Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racers, how long do your pucks last?

Racers, how long do your pucks last?

How long do they usually last and how thick are the ones you use? just curious
    Firefighters find them hot, leave them wet

Re: Racers, how long do your pucks last?

The Gas and Asphault leathers ones lasted me about 2 - 3 race weekends. I get longer wear out of the plastic sliders but they vibrate on my knee more than the leather pucks and don't have as good a feel as the leather IMO.
    Mike

01 RSVR Mille (street)
    04 RSVR Mille (race)

MRA #98

Suomy Helmets, TK Motorsports, Zero Gravity Windscreens, Morse Racing Products, Motul Lubricants,

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."
    John Wayne

I use to run a set down (plastic) in three race weekends...
    After realizing that they cost around $35 a set, I touch down, and pull my knee in a little, just to know that I'm at the right angle. My last set lasted most of the year.
    Look on ebay for the $18 plastic kind if you want to mash your knee to the ground.........

I like both Leather and plastic.
    I agree with Cowboy on the feel of the sliders.

James

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    I use the Asphalt and Gas ones too. I get about 2-3 weekends out of mine too, but I am trying to make a mental note about dragging them less. I hear a quality set should last most of a season!
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

holy cow you guys are hard on pucks I can get better than a year out of a set of the A&G endurance compound and they have WAY!!!!! better feel than plastic

Bryce
    Bryce Random racing #814

I get most of the year, if not the year on a set... I found out where I am then kinda pull the knee back in some.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Board Newbie

Try to set the puck so the rear touches first. It works sweet on lumpy streets, and grooved center lines.

although I don't do track days(yet). I'm not sure if you guys are allowed to use titanium knee sliders on the tracks. I just got a new set of Motrax Titanium(solid) sliders and have done at least 5 or so weekend rides and they are showing hardly any wear. I do press down hard in order to get the shower of sparks to really fly. Like I say if you are looking for good street sliders the titanium to me as the best value, I get mine cheap here in the US. As for track I don't know if you guys can use them out there.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

how much did you pay for your titaniums and where?
    Firefighters find them hot, leave them wet

it all depends on how hard you use them, but i am on my first set since august, might not be a good comparison because i am so short i am not on them long i a corner

phillip
    mra234

Quote Originally Posted by TheR1Wraith";p="200025
    although I don't do track days(yet). I'm not sure if you guys are allowed to use titanium knee sliders on the tracks. I just got a new set of Motrax Titanium(solid) sliders and have done at least 5 or so weekend rides and they are showing hardly any wear. I do press down hard in order to get the shower of sparks to really fly. Like I say if you are looking for good street sliders the titanium to me as the best value, I get mine cheap here in the US. As for track I don't know if you guys can use them out there.
    You wont be allowed to use them w/ any MRA track days, I think I saw somewhere in the rule book that sliders that produce sparks are not allowed. Also I dont know how many guys would respond to a shower of sparks in a corner.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

I use the Astar Mediums. They last a full season. I usewd to lay on my knee hard and tear pucks up in a couple times out. Now a touch them down slightly.
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil";p="200126
    I usewd to lay on my knee hard and tear pucks up in a couple times out. Now a touch them down slightly.

It's fun when you start draggin' but when you go to replace 'em they cost too much to be wasteing them away. I try to get the guys on the street to trade me their untouched ones for my worn ones

is that why you've never asked for my used pucks... too worn... hmmm, i knew there had to be a reason :P
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

I didn't think "touring" Gortex heated panties had sliders

ok i give ya that one

tried on the leathers... they fit fine!! thanks again
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

I sell the Asphalt & Gas leather knee pucks. I am placing an order for the PPIR weekend. Prices start at $40.00 let me know if anyone wants a set.
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

I have historically run the hardest plastic compounds I could find simply because I can't make myself stop mashing my knee into the ground. I have gotten used to them, but they are really hard and really noisy when they slide...When you can hear your sliders on the pavement when you have your ear plugs in AND over the engine noise, that tells you how hard the compounds are.

I prefer leather pucks, but generally can't get them to last more than a few weekends (6 races & both endurances per weekend). That said, Mike's A&G pucks are the only things that I can get to last and still have that good feel. Although Mike is a pain in the a$$ to deal with, the pucks rock.

(OK OK, I lied. He is easy to deal with. He just can't keep a bike up on two wheels for very long )

dave@MotoSix DOT com |
    MRA #31, WERA #311

I went through about 2.5 sets last season. I used to keep my knee down all the way through the corner, but now I just touch it down to see where I'm at then lift it once I know I'm at full lean (except for turn 3 at Pueblo, where it seems that my knee is touching both the ground and my fairing at the same time ). The first 2 sets last year were plastic, then I got an old (unused) set of A&G (Asphalt & Gas) from TK and I really like them. They're about 1" thick (7/8", to be precise). Because the A&G are made of leather, they give you more feedback than plastic, they're easier on the knees, and because they grab (more than plastic), they can be used (somewhat) to help slow down your corner speed if need be (just press your knee down harder) .

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller";p="200211
    I didn't think "touring" Gortex heated panties had sliders
    See, look, I know I'm homophobic, but not about gay guys. They don't bother me at all. It's straight guys who don't know their gay... they fuck my shit right up

Quote Originally Posted by TheR1Wraith";p="200025
    I'm not sure if you guys are allowed to use titanium knee sliders on the tracks.
    The MRA does not allow them, however the tracks themselves might - you would have to check with each track individually. I don't think it would be a problem other than the distraction it would cause to other riders.

Titanium toe-sliders, on the other hand, are fine (as long as they are OEM, as they are on the Oxtar TCS Evo Ti )

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    Mike also has very cool custom A&G sliders for a little extra!
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Mike, I'm due for a set soon, so keep me in mind when you place that order. My last set I purchased from Mike towards the end of '03 (if I'm remembering correctly) and still have a bit of life in them.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

hey Sparker,

I get my titanium knee sliders from CycleGear.com. They offer them in solid and studded sliders. The studded sliders have 6 titanium studs in them and wear fairly fast. I used them first to see how fast they would wear with the studs, they went quickly. These (Full)Titanium are basically a titanium shell over a regular plastic knee slider. So when the shell either wears off or comes off you have a plastic slider underneath as well. You can get them in tear drop style(ones I use) because they are fatter for longevity. Or oval pucks. Same with the studded sliders. Teardrop or Oval. Studded sliders come in different colors too.

Prices for the Teardrop and Oval Titanium's are $55.99 I think shipping is like $5.

For the Studded plastic, Ovals are $26.99 and the Teardrops are $29.99 same shipping.

I use Cyclegear because they are only distributor in the US that sells the sliders. Oh yeah they are listed under "MOTRAX".. When you do a search just type in Motrax and it will bring up everything by Motrax. The sliders are on page 2 I think.

www.cyclegear.com

is the site.. sliders are great, last a long time. Plus getting them from Cyclegear you don't have to pay the high cost of importing them from the UK which is the only other place I've been able to find them...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."