Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spinal Fusion

Spinal Fusion

Anyone here had the pleasure of getting a spinal fusion? Two weeks from today I get one. Yeah...so excited....not really. This has been going on for years, but I'm at the point where I've tried practically everything and honestly, taking pain meds gets pretty old.

Here's a few pics of what the L3-L5 fusion will look like. A couple titanium rods, 6 pedicle screws, some bone graph for the fusion and a couple cages to go between the vertebrae where my disc used to be.

Attachment 16751

Attachment 16752

Attachment 16753

Attachment 16754

So, has anyone here been through it? How was the recovery? Are you glad you did it or if you had the chance for a do-over, would you opt out against it? How's the mobility after your rehab?

I'm just really curious on what to expect coming from someone that has been through it as opposed to the sunshine the doctor is blowing up my ass. He's supposed to be a great neurosurgeon, but he's never had it done to him.

Thanks for any input,
    Randy
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Re: Spinal Fusion

PM Dysco. He's been to hell and back with back surgery.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Awesome, lol. "...to hell and back"

Thanks!
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Damn, that looks like a load of fun... not. Good luck with it, man.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

OMG!! Good luck Randy, you will be in my thoughts. Whatever you do, take it easy afterwards.. don't even sneeze!
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Damn Randy, good luck man
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

One of the MRA racers had it done a few years ago. He is in my demographic - low 40's male. I can send him an email and see if he wants to share. What I know is before surgery - no walking possible, after surgery racing again...
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Good luck with those metal detectors!
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

+ I got it all yanked out about a year later

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    Good luck with those metal detectors!
    Eh they don't detect titanium.

derekm-

They removed it after the fusion process was complete? Is that necessary or by choice? Did it help you after it was done?

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    One of the MRA racers had it done a few years ago. He is in my demographic - low 40's male. I can send him an email and see if he wants to share. What I know is before surgery - no walking possible, after surgery racing again...
    Thanks for the response. PM'd.

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    derekm-

They removed it after the fusion process was complete? Is that necessary or by choice? Did it help you after it was done?
    my choice. heres the cliff notes- worked at a mc shop. test riding bike on 2 lane one way. explorer turns left in front of me from right lane. my ass (i used to keep my wallet in my rear pocket) collides with door of explorer as low side completes. cant move legs for a couple minutes. so i had a l3 burst fracture- take a hammer to an ice cube for visual effects. it was fusion or torso brace so i chose (l2-l4) fusion . def noticed limited motion so i opted to have them removed once i was "as good as can be" a bit less pain than with hardware in and now way better motion.

Good luck with everything Randy.
    I fractured my L5 before, but it was not bad enough for surgery. Back injuries suck!

Let us know how it goes.

D.
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    ...so i had a l3 burst fracture- take a hammer to an ice cube for visual effects.
    woof.

damn dude. I didn't realize that when you were posting up about it a while back.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Had C6 & C7 fused. Maybe a little less motion, no pain. Had a great neuro, best in the area. 9 years on and only the scar reminds me it happened.

That sucks Randy! I hope this surgery goes well for you. Taking pain meds everyday can't be a good ritual.
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    my choice. heres the cliff notes- worked at a mc shop. test riding bike on 2 lane one way. explorer turns left in front of me from right lane. my ass (i used to keep my wallet in my rear pocket) collides with door of explorer as low side completes. cant move legs for a couple minutes. so i had a l3 burst fracture- take a hammer to an ice cube for visual effects. it was fusion or torso brace so i chose (l2-l4) fusion . def noticed limited motion so i opted to have them removed once i was "as good as can be" a bit less pain than with hardware in and now way better motion.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Randy, give me a call when you get a chance. I had L5-S1 done less than a year ago.
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vehicle 1 View Post
    Good luck with everything Randy.
    I fractured my L5 before, but it was not bad enough for surgery. Back injuries suck!

Let us know how it goes.

D.

Thanks Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    Had C6 & C7 fused. Maybe a little less motion, no pain. Had a great neuro, best in the area. 9 years on and only the scar reminds me it happened.
    Who was your neuro?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    That sucks Randy! I hope this surgery goes well for you. Taking pain meds everyday can't be a good ritual.

Thanks!

Damn Randy! I have nothing to offer, but if there is anything I can do, don't hesitate!