Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Mileage Thread

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Re: Tire Mileage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MilkMan View Post
    Figured it was time to add my $.02!

Bike: 2007 Gixxer 1000
    Rider size: 6'4"/205lbs-215+lbs w/full gear
    Tires/Size: Michelin Pilot Power 2CT/120-17/190-50-17--F/R
    Mileage on tires: ~6,500 miles
    Type of riding: More commuting than I would like, Lots of canyon @ a newb to fair pace, Quite a few passes up at Bandimere speedway with burnouts, Rode these all year including all threw winter in all temps from 15*-95*
    Review: Extremely happy with the PP2ct's, always provided great feel and grip in almost all conditions. Probably could have stretched the mileage a bit further without the days at the drag strip, but not dissapointed at all with these. I ride my bike pretty much every day that its not snowing or monsoon season, and even in the wet, I was still very confident with the bike. Once these get warm they are STICKY too, far more tire than I could ever use on the street, but again thats where the confidence came into play, and they did that in spades! Would deffinatly recommend these to just about anyone, only downfall really is the mileage, but even with me beating the living hell out of them, I got more mileage than most people have advertised so I'm not complaining at all! Next up is a barely used set of Dunlop Q2's for a smoking deal that I couldn't pass up. Plus this will be a great comparison of a shitty riders opinion of 2 of the top rated street tires out today! Will be interesting to see the positives/negatives of each brand and how they feel on the bike given the same rider/suspension settings/etc.
    -Mick-
    Wow, totally surprised you got that kind of mileage out of them, especially with burnouts.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I was very pleasantly surprised myself. I think with a bit more conservative riding, these could have gone to around 8/9k as well. The front still looks good but is just about to the wear bars so it's pretty much time to replace them both. Will also be good to see how they compare to the q2's mileage wise.
    -Mick-
    1990 White/Black Eagle Talon TSi: The "Caged" cage.. 792hp/623tq- 9.98@144.77mph
    2008 Yamaha R1 Raven: 10.7@134 - DNA race air filter, Gutted cats and modded factory cans, -2 front sprocket!
    2007 Yellow/Grey GSXR1000: 11.24@143.4mph- Stolen... Me sad panda...

Bike: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
    Rider Size: 6'2" 275 lbs + gear
    Tires/Size: Michelin Pilot Power 2CT 120/70, 180/55
    Mileage on tires: 4500
    Type of riding: Mostly commuting, some twisty bits, some fun runs with friends
    Review: Unlike Mick, I'm at the wear bar at 4500 on the rear. Front still has plenty of life so I'm putting on another rear until I replace both. I've got a heavy wrist, and it's a new-to-me bike so I've been hard on the throttle testing it out. Good tires for cruising around and I've drug my boots more times than I can count, very confident in the corners. Didn't get to try wet traction until later in their life when even dry is starting to suffer, so can't comment on that. I wouldn't be opposed to trying them again, but I'm thinking Angel STs or PR3s as my next tire.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Well I'm sad to say my first impressions of the Q2's is really less than stellar. After only putting a few miles on the front tire (did buy these used so not 100% sure what might have happened prior to me getting them), the tire has had a manufacturing failure of some sort. The tire developed a sort of hot spot and for about a 4/5" section it looks as if the rubber compound on the surface of the tire has come apart and caused a strange collapsed area on the tread pattern? I'm not sure if it was a belt that came apart inside the tire or what, but either way I have sourced another new front and will be replacing it. The entire time riding, the front always felt a bit strange on left turns like it was out of balance, so maybe this is what that feeling was. I will try to get a good pic of the damage on the tire and put it up and see what everyone's opinion is on what happened. I've never seen anything like this happen to any car/bike tire before so this is a strange one for sure. Hopefully the new tire does not develop a similar problem...
    -Mick-
    1990 White/Black Eagle Talon TSi: The "Caged" cage.. 792hp/623tq- 9.98@144.77mph
    2008 Yamaha R1 Raven: 10.7@134 - DNA race air filter, Gutted cats and modded factory cans, -2 front sprocket!
    2007 Yellow/Grey GSXR1000: 11.24@143.4mph- Stolen... Me sad panda...

