Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spinal Fusion

Last edited by Mac020; Sat Mar 12th, 2011 at 06:33 AM.

Dissconected from this world

Re: Spinal Fusion

Damm dude, good luck with the surgery and since your gonna have a lil limited motion for awhile if you want I'll buy the fleshlight for your gf

*UPDATE*

This is one of those why didn't I do this years earlier results....so far. I feel great, aside from the muscles trying to heal simply from the trauma of the surgery itself, I have zero, nada, zilch, pain. All of the pain I had before in the lower back radiating over the hips into the groin, leg, etc. is all gone.

As I mentioned earlier, I had the surgery (L3-L5 TLIF spinal fusion) on Tuesday, March 22nd (11 days ago). I had the surgery at 7:30 a.m., in recovery from about 11:30 a.m.- 1 p.m., wheeled to my room by 2 p.m. Only issue with that was when I woke in recovery I couldn't catch my breath, they tried a few oxygen mask types and I still couldn't, so after yanking it off my face a few times I was able to gather my breathing on my own.

After getting to my room at 2 p.m. I was up walking (damn O and P Therapists made me use a walker) for three laps or about 15 minutes around the 4th floor wing around 5-6 p.m. I felt and still do feel better when I'm walking over sitting and laying down.

Wednesday (3/23) about 30 minutes of walking, about 1/2 with walker and 1/2 without. Finally convinced the Physical Thereapist I didn't need it.

Thursday (3/24) about two different sets of walking, 30 minutes each and was begging to get the hell out of there. Boom....tired of my heckling and I was released.

Thursday night took a little getting used to a regular bed that didn't bend where I needed it to take weight off certain areas. Eventually fell asleep with a little Valium and Norco.

Friday (3/25) started weening myself from 2 Norco's and 1 Valium every 6 hours to 1 of each every 8 hours. Walked for about an 1 1/2 hours throughout day, but just in the house.

Saturday (4 days post surgery) went for a 3 mile walk outside. Felt great doing it...not so great that night. A little too much a little too soon. Bad night of sleep but still sticking to weening of meds...actually had to take 1 Norco to get to sleep.

Sunday (3/27) took it easy to rest and calm down aches, 30 minutes in house walking. Only took 1 Norco all day and off of Valium.

Monday (3/2eight woke up feeling signifigantly better, walked 1 hour total around house. No meds today at all.

Tuesday ( 1 week post surgery) another 3 miler outside throwing some hills and elevation gain to see how the back would do. Felt great! 1 Norco at night.

Wednesday (3/30) did 1.5 miles outside. Felt good again. No meds.

Thursday (3/31)did 2 miles outside, no meds. Feeling stronger and less muscle pain.

Friday (4/1) ramped it up with more hills and nearly completed 4 miles of walking outside. No meds. Feeling stronger. Went and got the car washed and was actually able to chamois/dry it being careful to bend correctly. Beautiful day! No meds.

Today (4/2) my daughter had her CU admitted student day from 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. with lots of sitting and lots of walking. I don't like the sitting, really enjoy the walking. 1 Norco, I think mostly due to all the sitting and the driving to/from Boulder from SE Aurora.

So far, so good. I hope to be completely off meds (maybe just Tylenol when absolutley needed) by Monday, April 4th. 2 week check up on Tuesday, April 5th and to get these SteriStrips off my incision. It's about 6 inches (the incision ) and these damn strips itch like crazy.

I want to doing some damn jumping jacks or something in front of the doc and give the dude (Dr. William Choi-Chief Of Neurosurgery, Skyridge Medical Center) a hug I feel so much better now. Highly recommended!

I guess I need to temper my enthusiasm as there may be set-backs, but as of now I can't believe how much better I feel. It really is a night and day difference. I use a bone growth stimulator for 30 minutes everyday to help assist in the fusion. I'm not entirely sure of the science behind it other than the (CMF) Combined Magnetic Field technology is supposed to aid/quicken the actual bone fusion the body would normally do on its own.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words of encouragement and support.

I especially want to thank Adam (Filo) for getting me in touch with Tony Baker (T Baggins) and a great talk with Tony, Marc (ghostrider_9) for another great talk...really need to talk with someone when dealing with a surgery like this and these guys put me at ease. (dapper) for bringing up some alternative solutions which I looked into heavily. And lastly, (Dysco) for some great advice. The flowers for my wife were a big hit and so was all of the other advice.

Thanks again everyone!
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    *UPDATE*

This is one of those why didn't I do this years earlier results....so far. I feel great, aside from the muscles trying to heal simply from the trauma of the surgery itself, I have zero, nada, zilch, pain. All of the pain I had before in the lower back radiating over the hips into the groin, leg, etc. is all gone.
    That's great to hear, man. Glad it's going well!

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

That is fantastic to hear! Congratulations and glad you're feeling much better!

Good to hear you are doing well man! What a relief must be to get better like that....
    My brother was telling me that he kept yanking his mask too when he woke up from surgery once, must be a common problem; maybe although you are awake there is still some anesthesia affecting connections between the brain and some of your organs/muscles.

Good news!

D.
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

I am very happy to hear things are going well! Good for you! Best wishes on getting back to normal (whatever that is). Let me know if you need anything.

Seriously. . . Good for you, Randy!!!!
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Dissconected from this world

Good to hear man!

Wow! That's quite a lot of walking already, Randy!

I hope you heal up fast!
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Congrats! I feel for you on the "it feels better to NOT lay down" part....

Thanks everyone.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."