. Went back in and re-enabled the services I'd disabled trying to get the system to boot. Still no luck seeing the wireless or wired PCI adapters. They are showing up as unknown devices in the device manager.
    It's possible that the OS doesn't have the drivers. Can you download them on another computer and then install them?

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    It's possible that the OS doesn't have the drivers. Can you download them on another computer and then install them?
    might give that a shot. however I find it hard to believe that the XP CD wouldn't have had a driver for the onboard network adapter. Seems more likely it had something to do with me disabling services. will see....

1999 DR650SE

I thought is was customary to keep the company laptop when you are let go?

BTW sorry 'bout ya getting sacked
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

the old laptop was hardly better than a netbook. I'd have been doing them a favor by keeping it.

I didn't look hard enough at the other network adapter. turns out it was an old dial up modem. dumbass, was probably the cause of the bootup issues. yanked that out and things started cooperating a little more because it would recognize the card. downloaded the wireless drivers on this netbook and transferred over and she sees my network.

six hours f'n with this. No wonder I got sacked.

1999 DR650SE