Bike: 2003 Yamaha FZ1
    Rider size: 5'9" 160lbs
    Tires/Size: Bridgestone BTO16. 120/70, 180/55
    Mileage on tires: 7500-8k/f, 3-3500/r
    Type of riding: 50% commute, 50% hard canyon
    Review: I really like the tires. Just wish the rear would last longer. Nice turn in, stable in all conditions. No chicken strips at all and allways had great confidence in them. Warm up quick. Have had the rear start to slip getting on it too hard out of real tight corners but allways predictable and easy to reel in. Have gone thru maybe 6 rears & 3 fronts on this bike.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Got 4,824 miles on the last set of Metzler M3's, even after doing an epic 2,300+mile high-speed trip on them last summer. Funny, I only got 3,800+ on the last set. Love 'em. Plenty of traction, very predictable, economical, I'll be mounting the next set soon. Hope they keep making them because I like 'em better than the M5's, they last longer, and they're cheaper. Win-win.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

wow I got 2600 on my q2's and they were past the wear bars.

Has anyone tried the Pilot Power 3 and the Pilot Road 3? Considering them for my next tires. I ride pretty aggressively, so grip is important, but a close second is mileage. I liked riding 2CTs, so I'm thinking about going back to those, but everything I've read says the Road and Power 3s both have better grip. Thoughts? Input? Suggestions?
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I recommend the Pilot Road 4s. I have about 2k on them right now on the SF and under hard acceleration and also ridden in hard rain without a wiggle, they still look like new.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I suggest heavily the Pirelli Angel GTs, got 6200 out of the first set, they stick great and wear well.
    Something witty.

'12 Aprilia Shiver 750

I was a Michelin guy for a decade, rode every version of the pilot power line. Until I rode the power 3s, absolutely no warning or feeling from them. They grip until they don't, no warning. Had a friend tell me for years to try the Dunlop q2 and never did, when I told him how much I hated the power 3 he told me to try the q3. It's the best road/track day tire I've ever ridden. Motorcycle USA did a 17 tire comparison with former and current racers, it's on YouTube. Great video but I'll summarize, q3 is only behind the Pirelli at half the cost and the power 3s finished behind Shinkos in 9th (can't remember exact position). Same feedback from the testers about how the tires lack feel and predictability.
    Try the q3s, might not be great on mileage but they are the (2nd) best for aggressive riding. Cheaper than the Michelin as well. If you are more concerned with mileage then I agree with madvlad, the pilot road 4s (not the 3s if you do rain riding) are probably the best option.

Mike @ Riders Discount has Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V2 sets for I believe 279, sold out now for the 190 combos but has a couple of 180 combos....
    866-931-6644 x804

Here we are in August and looks as if I'll about the same for miles if not a lil less out of my rosso2
    great tire!! Thinking about the q3 next as there a bit cheaper and I've heard good reviews.

Bike: 2013 CBR100RR
    Rider size: 5'11" 240lbs
    Tires/Size: Pilot Road 4 or Angel GT 120/70, 190/50
    Mileage on tires:
    Type of riding: Like Mother Goose I commute whenever there isn't snow on the ground. Hit the canyons at least 3 weekends out of the month (1/4 are 2 up). i like to hit the track here and there. I can put upto 300 miles a day on the weekends.
    Review: I bought the PR3's and put them on my bro's 600RR, because mine got stolen between the time I ordered them and the time they came in. but we took his bike straight to IMI after putting them on and it felt natural, better then the stock tires which we had at IMI the week before. I put about 2k miles on his bike and he did another 3k and there is still lots of tread left. so I was thinking of getting the PR4's on my bike. even over the last couple of months when we go riding and we switch bikes, I have more confidence in his tires then the stock 2013's.

Wondering if anyone has tried more tires or has anymore input since last year.
    "On my steel horse I ride"
    2013 CBR1000RR, 20769 Miles